General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

convertible conversion

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM

convertible conversion

ok you guys may hate me for this... but i have a 82' cutlass supreme and i wanted to try something new... cutting off the top and making it a convertible, i know how much work this may be and what all goes in to it but the one thing i cant find is a top! does anyone know of a place or website that can build me a custom convertible top? doesnt have to be electric, but just thought i would ask, or anywhere that at least be able to build a frame that the cloth could be applied to?
Thanks All
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Registered

Why not?

Sounds like a cool project to me.

If you just want a frame with material try a boat trim shop, they usually make the full boat covers too and may be listed that way. They make custom fold-down canvas tops all the time and build or have the frames. They can even do removable side curtains if you want to get fancy. I'm not sure how fast you could go with it up, most boats are a lot slower than cars.

Try the convertible parts places, some have old frames. I think unless they had any ideas or you can find a similar conversion with info you would have to do some serious measuring and make a header, side window profile and well templates to compare them to and find one that would fit without much modification or to possibly fabricate one.
No cars similar to that body that were 'verts?
The places that did the factory 'vert conversions like ASC may steer you the right direction if you contact them, or they'll engineer the whole conversion and design and build a prototype for you for probably around a cool million.
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Oldsdruid

Ask the gangsta donk crowd. They seem to have done a few of these. Can't vouch for the engineering and quality of work though.

If you've got a 455 you better be prepared to do some serious bracing. Top structure and b-pillar is the main body strength in these cars. Cutting off the top will eliminate both.

An early 80s Eldorado or Riviera convertible conversion would be a good place to start looking to see what you'll have to do and what you'll get into.
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 455Gbody
ok you guys may hate me for this... but i have a 82' cutlass supreme and i wanted to try something new... cutting off the top and making it a convertible, i know how much work this may be and what all goes in to it but the one thing i cant find is a top! does anyone know of a place or website that can build me a custom convertible top? doesnt have to be electric, but just thought i would ask, or anywhere that at least be able to build a frame that the cloth could be applied to?
Thanks All
Unless you can adapt an existing top frame, expect to pay BIG bucks for a custom convertible top. ASC used to be the experts in this area. As others have noted, removing the top will require MAJOR structural reinforcement to be safe. Just because the donk crowd has done it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. Without major frame reinforcement, expect to have problems with the doors opening and closing.
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:22 AM

I have seen it done on a newer Cadillac. I believe it was all custom made by some company. I know they did have a bunch of box tubing welded to the bottom of the car for strength. It actually wasn't a gangsta donk person that did it, it was some old guy. Of course that car wasn't a full frame car, so I don't know how much of a difference that makes.