General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Correct Alternator Mounting Barkers?

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2013, 08:12 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Correct Alternator Mounting Barkers?

Am I missing something (see pics)? The bottom part of the alternator is supported my an obvious non-stock turnbuckle. It works, but what is the correct way? I have another bracket (see last pic) that I'm planning on using, but I've seen it with or without a back supporting bracket. Do I need the back bracket? By the way, I'm going to be using these brackets on my new 455.

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0781 (Medium).jpg (56.7 KB, 42 views)
IMG_0782 (Medium).jpg (68.3 KB, 38 views)
IMG_0783 (Medium).jpg (63.8 KB, 36 views)
IMG_0810 (Medium).jpg (76.8 KB, 34 views)
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:38 AM

The first one needs a piece that's kinda triangle shaped. The second one is missing the H shaped piece. I know there's some old posts with pictures, if you have time try the search option with my name to see what comes up. The factory thought they were needed, I've never run an engine without them. But think it may vibrate too much and eventually break something without the support.

Both of these are common brackets. I've got extras of them both and know several other members here do too. I'd encourage you to decide which one to run with and create a parts wanted thread with your location and see what gets offered.

John
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:52 AM
72 Olds CS

Can't tell for sure but it looks like the PS bracket is missing the spacer where it mounts to the WP as well
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Can't tell for sure but it looks like the PS bracket is missing the spacer where it mounts to the WP as well
No it's there, two 3/4" nuts! I'm going to have to make something up to replace them.
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
The first one needs a piece that's kinda triangle shaped. The second one is missing the H shaped piece. I know there's some old posts with pictures, if you have time try the search option with my name to see what comes up. The factory thought they were needed, I've never run an engine without them. But think it may vibrate too much and eventually break something without the support.

Both of these are common brackets. I've got extras of them both and know several other members here do too. I'd encourage you to decide which one to run with and create a parts wanted thread with your location and see what gets offered.

John

Thanks John. I'll probably go with the second one. I'll have to search out a "H" bracket then.