General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Covertible Top Question

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:09 PM

Covertible Top Question

I am putting this here as I cannot figure out which other sub-forum it should go in.

On my '68, I need to put the top down, but I don't currently have any power to the car (wire harnesses out, etc.). Can I carefully lower the top by hand without damaging anything? Or can someone show me an easy (and correct) way to jumper the top motor from the trunk?

Thanks,
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:27 PM

Unhook the cylinders from the frame, knock your latches loose and fold it back. I have been opening and closing mine by hand for the last year until I get time to replace my top, lift cylinders and hoses. BTW your 68 looks nice from the photo.

Last edited by Bayou Olds; August 2nd, 2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell for squat!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:06 AM

I unbolted my cylinder arms from the top frame and as I was pushing up on the front of the top, I noticed the top frame area around the cylinder arms was pushing down on the cylinder arms. I really don't want to bend them. How do you move them out of the way?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM

I just used a piece of old speaker wire w/alligator clips & a battery sitting on the floor.

Neg to car body
Pos to a nail in the clip.
I briefly touched the nail to the one of the pump's spade connectors to figure out which terminal was up and which was down.
Then I just held the nail to the proper terminal and ran the top down...

My only problem was that the car was sitting sideways across my garage and I feared the top would hit the garage door track. So I had my (then) 5 yo son warn me if it got to close as I was crouched in the back seat area of the car under the top. I heard a bang and my son said "Yep, dad. You hit it." Me = Thanks, son!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
I just used a piece of old speaker wire w/alligator clips & a battery sitting on the floor.

Neg to car body
Pos to a nail in the clip.
I briefly touched the nail to the one of the pump's spade connectors to figure out which terminal was up and which was down.
Then I just held the nail to the proper terminal and ran the top down...

My only problem was that the car was sitting sideways across my garage and I feared the top would hit the garage door track. So I had my (then) 5 yo son warn me if it got to close as I was crouched in the back seat area of the car under the top. I heard a bang and my son said "Yep, dad. You hit it." Me = Thanks, son!
Thanks Indy, that worked. I had to pull the backseat to get to the wire connector, but once that was done a couple of 12 gauge wires with alligator clips on them and the top was down.