General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car shipping question

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Car shipping question

Hello--

Anyone know of a trustworthy, reasonable auto shipper? I've got a 57 Olds coming from Colorado Springs to the Hudson Valley in NY State.

Obviously lots of scammers out there--I am working with a transport broker who at least has not taken a deposit from me, but I really have to wonder whether they will ever move the car.

I could go get it myself--would rather avoid that.

Thanks much,

Andrew
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM

There have been several discussion on this subject. Use the search function for research. Hopefully someone Colorado can recommend someone they have used.

I flew from Seattle to Oklahoma to pick up my 48 Olds because I could not find someone I could trust. Made a mini-vacation of the trip, rented a u-haul truck and trailer and stopped at several wrecking yards and at a CO members house to pick up parts and a engine. Did not cost any more then having it shipped. Took my wife along for company had a great time.
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

My trials and tribulations while getting my 62 shipped earlier this year are documented in another thread. You're absolutely right on the shipping brokers - what a bunch of scammers. I finally had success with www.uship.com, which is a sort of reverse auction. You post your requirements and shippers send you bids. The one piece of advice is, when all is said and done expect it to cost more than the original bids!
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:47 AM

I use a company direct, have moved 4 or 5 cars for me and my boss etc they seem very reasonable and on time http://hillbillyautotransport.com/ I was pleased, and have sent them business that seemed pleased as well
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
I use a company direct, have moved 4 or 5 cars for me and my boss etc they seem very reasonable and on time http://hillbillyautotransport.com/ I was pleased, and have sent them business that seemed pleased as well
Glad that worked out for you. Virtually all of these companies are fine if you are shipping a running, late model car with stock ride height and stock wheels and tires. ANYTHING out of the ordinary ("Oh, it's bigger than a Civic, well there's an oversize charge.") causes problems. If the car is inoperable, well, good luck with that. If the car is, oh, in the Middle-Of-Nowhere, NV, good luck with that, too.
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:00 PM

everything with my Oldsmobiles has worked out for me - I bought 3 cars online sight unseen, shipped, etc. I have been very lucky.
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM

i shipped my 69 chevelle from CA 2 colorado for 525 and i shipped a 72 cutlass from CA 2 arizona for $350, i called around each time untill i found a shipper who was droping a trailer/car off in CA and wanted 2 make some extra money on his way home they said it pays 4 there gas if they can find another car 2 tow on there way home!! it costs alot more if your the main car there towing but if there picking up your car on the way home and making extra money theyll do it for cheaper!! you might have 2 wait a few days but its worth the wait!! you save alot and the shipper makes back all the gas he spent on his first tow, its a win win deal!!
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
My 73HO

I used National instead of DAS. I was very pleased with them door to door! Yes they are what you would call a "broker". They set it all up and they got half up front and the deliverer recieved the balance. Very good experience from Colorado to NJ....
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:42 PM

Sounds like fun! I may end up doing that.

Thanks for the search suggestion.