General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cowl screen and rubber

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2014, 04:27 PM

Cowl screen and rubber

Ok just installed cowl screen and new rubber seal ( from parts place). Everything looks perfect but now when I shut the hood it sits 1/4-3/8" higher than the fenders at the rear. What gives? Will the weight of the hood compress the rubber over time? Thought I had all my gap issues behind me
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:19 AM

hood

Hi Bug Man;
I have the same problem.
OAI hood had a perfect fit after paint, but once I put the new rubber on, it's raised like yours in the back. Tryed a used rubber strip which helped a bit but still high.
Is there an adjustment on the hinges, anyone?
Thanks
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket North
Hi Bug Man;
I have the same problem.
OAI hood had a perfect fit after paint, but once I put the new rubber on, it's raised like yours in the back. Tryed a used rubber strip which helped a bit but still high.
Is there an adjustment on the hinges, anyone?
Thanks

yep same situation. Perfect gaps and alignment after paint and I do NOT want to go messing with the hood and fenders again after paint. Scratches for sure . Maybe someone on here has a solution !
Old February 10th, 2014, 07:10 AM

IIRC, some of the aftermarket seals are made using a solid foam, and others use the correct stuff which is hollow. Ask Costpenn, he had the same problem..
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
IIRC, some of the aftermarket seals are made using a solid foam, and others use the correct stuff which is hollow. Ask Costpenn, he had the same problem..

The one I used is definitely hollow and shaped correctly
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:02 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The after (repro) market offers a dense and less dense durometer seal. Typically a repro house that doesn't necessarily deal with Olds as their main line will offer a will fit for a Chevelle or other GM A body. Contact either an Olds specific repro house or go directly at the seal manufacture such as softseal or steel rubber etc...Check Fusick or Year One. This subject has been discussed here before, do a search.
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:03 AM

Soffseal makes a very compressible product that I used and it works fine. I also have a Metro seal that's much more ridged. I believe the Metro seal is more "correct" but it doesn't function as well as the Soffseal.
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Soffseal makes a very compressible product that I used and it works fine. I also have a Metro seal that's much more ridged. I believe the Metro seal is more "correct" but it doesn't function as well as the Soffseal.
I will check with The parts place and see if they have another option. The material in this one is very soft and I can compress it between two fingers easily and it is not solid( has correct air spaces in it. Thanks for the input
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Bug Man
The material in this one is very soft and I can compress it between two fingers easily and it is not solid( has correct air spaces in it. Thanks for the input
Since this is the soft stuff, try keeping the hood closed for a while in a warm place - it will compress down over time. Mine did.
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Since this is the soft stuff, try keeping the hood closed for a while in a warm place - it will compress down over time. Mine did.

That is my plan. I got lucky and got it on where it looks really good and I dang sure don't want to take it off ! The key word here is "warm place". 8 degrees here this morning !!Damn I'm ready for spring Thanks again guys !
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Bug Man
Damn I'm ready for spring Thanks again guys !
You and I both!
Solution - drive the car more! Let engine heat help!
It took a year or so for mine to settle, but I often leave the hood open in the garage, as I have the charger on the battery and I just like to admire the clean engine bay each time i walk out there...