General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Coming regulations on painting cars at home

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2010, 09:00 AM

Coming regulations on painting cars at home

I know this was discussed a while back but I was not able to come up with the old thread. I have a story to share on the topic.

Yesterday I was visiting with a friend who works in an upholstery shop that does a lot of automotive work. They farm out large painting projects, like convertible top frames. But occasionally they paint a small part or touch up a scratch on the interior of the car. I asked my friend if he's heard about this coming regulation. As a matter of fact... the shop was visited by a couple guys from the DEQ to discuss it. They informed him that for the shop to be in compliance they would need a filtration system that could filter out 95% (I believe that's the number he told me) of the volatiles released during painting. After the visit the owner of the shop read up on the regulation, and out of curiosity contacted his paint supplier to see if they had provided a customer list to the DEQ. They said they had not. So apparently the agency is going through the yellow pages and contacting businesses that may do painting.

Heads up, this is really happening!
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Yes it is true but on a good note the home auto restorer will be allowed to paint two cars a year with out getting into trouble.

Its is on the EPA web site.

Local regs may also come into play so you have to check into that also....
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM

That's good. I didn't know about the exception. I will need to check our state as our environmental regulations follow California pretty close, which are pretty tight. John
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Oldsdruid

Bottom line is if you're getting paid, they want their cut. Government-sanctioned extortion in other words.

A couple years back some DMV goons were spotted at shows in several states taking down antique and YOM license numbers on show cars.

Stupid-asses need to realise the guys who show cars are the ones who will be in compliance. It's the guys who try to get over on the system by putting them on a daily driver that they need to worry about.
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Yes - it's coming. Be vigilant because these EPA lunatics will come after our cars eventually.

Remember Thomas Jefferson:

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

Personally, I love my carbon footprint, love my non-emission Oldsmobiles, and love my gas guzzling Escalade - and I love painting cars in my garage....and will do so until they drag me out in handcuffs!
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1!

- Eric
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
That's good. I didn't know about the exception. I will need to check our state as our environmental regulations follow California pretty close, which are pretty tight. John

im a painter in CA, there is no painting cars at home in CA unless you have a regulated booth!! they give you 1 warning than fine you thousands! they have also banned solvent paints in alot of CA countys there making us use piece of chit water borne paints!! every color of water borne paint is white and smells like elmers glue, i paint solvant kandys so ive had 2 have cars towed a hour away 2 a different county just 2 shoot legaly!!

if you guys are painting at home i hope you have a huge dual stage compressor with a dryer!! a small compressor wont keep a even amount of air pressure and will cause spraying/splattering and major orange peel, most shops will rent there booth for 50-200 you guys might want 2 ask around b4 you shoot at home paint in a booth comes out 100 times better than paint at home!!

i have a bad *** gun for sale if any1 id looking for a gun, sata hvlp 3000 digital 1.3 tip it looks brand new!! its only a little wear from teh gun holder ive only used it 5 times it ws a gift from a supplyer, i just ordered a sata 4000 hvlp and sata 4000 rp so im gettn rid of my older guns, ill post pics in a few, 360 shipped
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001 (2).JPG (144.1 KB, 15 views)
002 (2).JPG (150.3 KB, 16 views)
004.JPG (167.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by sx455raidercelticfan; December 15th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:40 PM

Nice gift and a better profit.

It must suck living in CA - but I fear the rest of the states will end up like them if we don't learn from them first.

I am with Oldsdad when it comes to painting myself...
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:00 AM

I'm increasing my carbon footprint, it's the only way I can get back at leftist scum. I celebrate Earth Day by driving all three of my V8 powered vehicles. I wish I could drive them all at once.