General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cigarette lighter in dash

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Cigarette lighter in dash

Ok so car is almost back from the body shop. Getting ready to put it back together. Only thing I would like to switch out is the cigarette lighter. Unless I twist and turn and find the exact spot then don't breathe does a phone charger work in it. How hard is it to change and so they sell this. Googling has turned up only the elements that heat up.
Thanks!!
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:53 AM

yes they make them. but you can find them in the salvage yard. if you dont smoke or dont care if its factory,the newer vehicles have outlets all over in them. most are just for phone chargers and the like.if you want one of those pm me you addresss ill send you one.
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Let me know if I can kelp ..I have extra Elements and Holders ..Ron.All I need is a picture ..All have been stripped Cleaned and polished..
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks guys. As long as it fits in the spot in the dash i don't care if it is "factory correct". The lighter element that is in there now must not be original only because I have heard that the 68's looked like the headlight and washer fluid ****. No biggie but when I decide to take the car to work and out for the day I need to be able to charge my phone. Getting the car back from the body shop next week. I will take a pic of it and look under the dash for connections. I do not smoke and will never need to actually heat that piece up. Just need the power outlet to work.
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM

My original factory cigarette lighter works fine with my cell phone charger and my GPS. You can definitely find an original one that will work fine.
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
My original factory cigarette lighter works fine with my cell phone charger and my GPS. You can definitely find an original one that will work fine.
Oh I'm sure I can. Mine must just be worn out or something. Once you find just the right spot where it lights up you basically can't breath or it wont hold a connection. So obviously it doesn't work once you start driving. Cant wait to get it back from the body shop to share with everyone.
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 68oldscutlass
Oh I'm sure I can. Mine must just be worn out or something. Once you find just the right spot where it lights up you basically can't breath or it wont hold a connection. So obviously it doesn't work once you start driving. Cant wait to get it back from the body shop to share with everyone.
I bet a little steel wool around the inside will clean it up. Make sure the battery is disconnected first.
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:00 AM

The stud and wire connector on the backside of the socket is burned & corroded on my car. I just pulled the wire for now but check that connection first. Someday I may get around to fixing it - reminds me of the Blues Brothers:
Elwood: It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say? Is it the new Bluesmobile or what? Jake: Fix the cigarette lighter.
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks guys. I will check it all out when I get the car back in a few days hopefully. Thanks for all the input as always!
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:52 AM

Why not just leave it alone, and add a second aux one under the the dash from Radio Shack. Did this on my last car facing down, and was out of the way. While was at it, also mounted a 350w power inverter under there, so could plug in all sorts of things.