General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Close encounters of the Hurst kind

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2013, 06:32 PM

Close encounters of the Hurst kind

Cool story,
Recently, my accomplice & I were delivering some parts to a customer & found out his neighbor right across the alley has a '74 Delta conv. pace car. It runs & drives & looks good from 30 ft maybe. Has some bodywork for sure, but otherwise pretty original.
He told me $15,000.00 for it, but I was thinking a bit lower.
He bought it in '78 & it has 217,000 miles on the original small block with only a timing chain.
Got his name & number if anyone is interested.

Then, in the same day, at a different location, we made a deal on a '69 cutlass conv. parts car & it just so happened that same guy had a '69 H/O. His current wife bought the car new, raced it & blew the engine & had a service block installed & traded it in '70 for a W30!! She just recently bought the car back after it sat unloved for many years. It will need about every panel & even the frame replaced, but is pretty much a complete car. He told me it was one of the first '69's to be converted at the Demmer? plant?
He said it might be the first '69 H/O made. The last 6 of the vin are 000012. He asked me to not take pictures & I respected that. Original paint, original 2 piece disc hubs in front, wing, mirrors, all 5 wheels. Even though she is terribly rusted, she still looks cool!! I'd have to drive it as is for a while.
Never know what you might find out there...
Delta pix,
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps14108e51.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...psa45cfc72.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1642c53d.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps4c2f5307.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1456479f.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps38bbc3a9.jpg
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:03 PM
morgan

Did she have any reason why you couldnt take any pics of the H/O ?
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM

The guy has a lot of nice stuff & is wary of strangers & of anyone knowing he has the car. He didn't know me & didn't really want me to see the car, but some of the parts for the car we were buying were in the same garage.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:58 PM

years ago when my territory was Indiana, i went to look at a 67 camaro ss 396 it was J-U-N-K,it belonged to the guys wife...she drove it thru school etc everyday since she bought it, it eventually got so rusty it was dangerous to drive

but there where 15+ cutlass pace cars there..mostly converts and a few hardtops....they where everywhere you looked, right outside of Indianapolis metro area...said one was a festival car the other a track car...those where the ones i saw, he said there where more on the property..but wouldnt show me, and he was really nervous when i commented how cool the pace cars where...

ever run across that guy?
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:05 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Wowser Shame about the '69 H/O I guess he was embarrassed about letting it get that bad
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
years ago when my territory was Indiana, i went to look at a 67 camaro ss 396 it was J-U-N-K,it belonged to the guys wife...she drove it thru school etc everyday since she bought it, it eventually got so rusty it was dangerous to drive

but there where 15+ cutlass pace cars there..mostly converts and a few hardtops....they where everywhere you looked, right outside of Indianapolis metro area...said one was a festival car the other a track car...those where the ones i saw, he said there where more on the property..but wouldnt show me, and he was really nervous when i commented how cool the pace cars where...

ever run across that guy?
I know there's an old thread that has pictures of several cars like that. Bet its the same guy.

I've a friend with way more time and money than I have for the car hobby. He will NOT let very many people into his barns and sheds to see his treasure. His concern is that if word gets out what he's got then its only a matter of time before people are trying to steal stuff.
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:45 PM

69 h/o

I almost where there is a 69 H/O in west texas dirty and covered with crap/boxes/stuff. From what i have heard anyway, i havnt actually seen the car but know several people who have. For along time the rumor was it was his sons that was killed in Viet Nam....... I know we have all heard that story!
Actually his son was killed but it was a farming accident. RIP Anyway the car has sat ever since, i think from the 70's or 80's. Next time i go home im going to find it. I also know he has been offered the moon for the car and wont sell it.
I bought a 67 coz i had one when i was 19 but i still think the 69 H/O is the ultimate muscle car ever!!!
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:21 AM

The guy that now owns itJ(actually his wifes car), bought it from the widow of the guy that let it rot so bad. He tried to buy it for years & the guy would not sell. Current owner told him he would buy it at his funeral & that's what he did. Take that!!
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:02 PM

Scott, you are the MAN, VIN #12, could possibly be the first released to the public, or on of them anyway. I'd be curious to see what body # it is also. I respect the fellow's wishes for no pics. He/she probably doesn't wanted to be hounded by every "collector" that will (or might) take advantage of the situation.
I have really grown an appreciation for un-restored cars (actually I've loved them LONG before the current trend) and MIGHT just leave that one alone.
Back in August, I visited a museum in Oxnard CA with some friends on our Pebble Beach trip. Anyway, the owner of the museum liked French cars,(WAY TOO EXOTIC for me), but one of the coolest cars they had was a Bugatti that was found in a lake, where it had been submerged for many years. The car had kinda grown famous because of the story on how it was "Stored" in the lake until after the war.
The car was on display "as found" and it was TOO COOL!!!!
So, with that in mind, if that VIN # 12 is SO ROUGH, it COULD be neater and more interesting (IMO) to display it as found. It would take, (based on your description), either a re-body or so much money to restore it, that financially it might NOT make sense to restore it. Talk to any of the high-end car owners who have a true#1 condition car, and ask how much money they spent. Let's say if Level One, or Thornton, or one of the TOP restoration shops, not just a good shop, but one that consistently turns out winners, did that car, your probably looking at $100k plus.
I don't see too many '69 H/O changing hands for well over $100,000.00
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:27 PM

Dave,
Thanks, I'm sure it is one of the first if not the very first one produced, but don't know how it could be proven.
It is a very rough car. The guy that has it now does his own body & paint work, but even so, he will still have a bunch of money in it to do it right. It will need a frame & probably a rebody to do it right, or at least quarters, complete rear window frame, floors, trunk pans, doors & a frame, so essentially a rebody either way you look at it I guess??
Mark,
I have seen a stray pace car or two over the years, but have never met the guy you're talking about. I hope to though!!
Scott
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:38 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Dave,
Thanks, I'm sure it is one of the first if not the very first one produced, but don't know how it could be proven.
It is a very rough car. The guy that has it now does his own body & paint work, but even so, he will still have a bunch of money in it to do it right. It will need a frame & probably a rebody to do it right, or at least quarters, complete rear window frame, floors, trunk pans, doors & a frame, so essentially a rebody either way you look at it I guess??
Mark,
I have seen a stray pace car or two over the years, but have never met the guy you're talking about. I hope to though!!
Scott
That would be nice to know where the first or second is and has survived....but did you se the cowl tag and or vin or is that what he is saying
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:41 PM
morgan

The only one i ever trusted was my granny...and that was many moons ago
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:27 PM

He told me the last 6 of the vin are 000012. The car is on a lift & surrounded by other parts/junk & I did not actually see the vin myself, but the guy seemed legit on the other dealing I had with him. I really should have looked myself, but we were both in a hurry to move on with our other deal. If only....
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:56 PM

Sounds like an interesting find.

The one thing I have a question about though is the vin ending in 000012. The 69 Hurst registry has the prototype as listed as vin 250994, built 2nd week of January 69. There is a second car from that week with the "regular" cars (1st one going through Demmer) starting with 330745 the 3rd week in March. George Hurst's car was #4. A car with a vin# of 12 would be much earlier than the dates of the H/O program.

I'm presuming he just has the vin wrong...
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 69ho aurora
Sounds like an interesting find.

The one thing I have a question about though is the vin ending in 000012. The 69 Hurst registry has the prototype as listed as vin 250994, built 2nd week of January 69. There is a second car from that week with the "regular" cars (1st one going through Demmer) starting with 330745 the 3rd week in March. George Hurst's car was #4. A car with a vin# of 12 would be much earlier than the dates of the H/O program.

I'm presuming he just has the vin wrong...
X2 You beat me to it. Can't type fast enough.
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:30 AM

He wasn't real clear about which number he was talking about, but maybe he meant the serial number from Hurst?? I wish I'd have looked at the vin &/or cowl tag now...
If I get out his way again, I'll do my best to make that happen. He said his wife still has all her original paperwork & the dash plaque with her name on it. I guess the original owners name was on that plaque next to the H/O emblem?? Maybe he was talking about some number on that paperwork?
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:22 AM

That is kinda why I was wondering the body number. It may have been the 12th Demmer conversion, but unlikely the 12th car built. I would have to pull out some H/O paperwork to see when they were announced, and when production started. Generally, the beginning of a model run (VIN # 12 would most likely have been a generic type car to fulfill dealer's inventories. Maybe, n early VIN could have been a Factory Order, of lets say, someone wanted a certain type of '68 and missed the deadline, so a '69 would have been ordered to "SAVE" a sale.
Do any of you H/O guys have an announcement date handy? That would give a little insight as to time build.
I would STILL like to see it in it's current state. "ROUGH" cars interest me too----not that I would want one, they are just sometimes interesting to see.
Being in the auto business, I see a WHOLE LOT of cars, and it is amazing how some cars look new with 200k miles on them, and then some I won't even get in to move on he lot and they may have 20 or 30k miles on them.
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:56 AM

The 'Press Release" was April 7, 1969, that coincided with the 'Tavern on the Green' pictures you may have seen. Jan 30, 1969 Oldsmobile put out a release to all Zone managers explaining the 1969 Hurst/Olds program with any car orders to be back to Lansing by Feb 19, 1969. I have a late Jan 1969 hand written memo discussing the car and still hashing out items from the presentation car such as elimination of the rear window stripe. Also discusses that 4 press cars were to be ready by Feb 25.