General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car Museum...

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM

Pretty amazing collection. Love the first pic of the 59 Old's wagon, not a car you see very often.
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
is Fast Enough ...

carmuseum125.jpg
carmuseum124.jpg
carmuseum123.jpg
carmuseum121.jpg
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by 55olds98holiday
Pretty amazing collection. Love the first pic of the 59 Old's wagon, not a car you see very often.
With the roof rack to the front of the car ...

There are some very unique rides. I noticed that even the banged up cars have nice grills ...

carmuseum130.jpg
carmuseum129.jpg
carmuseum128.jpg
carmuseum127.jpg
carmuseum126.jpg

Last edited by mugzilla; October 1st, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
is Fast Enough ...

As I approached these cars I thought I was hearing some very loud *** crickets, but then I realized it was a rattle snake giving an impressive warning ...

Old October 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM

wow, I get first dibs on the jag, the buss and the rattlesnake - very cool and yes what the heck, hopefully some of these could be saved - I think it hurts more to us in the rust belt.
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Yep, I used to have one. Like most Jags every morning you've got about a 50/50 shot the POS will start.

I am still amazed how the British won the Battle of Britian flying Spitfires with Lucas electric systems.
For a car that barely starts those convertible 66s 67s are going for around 100k now - they sure are beautiful but I'll stick with my olds unless I can get this one for 500 bucks
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
is Fast Enough ...

carmuseum151.jpg
carmuseum144.jpg
carmuseum143.jpg
carmuseum142.jpg
carmuseum141.jpg
carmuseum140.jpg
carmuseum139.jpg
carmuseum136.jpg
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
is Fast Enough ...

This '56 2 door Wagon is one car I would like to restore compleat with siren ...

carmuseum147.jpg
carmuseum146.jpg
carmuseum145.jpg
carmuseum148.jpg
carmuseum149.jpg

I like how the rear window looks like an Olds ...

carmuseum150.jpg
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:58 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Oh yeh ...

This is a view of leaving base camp ...

These pics I took because I could , my digital cam takes hundreds of pics...

carmuseum011.jpg
carmuseum012.jpg
carmuseum013.jpg
carmuseum014.jpg
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:06 PM

If the EPA don't wind up with this long standing collection no one else will as long as he is still around. Theres a guy here in Sebring that has 5 or six collectable cars for someone to fix up and enjoy but he sits around sippin Velvet all day watching them rot....And said they will never leave the property while he's alive. What a shame
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:07 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Thank god these aren't metal cubes, and shredded glass by now.

This is art in one of it's greatest forms.
The only thing better is the step by step restoration/build pictures, when someone has the heart and time to revive this junk.

It's just a shame that there aren't enough people out there willing to do the work.

I'll sponsor the Buick.
My dad has been bugging me to find a nice 58 roadmaster or 59 electra to fix up for him before he
croaks, but I can never find one that isn't folded in half like a rusty banana. I don't have any money, so I can't buy him a nice one.
I have to find one like this and fix it up an hour and a dollar at a time.
Great pic! I'll send it to my old man and he'll crack smile tomorrow morning I'm sure. THANKS!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
carmuseum028.jpg (85.2 KB, 182 views)
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM

Smile

Car and Driver did an article on this collection several years ago. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was well over a thousand vehicles back then. They may have even run a brief follow up after the fire--or I might have read that part elsewhere.

I think they had to drain all the fluids out of them before parking them, so as not to run afoul of the EPA. They are on some huge tract of land. Very cool, especially if most were saved from the crusher, but still a damn shame to let that classic American Iron rot away when there are a lot of guys who would try to save some of it. Just my opinion.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:12 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Cameo White
Car and Driver did an article on this collection several years ago. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was well over a thousand vehicles back then. They may have even run a brief follow up after the fire--or I might have read that part elsewhere.

I think they had to drain all the fluids out of them before parking them, so as not to run afoul of the EPA. They are on some huge tract of land. Very cool, especially if most were saved from the crusher, but still a damn shame to let that classic American Iron rot away when there are a lot of guys who would try to save some of it. Just my opinion.
That's the first time anyone has mentioned seeing this collection I'd like to see that article ...

A bunch of firefighters saw them so it's not totally unknown ...

I'll have to ask the man about that ...

I do know he's tight for cash and might be ready to deal ...

I might try to trade him my '70 442 for say the Fire Wagon, a v12 Lincoln Zephyr, and the only Mercury Sun Valley bubble top I've ever seen ...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1954-m...sun-valley.htm
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:03 AM

Amazing pictures, thanks for sharing. I hope most of them find a good home before they just rot away.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:46 AM

Great pictures, Mug!
It is nice they are still there, but I would rather see them restored at least into operable status. Some look drivable with just a little work - great survivor cars.
Letting them just rot is a sin. However I think the rodents will destroy them faster than the desert weather.

The part I fear, is that if this guy dies for any reason, his next of kin may think it is all junk and have it all scrapped... I have heard of this happening more times than desired.

Just like how BigJerr is publishing a calendar, I think it would be cool if someone did a small book of "junkyard jewels" - just pictures and captions...
There is just something about them - nostalgic, emotional, and lots of mystery...
This guy can make a hardcover coffee table book from his own property AND have them documented for himelf, too! He can then sell the books, make money, sell a lot of complete cars, make more money...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; October 2nd, 2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:42 PM

Smile

If I had to guess, I'd say the C&D article was in the last 3-5 years.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Great pictures, Mug!
It is nice they are still there, but I would rather see them restored at least into operable status. Some look drivable with just a little work - great survivor cars.
Letting them just rot is a sin. However I think the rodents will destroy them faster than the desert weather.

The part I fear, is that if this guy dies for any reason, his next of kin may think it is all junk and have it all scrapped... I have heard of this happening more times than desired.

Just like how BigJerr is publishing a calendar, I think it would be cool if someone did a small book of "junkyard jewels" - just pictures and captions...
There is just something about them - nostalgic, emotional, and lots of mystery...
This guy can make a hardcover coffee table book from his own property AND have them documented for himelf, too! He can then sell the books, make money, sell a lot of complete cars, make more money...
well it's not a book but some may like this I have posted it before it is a nearby junk yard and now that I think of it I need to go there soon for different reasons and parts.But non the less I made this vid (or pic vid)for two reasons one I was trying to save my now project car by seeing if certain parts were interchangable etc with another car and two so I could take picture's and document some cars mainly classic vehicles before they are gone.There are several olsmobiles in the collection however this is only a small part of the junkyard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy-LF...e=channel_page
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:06 PM
is Fast Enough ...

moar ...

010graveyard007.jpg

010graveyard010.jpg

010graveyard012.jpg
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:27 PM
is Fast Enough ...

010graveyard014.jpg
010graveyard015.jpg
010graveyard016.jpg
010graveyard017.jpg
010graveyard018.jpg
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM

What the hell is the turret looking thing on the cop car used for?

I definitely do see this as art, but I don't see these cars ever moving except for when the guy dies and they are sent to the crusher. Even if he was willing to sell a car, he'd probably want outrageous money for it. If I were you, I would try and get on this guys will to take over this collection.
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by dan2286
What the hell is the turret looking thing on the cop car used for?

I definitely do see this as art, but I don't see these cars ever moving except for when the guy dies and they are sent to the crusher. Even if he was willing to sell a car, he'd probably want outrageous money for it. If I were you, I would try and get on this guys will to take over this collection.
I'll just offer to sell the collection for the heirs ...

I'm going to do some work up there and make friends with the owner ...
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Registered Abuser

Holy cow. Truly amazing. Thanks for the pics.
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:38 PM
is Fast Enough ...

010graveyard024.jpg
010graveyard023.jpg
010graveyard022.jpg
010graveyard021.jpg
010graveyard020.jpg
010graveyard019.jpg
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:51 PM
is Fast Enough ...

luva luva wagons ...

010graveyard026.jpg
010graveyard027.jpg
010graveyard028.jpg
010graveyard029.jpg
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:58 PM
is Fast Enough ...

010graveyard030.jpg
010graveyard031.jpg
010graveyard032.jpg
010graveyard033.jpg
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:29 AM

If I could be there !!!
I need only look closely, there are cars that are worth much.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:56 AM
67 heavy metal

I tend to from time to time look at the collection of pictures and have to ask is their any updates additional pictures.Me I could not just leave them sit I would have to tinker with them.I like to see them run drive.The best thing the owner did as save all these but not doing anything with them is a shame.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Always room for one more

Wow I'm glad someone commented on this old thread, I would have never known it was here.

The picture of the propellor with the bite out of it looks like it's from a GMC DUKW. Didn't see the truck in any of the pictures, though.

Mike
Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
NOVICE car nut

hey I got a great idea , I'm gonna buy a bunch of nice cars and let them rot away in my yard . That makes me angry
Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
NOVICE car nut

that's not art , It's a shame !
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:18 PM

I now have tears in my eyes - such a waste - - - - - -
I'd like to have about 20 of what I've seen, and the money to fix 'em!!
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
Always room for one more

I've gleaned an idea

Hm, looking at all these pictures, I think this guy is on to something. My yard looks like a scaled down version of these pictures, maybe I could declare it as a museum as well and that would get my neighbors and the county off my back!

Mike
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:00 PM

That is such a shame. He must have spent a lot of money and a hell of a lot of time, just to watch go to waste.
I'm guessing it is California from the plates i saw. When the guy passes, somebody will come in and crush it all and take the money in scrap steel.
I'm surprise the state has not come down on him.

I really want the '62 F-85 2 dr. I really like those cars.

Has any one heard from "Mugzilla" about this thread??

Gene
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:26 PM

Wow! Lots Of Heavy Metal!

Hey Delmontcruiser: Thanks for bringing back this thread. I've never seen it before.
Mugzilla: Thanks for taking all this pics! What is going on with this yard today?

Last edited by Jaybird; April 3rd, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:49 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Hey Delmontcruiser: Thanks for bringing back this thread. I've never seen it before.
Mugzilla: Thanks for taking all this pics! What is going on with this yard today?
I was happy to post and revive it at the same time.I go through old posts in threads I have posted in from time to time and this one has always been of interest.The odd thing is this thread fizzled out in 2010 so I wonderd what happened and if anything has happened or any updates or new pictures.I would say if one collects cars like this more would be added over time.I could think of so many things to do with the vehicles and none have anything to do with scrap.I can think of things to do with the burnt out ones even.Can you say custom ratrods
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Man that was tough. That was a series 1 E-type Jag in there - the mother of all money pit restorations but can't be beaten for sexy. That 64/65 VC was nice...(heavy sigh)
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by delmontcrusier
I tend to from time to time look at the collection of pictures and have to ask is their any updates additional pictures.Me I could not just leave them sit I would have to tinker with them.I like to see them run drive.The best thing the owner did as save all these but not doing anything with them is a shame.
Agreed. I love looking at the cars and I'm glad they're still around today, but I'm overwhelmed by the sense of loss that cars this old and unique could suffer such neglect. It's like walking into an animal shelter and wanting to walk out with all the dogs - if anything it leaves you feeling a little helpless.

Great pictures though, man.
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:19 PM

i hate people like this with a PASSION!! all those perfectly good parts he could help so many other people out with their projects probably make enough money to even buy a house instead of living in a trailer but no even tho he knows he is never going to do anything with any of these cars he still refuses to help other people complete their projects. i would say i hope he drops dead but then all of these cars would probably be crushed and melted down by whoever inherited them. what a shame!
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:38 AM

All Over the Word are people who think a bit diffrent .
Here in germany is a guy who bought in the year 2000 for his 50 birthday 50 cars from the year 1950 to create a sculpture park an let the cars rott.
Just take a look --
http://www.fotogalerie-thomas.de/tra...turenpark.html

Last edited by Lima-Gaucho; April 12th, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM

and another junkjard from swizerland . The owner would make a open-air-museum from the jard but the laws didnt permitted it . So they have make a few jears ago a no limit auktion on the jard . Here only a link to some Pics from the "Kaufdorf Autofriedhof"

https://www.google.de/search?q=schwe...w=1680&bih=906

and this link to the page from the junkjard

http://www.autofriedhof.ch/

Quick Reply: Car Museum...