General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Convertible Owners!

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Convertible Owners!

Hey, all.

Just a query on everybody's convertible top lowering procedure. I usually lower the top most of the way (maybe about 7/8s) so it sits about two feet high in the well and then I go back there and pull out as many wrinkles as I can and generally smooth everything out so it lies as flat as possible. Then I lower it the rest of the way. That's the way my dad did it and his dad before him (for all I know).

But recently it occurred to me that most of my dad's convertibles were manual tops. So here's the question: does leaving the top partially up for a couple of minutes while I sort things out cause any excessive stress on or damage to the hydraulic cylinders? How do you guys put your tops down?

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; October 4th, 2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old October 4th, 2017, 10:49 AM
71 cutlass convertible

You put your top up. I never heard of such a thing.

I have a 71 cutlass convertible. I just use the switch to raise and lower. I will admit to that is an older top with some small rips starting. With a new top I might be more careful. My Father has a Miata with a manual top. You have to move one of the ribs around as you are putting it down for it to work properly.

I don't think you are hurting anything by stopping for a couple of minutes to smooth things out. I wouldn't leave it like that over night. It might help keep your top from ripping but I don't know.
Old October 4th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I wouldn't leave it like that over night. It might help keep your top from ripping but I don't know.
Thanks for your input. No, I never leave it like that for more than a few minutes.

I usually put the top up a couple of times every summer to stretch it out.
Old October 4th, 2017, 11:39 AM

You are lowering the top correctly - it's been many years since I've looked, but I think that is how it is described in the manual, and is also how I lower the top on my car.

You will not harm anything by leaving the top partially down.
Old October 4th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Randy C.

I do it the same way, and that's because that's the way my dad did it! I also put the hooks in so I can install the boot after the top is all the way down.

Randy C.

Last edited by rcorrigan5; October 4th, 2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: consideration for the boot, too
Old October 4th, 2017, 11:55 AM

I never do that and I hav two brand new tops. Interestingly one top I leave down almost all summer and then pop it up in the late fall and it usually stays up until late spring. Seems like it is just fine. The other one (on Cutlass) goes up and down all the time) the upholstery shop who just did the Cutlass top says you put the top up and the end of the day all the time. Keeps it from wrinkling.
Old October 4th, 2017, 02:20 PM

I believe, will not swear, that the convertible top manual describes the very same process you use. It is also the process I use.
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:50 PM

You can now swear to it. I didn't scan all 12 pages of this, just the first few. Note steps 2a through c on page 4.

Old October 4th, 2017, 05:02 PM

Have had my '65 convertible since '74, always have top clean before lowering and if it has a plastic window I put a thin towel in where the window folds. If I leave the top down for extended time I put the top most of the way up and leave it in the sun for a while to let it warm up and stretch. Managed to crack windshield once by trying raise and lock down top after it had been down for few weeks.
Old October 4th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Thanks guys. I guess I'm doing the right thing.

I never stopped to consider that I might crack the windshield by putting the top up cold, though. Thanks for that!

And thanks to Jaunty for the top manual post. I think they'd stopped providing those by '69.
Old October 4th, 2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Managed to crack windshield once by trying raise and lock down top after it had been down for few weeks.
Did you crack the windshield or the plastic rear window?
Old October 4th, 2017, 06:12 PM

Windshield and it was original glass.
Old October 4th, 2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Windshield and it was original glass.
Wow I never thought of that as most of the time I need to use some decent leverage to get the top to move that last 1.4 inch to lock. Lately I just close it all the way, leave it sit over night and lock it the next morning if need be or just lower it again.
Old October 5th, 2017, 05:29 AM

I do mine the way the OP described. I also read it in the manual.
Old October 5th, 2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
You can now swear to it. I didn't scan all 12 pages of this, just the first few. Note steps 2a through c on page 4.
Good to know the ol' memory has not yet failed me!
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:50 AM

I Remember reading the folding tip when I had my 1971-CS convertible (1982-1993).
I did not have a garage in Massachusetts, so every night the top went up.
Every morning the top went down.
I did not like to do the Extra folding steps, so I Cheated.

After getting on to my local street, I would drive at 3-5 mph down the road, very slowly.
Then I would put the top down (Don’t try this at home, I was a kid).
The light wind would push the folds towards the trunk and the roof would close nicely.
With the engine Running, the small 62-Amp alternator would make the roof close much faster than on battery.

I now have a 1969 442 "Rag-Top", project car.
It needs everything. The 30-year-old roof is literally a bunch of rags.
If I do put a new top on it, I think I will just follow the instruction manual.
Old January 16th, 2018, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
You put your top up. I never heard of such a thing.

I have a 71 cutlass convertible. I just use the switch to raise and lower. I will admit to that is an older top with some small rips starting. With a new top I might be more careful. My Father has a Miata with a manual top. You have to move one of the ribs around as you are putting it down for it to work properly.

I don't think you are hurting anything by stopping for a couple of minutes to smooth things out. I wouldn't leave it like that over night. It might help keep your top from ripping but I don't know.
Mines older but I also stop it 3/4 of the way down and fold the floppy parts in so it wont bind up, takes only a few seconds.

My Miata takes only seconds to lower after the back glass is stowed if your Dad's doesn't it's out of adjustment somewhere. These things are noted for quick and easy up and down of their tops..... Tedd
Old January 18th, 2018, 03:16 PM

I do it as you do. It's good to see that in the body manual. I some times leave the top down for weeks at a time and it really doesn't want to stretch out and go back up completely.
Old January 18th, 2018, 03:44 PM

I have had two 66 convertibles in my life.

I always check the folds when droping the top and put a towel on the plastic window. Never leave the top down overnight and gently pull down the front when locking down.

Thanks
Wayne