General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Classic olds get together

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:48 PM

Talking Classic olds get together

I hope this doesn't get moved. Okay guy's and gal's,for the last few days, I had a post on (site related) talking about a classic olds convention.I've been kicking the can around for the last few day's and thinking lot's about this. If some where on a weekend once a year we could have a gathering of all of us. Have a social gathering, Old's classic cruise, maybe where their is a race track, who ever want's to race can, would have to be HP classed. We could shirts, hats posters, car decals made for a fund raiser for our once a year gathering. Every year pick a different place to hold the convention. Personally I would love it, get to meet alot of you, not just behind the computer and see alot of classic olds. Feed back please
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Kyle's 77 Cutlass
I hope this doesn't get moved. Okay guy's and gal's,for the last few days, I had a post on (site related) talking about a classic olds convention.I've been kicking the can around for the last few day's and thinking lot's about this. If some where on a weekend once a year we could have a gathering of all of us. Have a social gathering, Old's classic cruise, maybe where their is a race track, who ever want's to race can, would have to be HP classed. We could shirts, hats posters, car decals made for a fund raiser for our once a year gathering. Every year pick a different place to hold the convention. Personally I would love it, get to meet alot of you, not just behind the computer and see alot of classic olds. Feed back please
Sounds like a great idea. Kind of a long slog for me though from Edmonton. I think this idea was also brought up by several others on numerous occasions, but it didn't really pan out. I can only guess that your intention is for mostly local owners? That would certainly make it more likely to coordinate.

I'm not saying anything neg about this idea. Personally I love it. Don't give up on it.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:36 PM

What about the Northern lights round up, thats every year?
Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:26 AM

What about the Northern lights round up, thats every year?
Yep, and this year it's on July 16 in the Town of Olds. You're welcome to join us as all on here are. Go to our website and register.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:04 AM

Yes this is a great idea. I remember tossing around an idea like that a few years ago, kinda like a locals meet. It never really got off the ground though.
When I travel, i try to see who's in that area and pay them a short visit. I will do the same this May when I visit SW Oregon.
The local chapters of the OCA are good meets and some of the members here usually attend. I look forward to the NTOC meet here in Fort worth in October. A car show followed by a parade to the drag strip - lots of fun!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:35 AM

Rob (& All):
Hold October 7-9 open for the North Texas Zone Show at the Marriott across from Texas Motor Speedway on Hay 114 & IH35W. Hotel contract not signed, but approved (I think), so should be official shortly. Yes, there will be Saturday night racing with a short drive up IH35W to Denton. All details being worked out, just save the date!!!
Aron
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
Yep, and this year it's on July 16 in the Town of Olds. You're welcome to join us as all on here are. Go to our website and register.
Oh yes, I am going to join. No worries about that, just need my olds fixed up first. This may be a silly question, how many guy's drive them to Olds for this or they haul them on a trailer, I would haul her.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Yes this is a great idea. I remember tossing around an idea like that a few years ago, kinda like a locals meet. It never really got off the ground though.
When I travel, i try to see who's in that area and pay them a short visit. I will do the same this May when I visit SW Oregon.
The local chapters of the OCA are good meets and some of the members here usually attend. I look forward to the NTOC meet here in Fort worth in October. A car show followed by a parade to the drag strip - lots of fun!

Who know's keep kicking the can around and we might be able to hold a Classic Olds show
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

If it were not to far of a drive I would be interested in attending a CO get together.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Rob (& All):
Hold October 7-9 open for the North Texas Zone Show at the Marriott across from Texas Motor Speedway on Hay 114 & IH35W. Hotel contract not signed, but approved (I think), so should be official shortly. Yes, there will be Saturday night racing with a short drive up IH35W to Denton. All details being worked out, just save the date!!!
Aron
I will be planning on attending this! Glad to have a date early so i can plan my fall vacation for after the show.
Hope the storms and tornados stay away this year!!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:20 AM

Some where in the middle US would work I think, Nebraska, Colorado or Kansas. Would be some what even travel for us far people. Not know what is in those states, but I think some people here have a clue. Well mind you Rocky Mountain's would be cool to see. Seen them once in Jasper, all I have to say
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM

Oh yes, I am going to join. No worries about that, just need my olds fixed up first. This may be a silly question, how many guy's drive them to Olds for this or they haul them on a trailer, I would haul her.
BTW, I went to the Northern lights site yesterday, nice youtube video
Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:09 AM

Rt. 66 Raceway in Joilet, Il. seems to be a favorite with the "on the road' pro racers, as it's easily accessable, [I-80, I-57 + I-55] from just about anywhere, lots of Hotels, two gambling 'boats', and Chicago is but an hour away!
Don't know about open dates, but they used to have two NHRA national events a year there, and now down to one!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Kyle,
Even though I'm relatively new to the NLCO and have only been to 2 shows, I notice that the vast majority of guys drive their cars to the event. Last year, I only saw one trailer queen; passed it on the highway going home . Lots of us take pride in owning and driving our cars. We also understand that there's going to be some cars that the owners simply want preserved with absolutely no mileage going onto the car. (I think you see this more often in car shows where there are more vintage restorations in that category). We are NOT judgemental of how you want to get your car to a show, and we are NOT judgemental of the condition - unless it's really unsafe to drive . We do understand the intrinsic value of ownership and the often limited $ available that competes with restoring or even owning a classic. I can honestly say that the only reason for not driving my car to MB for the show would be the distance for a 6-7 hour show. That being said I know there are folks who drive to the NLCO Rocket Roundup from BC, SK and northern AB and we love 'em for that! FYI, my wife goes with me to all the shows, but I don't think I can convince her to take that long a road trip
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Of course, there are the OCA nationals at Reno this year and the Homecoming in Lansing.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:46 AM

For us to go NLCO, we are 12 hours away. I would and will go. I am always up for a road trip, I have relatives up in St Paul so can get in a extra visit. The one reason I would haul her in, if I bring the family, the wife, 4 kids and a dog would be hard to fit all the luggage in the trunk. I know they are big but for this load not big enough. When she is all done up, I will drive her, I not going to spend 20,000+ and not enjoy and thanks for not been judgmental of her. All she needs is a little bit of lovin and she will forgive me.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM

there could be a date set with several meeting spots around the country. maybe one place for every 3 or 4 states. then you could go to the closest one. we could all post pictures from all the meeting spots. not really a show, just a gathering at a restaurant and a cruse around that town. i hope it works out this summer for me and some of you in the Indianapolis area to meat up. maybe there will be a cruise in somewhere we could crash with a flood of Oldsmobile's.

Last edited by jensenracing77; April 3rd, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM

That could work as well, some of us don't want to drive half across North America or can't afford, this would be a great way of us to meet. We will have to wait and see how many are interested
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:42 PM

In 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 (as far as I could tell) all entries were driven. Only four times in 17 years did we have trailered cars. A 69 Hurst that was sold to a fellow who joined our club and now drives it to the show, a 1905 Curved Dash in 2005, a car that wasn't finished yet (and stayed on the trailer and a racing car that would have been impractible to drive, even at a 1/4 mile at a time. BTW, we have parking space for trailers and room to off-load.

We have members that don't even own Oldsmobiles but go through our classifieds in the newsletter (26 pg) and look for cars and parts. Ever wonder why we drive on the right side of the road, or what a GTO guys' take was on a race with a '66 442? It's in the next issue.

Last edited by 442much; April 3rd, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:41 PM

Being in Minnesotta I could handle a drive 400 mile in any direction. I am trying to get the old 64 88 able to handle a long drive. The car sat for three years before I purchased it. All the little things you need to do to get it reliable are almost complete. I am organizing a car show this May to bennefit local Vets (lots of work) but I would truly enjoy getting together with some of you. I was thinking of a good ole fashion car rally!
We pick a destination site, and as we all head to it we meet at differant locations along the way...before you know it we have an oldsmobile convoy.
Just a thought......Don't stop kicking the can, I'm in
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:57 PM

oldsmobile convoy, god I love that idea. Could you imagine 200 to 300 oldsmobile's driving down the interstate. That would be awesome,might cause the biggest car pile up in the history of the US,some heads are going to rollI think we may be on to something Any more ideas guys?