General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

convertible top replacement, Phoenix area

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2016, 10:38 AM

convertible top replacement, Phoenix area

I'm looking to have the original convertible top replaced on my '81 Hess & Eisenhardt Olds 98. The car is in Phoenix, AZ. So far I have contacted two of the larger shops in the area. One had every excuse under the sun as to why he didn't want to do it. He recommended a second shop, who agreed to do the work and provided a written estimate. Now he is not returning any of my phone calls. I want an excellent quality job and am willing to pay for that quality. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old January 27th, 2016, 03:33 PM

I have a few names that were referrals from friends and fellow Olds Club members, but I have not had personal experience with any of them so I can't say anything about their work.

I'm not sure who the "larger shops" are but it sounds odd that they don't want to work on your car.
Old January 27th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Maybe they find the idea of an '81 Olds 98 convertible a little threatening, since it wasn't a factory build ...?
Old January 28th, 2016, 06:32 AM

What kind of shops are you calling? I know I'm not in AZ, but around here in southern Maryland, I started checking out some of the local upholstery shops when I needed some interior work done and most of them also do the 'vert tops. The guy that I went to had a '69 firebird convertible as his own personal car. While we were talking we got on the subject of redoing the tops (his looked GREAT by the way). He said that he does not like the kits that are sold because they are never entirely correct. He said that he could do a custom top that would match the original in every way for around $1000.

The only reason that I'm bringing this up is that you might want to look at some of the smaller "Mom and Pop" upholstery shops instead of the larger ones.
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Maybe they find the idea of an '81 Olds 98 convertible a little threatening, since it wasn't a factory build ...?
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. The owner of the original shop that I spoke to, said he called around to six other shops, and none of them wanted the job. The second place that never returned my calls had decided that this would need to be a custom top.
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
What kind of shops are you calling? I know I'm not in AZ, but around here in southern Maryland, I started checking out some of the local upholstery shops when I needed some interior work done and most of them also do the 'vert tops. The guy that I went to had a '69 firebird convertible as his own personal car. While we were talking we got on the subject of redoing the tops (his looked GREAT by the way). He said that he does not like the kits that are sold because they are never entirely correct. He said that he could do a custom top that would match the original in every way for around $1000.

The only reason that I'm bringing this up is that you might want to look at some of the smaller "Mom and Pop" upholstery shops instead of the larger ones.
I'm a little leery about the smaller outfits as I've heard some pretty awful stories about some of the results. No doubt a lot of them are good, but you don't know what you're going to get back until it's done and then it's too late.

I have had a referral from another board, that has had cars in Barrett Jackson and Russo & Steele auctions, so will check them out next week.