General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Classic and Musclecar insurance

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Classic and Musclecar insurance

I currently and for several years have had J. C. Taylor for my classic car insurance. I have no issues with them. But, you only know how good a policy is when you need to use it. The rates have gone up every year about $8-10 so this year as it is coming time to renew, I am shopping some to see what the competition is offering.

Grundy is much cheaper, Hagerty is a little cheaper not by much. Not sure who else is offering coverage.

What company do you guys use and what has been your positive and negative experiences?

Thanks
Larry
Old January 19th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Mine is insured with Safeco and is competitively priced with the others. I have had both homeowner and regular auto claims with this company and was extremely satisfied with their prompt customer service and claim results. I had the Plymouth insured with JC Taylor, it was insured for a higher price and the premium was still reasonable. No claims with them though. Make sure your doing an apples to apples bid as premiums can vary dramatically based on different things.
Old January 19th, 2015, 03:33 PM

I have J.C. Taylor too. the other insurance company's have mileage limits or you can only drive to shows or club functions. That maybe why there cheaper. I have had no claims yet ( knock on wood).
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:09 PM

Hagarty used to be good but after 7 years they hit me with a 33% increase for no reason last year. Went to Grundy for even less than hagglety used to cost....
Old January 19th, 2015, 06:12 PM

Have several cars insured with Haggerty, price is very fair, no claims for 12 years.
Old January 19th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Justin

I insure my house and 5 cars thru State Farm, no complaints.

on the 65, I took the insurance down to parking insurance during the construction and my wheels were stolen, took them less then 24 hrs to come look at the car to cut me a check luckily I got to cancel as my wheels were returned.
Fair price set price at 10k I can drive 7500 miles a year no restrictions other than mileage and as long as I agree it's not a DD
Old January 19th, 2015, 06:24 PM

I got Haggerty at about 400 year. State farm quoted me at about half that when I switched home and daily driver to them a few months ago. I still have Haggerty because I'm not sure I want to leave them yet. My cars been towed twice under Haggerty and the service was great. May switch when policy ends but staying for now.
Old January 19th, 2015, 07:25 PM

I have Grundy no millage restrictions and I have had a claim and they helped me work through it with out any problems( the claim was against another insurance company)Their prices are very competitive and I would use them again if I need classic car insurance....Tedd
Old January 19th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Still on the planet...

3 classics with Hagerty.... just received my renewal of $480, 0 deductible, full coverage, towing, and spare parts coverage on all 3. No claims but excellent service so far.
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:28 AM

I have JC Taylor and have been very happy. When I had my Chevelle I had a small interior fire. They paid to replace the entire interior from headliner to carpet including dash and more than enough for install. Within 48 hours they came out inspected and cut me a check.
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:28 AM

If you are former military, call USAA. They do not cover classic cars, but they will transfer you to a subsidiary (sp?) company of theirs. They are called "American Collectors Insurance". The rates are great. However, I have not had cause (knock on wood) to use them yet.
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:39 PM

Debating whether to stay with Hagerty as i just received my policy renewal, and it's up 30%. Now I don't pay a lot, and it is easily affordable, but a 30% hike for no reason?
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:30 AM

As indicated earlier, the acid test for any insurance company policy is when it comes time for a claim and how it is handled. I had damage from a deer accident and had Hagerty Insurance. I have nothing but praise for how the claim was handled. The repairs were done where I wanted them done and to the quality I wanted it done, which even included having the front bumper rechromed because of a scuff from the deer's hoof that wouldn't polish out. The rechrome was not cheap. The claim went over a two year period because of logistics of getting it repaired and putting the car in storage for winter. The one body shop estimate actually increased by the time I got it in the shop and Hagerty did not question the increase. It is also the only insurance company which actually sent me a get well card for my car after the accident. How can you top that!
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:09 AM
the hot box

Any insurance company that raises your rates for no reason is time to hit the door.

I'd also like to comment that State Farm has terrible customer service and if your agent is off on a certain day they will refuse to help you.
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by dredluxx
Any insurance company that raises your rates for no reason is time to hit the door.

I'd also like to comment that State Farm has terrible customer service and if your agent is off on a certain day they will refuse to help you.
They suck period. Raised my rates double of what i pay thru safeco. I had four cars and my house at state farm and told them to shove it after thirty years of being with state farm for over charging me.
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:49 AM

I have a friend that had state farm for his pole barn, they came out after it was built ,looked it over and wrote up a policy . 10 years later we had a heavy snow fall , and part of is barn fell in, the same person came out and told him, they will not cover it because his policy says it's a garage not a pole barn! he took them to court , but lost. I will never have state farm.
Old February 11th, 2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rustbucket2
I have J.C. Taylor too. the other insurance company's have mileage limits or you can only drive to shows or club functions. That maybe why there cheaper. I have had no claims yet ( knock on wood).

Hagerty has changed this. Many option available now.
Old February 11th, 2015, 06:11 AM

Might try American Collectors Insurance Company. I've had mine with them for nine years on agreed value.They increase the value of yor car each year slightly,but that's the only increase I've had . They have been in Classic Car insurance for 46 Years and are much cheaper than most. Have not had a claim,but they get good reviews. They do have a mileage limit per year and it can't be a daily driver. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; February 11th, 2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Add
Old February 11th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Scharpp

I go thru Farmers they use American modern, amig.com , I have a 68 Elcamino 21k and 55 Olds 10k and its only like $275 a year and is billed every quarter not all at once like hagerty
Old February 11th, 2015, 08:15 AM
the hot box

Originally Posted by wr1970
They suck period. Raised my rates double of what i pay thru safeco. I had four cars and my house at state farm and told them to shove it after thirty years of being with state farm for over charging me.
Yeah, i had them for the last 9 years and i told them to stick it up their *** when they told me my agent wasn't in today and they weren't participating in the good neighbor program when i was stranded forever away from home. Switched both my cars over the same day.

Originally Posted by Rustbucket2
I have a friend that had state farm for his pole barn, they came out after it was built ,looked it over and wrote up a policy . 10 years later we had a heavy snow fall , and part of is barn fell in, the same person came out and told him, they will not cover it because his policy says it's a garage not a pole barn! he took them to court , but lost. I will never have state farm.
State Farm: The neighbor you love to hate.

Does anyone want to share how many miles are allotted per year under their classic car insurance ?
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:06 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Hands Down JC Taylor. I have been insured with them since 1990.
Car buddy broke his 55 Chevy out of winter storage last spring. On his way home from storage he was stopped behind a big yellow school bus with big red flashing lights on it when some dumb azz rear-ended him hard (kid was texting!) Nearly pushed him into on coming traffic which would have damaged the other end. He not only had a very damaged car but suffered neck injury.
He has JC Taylor. In fact hes the one who turned me on to them some 25 years ago. They told him to take the 5 to who ever HE wanted to do the repairs. If the custom paint job could not be matched they would pay to have the whole car reshot. Repair took 10 months at over $20K. I can not see any evidence of the damage.
Bottom line...JC stood behind him 110% Dumb *** kid got his azz sued off too for the injuries for which hes still suffering from but the carz all better.

No mileage restriction. They do state that its a limited use vehicle. ig: not your daily driver but rather a weekend cruzer.

Last edited by droldsmorland; February 11th, 2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by dredluxx

Does anyone want to share how many miles are allotted per year under their classic car insurance ?

I have no milage restrictions Hagerty. Agreed upon value $12k $180 a year I think. When I reasid the value 2k it went up $13 I think it was $168 berfore that
Old February 11th, 2015, 01:25 PM

I've repaired many cars insured with Haggerty and JC taylor and never had any problems. All the collector car insurance companies that I've had bussiness with have been very good at settling claims no matter what it takes. When I had classic cars of my own I liked Haggerty the best. ~BOB
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Debating whether to stay with Hagerty as i just received my policy renewal, and it's up 30%. Now I don't pay a lot, and it is easily affordable, but a 30% hike for no reason?
Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Hagarty used to be good but after 7 years they hit me with a 33% increase for no reason last year. Went to Grundy for even less than hagglety used to cost....
Time to switch then. I do not let companies take advantage of me like that.
A 3% I can deal with. 30? Forget it.
Try grundy. So far so good with me.
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:47 PM

Well, I just did the Grundy online quote, and it's 50 bucks higher than Hagerty.
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:06 PM
L69

hagerty 10 years
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, I just did the Grundy online quote, and it's 50 bucks higher than Hagerty.
I switched from Hagerty to Grundy two years ago. No issues with Hagerty, but they would not insure my Alero! I have both cars with Grundy $145 for the Cutlass and $295 for the Alero both have the same full coverage and zero deductible.

FYI, Grundy was about $20 cheaper for the Cutlass.

Pat
Old February 13th, 2015, 05:03 PM

I've been with Hagarty for 5 years and they have been great $750 a year for a $50000 policy.
A bit pricey but if something happens I'll be able to get another car.
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:37 PM

I have has Hagerty since 2002 my rates have gone up every year, and this yr was the highest, they say it has to do with the catastrorphic claims that only Michigan has. I have my Cutlass Supreme and my 1965 F-250 thru them, they started at $120yr, my last renewal was $400. And I had one claim for a windshied on my truck.
Old February 14th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Getting insurance quotes from other companies does not cost you a penny, just time. It's a good exercise every few years just to keep everyone honest.
Old February 14th, 2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Hands Down JC Taylor. I have been insured with them since 1990.
Car buddy broke his 55 Chevy out of winter storage last spring. On his way home from storage he was stopped behind a big yellow school bus with big red flashing lights on it when some dumb azz rear-ended him hard (kid was texting!) Nearly pushed him into on coming traffic which would have damaged the other end. He not only had a very damaged car but suffered neck injury.
He has JC Taylor. In fact hes the one who turned me on to them some 25 years ago. They told him to take the 5 to who ever HE wanted to do the repairs. If the custom paint job could not be matched they would pay to have the whole car reshot. Repair took 10 months at over $20K. I can not see any evidence of the damage.
Bottom line...JC stood behind him 110% Dumb *** kid got his azz sued off too for the injuries for which hes still suffering from but the carz all better.

No mileage restriction. They do state that its a limited use vehicle. ig: not your daily driver but rather a weekend cruzer.
X2, 25 years with JC Taylor and counting.