General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

charcoal canister setup

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2016, 09:33 AM

charcoal canister setup

I was told to remove my charcoal canister because its not needed so I did at the beginning of my rebuild, but I have decided to put it back on. BUT I don't know which hoses goes where. I know one hose comes in from the vent behind the rear seat and one goes to the carb. Does it matter which hose goes where on the canister? If it does describe it to me as if the canister is facing me/you...so left hose connector goes... and right etc.

thanks
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:39 AM

I removed it but as far as I remember the centered tube comes from the standpipe and the outer one goes to the carb.

Edit: yep...see attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cannister.jpg (221.4 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Levellord; May 12th, 2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old May 12th, 2016, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Levellord
I removed it but as far as I remember the centered tube comes from the standpipe and the outer one goes to the carb.

Edit: yep...see attached
Thanks so much!! I took it off so long ago and just found out that the line coming from the rear is just open under the hood so i figured I'd connect the canister if i can find a way to repair it.
Do you/anyone know how exactly this whole vent system works? I've been reading about it but I keep getting different information. For example is there ever liquid gas in the vent system from the separator behind the back seat and from the gas tank to the charcoal canister? Does any vent tube that comes off the gas tank actually carry liquid fuel, does that system somehow carry gas fumes then condense it to liquid fuel and then it returns to the tank or is there only gas vapor 100%of the time in this system. Hopefully this sense. Thanks, I'll take my answer of the air, lol (radio talk)
Old May 12th, 2016, 04:16 AM

As I dont have this in use I may be not the right person to answer this but from what I understood you have (depending on your model year) ventlines from your gas tank to the standpipe. In my case (72) it have been two, one left and one right. From there they are connected to the standpipe. It may be liquid or it maybe fumed. The standpipe sorts the liquid and sends it back to the middle vent from the tank. The left vent from the standpipe sends the fumed gas to the cannister in the motor dept. where its filtered with coal/carbon; from there it goes to the carb. Your carb must have a connection for this. So, in my point of view you can have in the outer tank lines to standpipe liquid and fume, in the inner tank line to standpipe more liquids and from the left standpipe to cannister just fume. If not, I apologize, someone correct me.
Old May 12th, 2016, 05:13 AM
72Cutlass S

It should never have liquid fuel in it. Before evap. Canisters the fuel vapors from the fuel tank would just vent to atmosphere. Now they are stored in the evap canister and then drawn into the while cruising. If the canister gets filled up with liquid fuel it is usually ruined. Or at least not as effective once it dries out.
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

All of the function and connections of the evaporative emission control system are clearly described in section 8 of your Chassis Service Manual.

- Eric
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
All of the function and connections of the evaporative emission control system are clearly described in section 8 of your Chassis Service Manual.

- Eric
I wish I had a manual.
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

There's this thing called "eBay"...

Also, you could join the Automotive History Preservation Society for $25 and download as many manuals as you want.

- Eric
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:01 AM

BTW, I have a 71 cutlass. it has 3 vent lines coming from the tank.
So the charcoal canister should never have any gas liquid in it, but the tubes coming from the gas tank may have fuel? Do I have that right?
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:03 AM

Pretty easy to find on Ebay and a great reference if you do any of your own work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-OLDSMOB...tXH6pK&vxp=mtr
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:28 AM

thanks, I'll look into getting one.
I really appreciate the information. I read a lot of post on here, and I try to find the answers before I make a post. But its hard, because there is so much information, its easier to ask at times. But, thanks again.