General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Check Your Parts When they Arrive

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2019, 11:25 AM

Check Your Parts When They Arrive

In December of 2017 I finally found and purchased the coveted vacuum lock cylinder swivel for a 68 442 for $165 plus $3.80 shipping from Oldsobsolete.com. This weekend I pulled it out of the box it came in to examine it to get it ready to install. I've taken it out of the box before, but never out of the NOS plastic. When I removed it this time I noticed that the plastic had a hole in it. I figured that it wasn't a big deal because I'm sure it had been removed in the past to photo or show someone. When I removed the part I immediately noticed the kink in it and wasn't happy. I was even less happy when I found that the piece with the rivet has broken off and the piece and the rivet were missing. Clearly this didn't happen recently as the metal where the break is isn't shiny at all and the broken piece was completely missing. I sent the following email to Oldsobsolete.com but, quite frankly, I don't expect a reply

Shame on me for not opening this until now and really inspecting it closely when I purchased it. When I examined today the plastic package was already opened and someone obviously returned it broken because the rivet and the broken piece are not even inside the plastic. I think it’s very poor business practice to sell parts like this. I’m fairly sure the piece that enters the lock mechanism is supposed to be straight also too. It would explain why the ear and rivet were broken off one side of the part. I’m just sick that I paid $165 for this. The bottom picture is what one is supposed to look like. You can clearly see both rivets in place.

Last edited by allyolds68; March 19th, 2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old March 19th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately your not the first to discover a broken or even wrong part some time later after it was received and stored to install at a later date. I'd be curious on what they say.
Old March 19th, 2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Unfortunately your not the first to discover a broken or even wrong part some time later after it was received and stored to install at a later date. I'd be curious on what they say.
I sent them the email Saturday and haven't gotten a response yet
Old March 19th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I hope they reimburse you, but they might also say that the bottom picture is what they sent you. This isn't a good place to be in.
Old March 19th, 2019, 02:51 PM

Mike, if I follow you your thinking the piece from the lock to the swivel should be straight. Here's some pictures of the one I have and there's a bend in it, attached are a couple photos. If your able to fix the rivet try installing it without straightening the arm. John

Old March 19th, 2019, 07:23 PM
72 Olds CS

my nephew just opened some bike parts he bought 6 mos ago. he discovered they sold him the wrong side left instead of right, he tried to return them for the correct side, they said sorry its been to long $600 of parts he doesnt need !!!
Old March 20th, 2019, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Mike, if I follow you your thinking the piece from the lock to the swivel should be straight. Here's some pictures of the one I have and there's a bend in it, attached are a couple photos. If your able to fix the rivet try installing it without straightening the arm. John
John,

Thanks....I just saw that on Nick's for sale thread as well. I have no idea how that rivet could have broken like that but I know I didn't do it...... Still no reply from oldsobsolete.com either

Old March 20th, 2019, 11:14 PM
Phantom Phixer

Having worked at a GM dealership many years ago , I can tell you what may have happened .
Many parts replaced under warranty had to be retained and sometimes returned to the manufactuer .
Guess where these parts went for safekeeping ? In the original parts box that the new item came in . Made it easy to keep track of them .
Many years later a closed dealership is "cleaned out" by an NOS parts vendor .
Some of this stuff is still hanging around the place and the vendor assumes that they are NOS parts , because they are in GM boxes .
Old March 22nd, 2019, 12:23 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Having worked at a GM dealership many years ago , I can tell you what may have happened .
Many parts replaced under warranty had to be retained and sometimes returned to the manufactuer .
Guess where these parts went for safekeeping ? In the original parts box that the new item came in . Made it easy to keep track of them .
Many years later a closed dealership is "cleaned out" by an NOS parts vendor .
Some of this stuff is still hanging around the place and the vendor assumes that they are NOS parts , because they are in GM boxes .
I just did this two weekends ago when I replaced the throttle body on the Enclave (damn drive-by-wire throttle position sensor and actuator!). Rock Auto did not include a core charge, so I tossed the old one in the box that the new one came in, and will check at the local Advance Auto to see if they can get any credit by sending the core back to ACDelco. Seems a shame to toss it out, because there is at least one company out there offering reman's.