General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Crap I think I lost my keys!

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2014, 07:50 AM

Crap I think I lost my keys!

Can you get new keys made to fit existing door,/ignition,trunk locks? Or will I have to pull them all and replace?

Anyone?

This is on my '69 Cutlass.
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Fyi

Just use your back up keys....oh wait. You didn't bother to cut them did you?

A qualified locksmith can come to the vehicle & make keys for your car. It will cost you about 50 times as much as a spare set of keys would have cost.
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Just use your back up keys....oh wait. You didn't bother to cut them did you?

A qualified locksmith can come to the vehicle & make keys for your car. It will cost you about 50 times as much as a spare set of keys would have cost.

And yet still be far cheaper than getting a new key for a 2015 car.
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Runner

I accidentally locked my only set of keys in my trunk. The Cutlass at the time also had subs in the trunk drilled in so I could go through the back seat. Had to get a lock smith to drill a tiny hole in the trunk lock to pick it.

But yes, you can get keys made. But like mentioned above, its a lot more expensive then getting duplicates made. So for those out there reading this that have only one set... GO GET SPARES MADE!
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:53 AM

I have a spare set, but god knows where they are. The last time I had the originals was this September, and the spares I can't even remember the last time I saw them.
I called a lock smith and he said to remove the glove box lock and the door lock and he could make new keys from them. I didn't ask a price. I'll continue looking before I tear anything apart. God forbid I have to rekey the entire car.
Thanks,
Jon
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Runner

Luckily, I didn't lock my actual car when I had the keys in the trunk so I tried this as well. The lock smith charged around $40-$50 to get a key for that. He said that glove box locks actually have a few less "teeth" then doors so he cut me every combination after that. However, I found out that my locks were not original and then still didn't match.
Good luck!
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Randy C.

If you can get to the key code on your glove box cylinder, a locksmith should be able to make a key for that, which should also open your trunk so you can get your ignition and door keys!

I locked my keys in the trunk of my '69 4-4-2 back in the late '70s. The locksmith came to my house and trimmed the ring the holds the lock cylinder into my trunk latch mechanism such that he could pull the lock cylinder and open the trunk with a screwdriver. No holes drilled or anything - just needed to replace the ring that holds the lock cylinder into the trunk latch mechanism which the locksmith also did on-site.

Randy C.
Old December 10th, 2014, 11:36 AM

what?

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
If you can get to the key code on your glove box cylinder, a locksmith should be able to make a key for that, which should also open your trunk so you can get your ignition and door keys!

I locked my keys in the trunk of my '69 4-4-2 back in the late '70s. The locksmith came to my house and trimmed the ring the holds the lock cylinder into my trunk latch mechanism such that he could pull the lock cylinder and open the trunk with a screwdriver. No holes drilled or anything - just needed to replace the ring that holds the lock cylinder into the trunk latch mechanism which the locksmith also did on-site.

Randy C.

But his keys aren't in the trunk...they are lost.
Old December 10th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Frank Ignachuck

My 56 Super 88 has a remote start feature. If you put anything that remotely resembles a key into the ignition, it will start.....
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jon69olds
Can you get new keys made to fit existing door,/ignition,trunk locks? Or will I have to pull them all and replace?

Anyone?

This is on my '69 Cutlass.
Get the key code off the glovebox lock and one of the door locks. I can punch a new key from the code. $10 for the first of each code and $2 for each subsequent duplicate.
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Get the key code off the glovebox lock and one of the door locks. I can punch a new key from the code. $10 for the first of each code and $2 for each subsequent duplicate.
I don't suppose you can re-tumbler a worn out lock too?
Old December 10th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Professur
I don't suppose you can re-tumbler a worn out lock too?
I have a selection of some tumblers, as well as new springs and outer caps, so yes. I can also pull the tumblers out and measure them to make a key if the code is not stamped on the outside of the lock cylinder.
Old December 10th, 2014, 03:35 PM
major noob

Originally Posted by ignachuck
My 56 Super 88 has a remote start feature. If you put anything that remotely resembles a key into the ignition, it will start.....
That's great
Old December 10th, 2014, 05:38 PM

It looks like Joe has you covered. That is a great deal. If you want to find the original keys, just pay big money for replacements and they will magically show up the next day.
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:02 PM

My ignition key for my 65 Corvette will work in my best friends 56 Belaire and his will start my Vette... lol
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Joe did this for me....saved my axx!
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:26 AM

I have a selection of some tumblers, as well as new springs and outer caps, so yes. I can also pull the tumblers out and measure them to make a key if the code is not stamped on the outside of the lock cylinder.

Joe,
That's awesome. Stupid question, but I imagine the only way to get the door/ignition number is to pull either the steering wheel or the door panel?
Old December 11th, 2014, 05:36 AM

I have a spare set, but god knows where they are.
You'll, of course, probably find that spare set (or the main set) shortly after you have another set cut. At least that's the way it often works for me.
Old December 11th, 2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by FMB42
You'll, of course, probably find that spare set (or the main set) shortly after you have another set cut. At least that's the way it often works for me.
Look behind the headlamp!
Old December 11th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe,
That's awesome. Stupid question, but I imagine the only way to get the door/ignition number is to pull either the steering wheel or the door panel?
Correct.
Old December 11th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by stellar
If you want to find the original keys, just pay big money for replacements and they will magically show up the next day.
This is what ALWAYS happens to me with tools. No sooner do I get back from the store with the replacement for the tool that I couldn't find, than the original falls from the sky and lands at my feet...
Old December 11th, 2014, 08:27 AM

This is what ALWAYS happens to me with tools. No sooner do I get back from the store with the replacement for the tool that I couldn't find, than the original falls from the sky and lands at my feet...
For me it's when I've used it and go to put the new one away ...and it clanks off the old one.
Old December 11th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Pretty sure that's one of Murphy's laws.
Old December 11th, 2014, 03:28 PM

Laughing out loud now because that has never happened to me.
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:55 PM

Talking The blame game

The best way to find something is to blame somebody for taking them. At one time I used to wait and search before assigning blame. Now I assign blame immediately and low and behold they appear instantly(Usually where I left them).
Old December 12th, 2014, 01:42 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

You should be able to unlock the door with a bent wire coat hanger quicker than with the key. Getting the ignition barrel out without damaging it will take a bit longer, but can be done.
Old cars are ridiculously easy to break into and steal, have a search on the web, it shouldn't take long to find a site with good advice as to how to do it.
When you get in the car have a look under the seat or in the ashtray, I wouldn't be surprised if you find your lost keys there.

Roger.
Old December 12th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rustyroger
You should be able to unlock the door with a bent wire coat hanger quicker than with the key. Getting the ignition barrel out without damaging it will take a bit longer, but can be done.
Old cars are ridiculously easy to break into and steal, have a search on the web, it shouldn't take long to find a site with good advice as to how to do it.
When you get in the car have a look under the seat or in the ashtray, I wouldn't be surprised if you find your lost keys there.

Roger.
Actually, a slim jim (the metal one, not the "beef" one) is a much better way to break into a locked Olds. I can unlock my cars faster with a slim jim than with the keys.
Old December 12th, 2014, 07:34 AM

Thankfully the doors were unlocked. I'm still looking for the keys (either set). I haven't totally given up hope yet.
Old December 12th, 2014, 11:12 AM

Can you keep an eye out for my mind while you're looking for those lost keys? Thanks.
Old December 12th, 2014, 03:14 PM

Actually, a slim jim (the metal one, not the "beef" one) is a much better way to break into a locked Olds. I can unlock my cars faster with a slim jim than with the keys.
Agreed. One time in college I found I had locked my keys in the car, so I walked to the metal shop and quickly fabricated a slim jim. After opening the car, I stored the slim jim behind the right-side headlights under the hood (the car didn't have a hood lock). I never had to worry about locking my keys in the car again.
Old December 13th, 2014, 03:51 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Thankfully the doors were unlocked. I'm still looking for the keys (either set). I haven't totally given up hope yet.
No problem getting a key made from a lock barrel then. I would use the passenger door lock as it will probably be less worn than the drivers.

Over here carrying a "Slim Jim" can be interpreted as "Going equipped to steal" by the police. Good luck trying to get into a modern car with one!.

Roger.
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:31 AM

Over here carrying a "Slim Jim" can be interpreted as "Going equipped to steal" by the police.
On this side they're also considered to be a burglar's tool (just like a pry-bar, large screw driver, lock pick, etc).
Good luck trying to get into a modern car with one!.Roger.
I've seen a few '80s cars with damaged electric door locks due to being Slim Jimed.
Old December 13th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Over here carrying a "Slim Jim" can be interpreted as "Going equipped to steal" by the police. Good luck trying to get into a modern car with one!.

Roger.
New cars have features designed into the lock mechanisms to block the use of a slim jim. On older cars, this is not a problem.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 09:27 AM

I FOUND THEM!!!! WOOHOO!!!! I think I'll get 2 spare sets made. Thank god I didn't tear the car apart and get keys made.
Thanks for all the help.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 01:51 PM

I FOUND THEM!!!! WOOHOO!!!! I think I'll get 2 spare sets made. Thank god I didn't tear the car apart and get keys made.
Thanks for all the help.
Found them where is the question? A nice Xmas present for you with that find!
Old December 24th, 2014, 07:38 AM

keys?/

man, just read this thread a little while ago, got me thinkin, huh, just got back from the hardeware store!! spare olds keys and I even splurged for extra shop keys, thanks for the wakeup!!
Old December 24th, 2014, 09:27 AM
72 Olds CS

Mmm I long for the old keys, I just had a key made, $85 I felt like I got a deal because the dealer told me a hundred....it's a chip key for a newer car.
Old December 26th, 2014, 06:15 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Mmm I long for the old keys, I just had a key made, $85 I felt like I got a deal because the dealer told me a hundred....it's a chip key for a newer car.
Keys for a lot of modern EU spec cars can cost hundreds of pounds, (even more in US$ ).

Roger.
Old December 27th, 2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Found them where is the question? A nice Xmas present for you with that find!
Is there a particular reason why you won't share with us where you found the mislaid keys? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old December 27th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Frank Ignachuck

X2 Hundreds of us have been looking for those keys for you and we need to know where they were!

Quick Reply: Crap I think I lost my keys!