General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car fires and what to use

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Is there a battery quick disconnect that can mounted in the floor near the drivers seat. My issue (and I am sure others have) is the W25 hood can be a bear to open - those precious seconds can turn into minutes and the car is burned.
Possibly, or a person could try to fabricate an on/off toggle switch similar to your high beam switch to do the job but the problem is you want the disconnect to be as close as possible to the battery. Both ideas have drawbacks and you can't foresee every possible complication that might crop up. For instance, what if there were a fire on both sides of the firewall or perhaps just smoke in the engine compartment? The moment you pop the hood you are going to be engulfed in smoke and heat. You already mentioned the delay in time with a W25 hood.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Well here is the idea I am going to look at. Bassicly have the kill switch in the engine compartment by the battery and use one of these T handle pulls mounted under the dash. Pulling the handle will pull the Key out of the switch and you will not have to get out and open the hood and allows more time to do what is needed. Also prevents from running too many wires over a longer distance. Not sure this is ideal or not but just what I was thinking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
99856831_tp.jpg (15.3 KB, 13 views)
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Kinda like a lanyard kill mechanism in jet ski or such - neat idea!
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Rob, I was thinking of my boats system that is where I got the idea but remembered that jet skis and boats are just ignition. This way helps for a fire in the engine bay as well. Who has time to go open the hood when the car is burning. Could even get creative and make it look stock with the inside hood lock release
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM

I was told but haven't seen it yet that Auto Zone has one that works like a breaker.
Then again, I think you are running into the same problem I had with the amp meter inside the car. You're bringing hot power into the passanger side of the fire wall.
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Just remember that if the battery is supplying enough current to start a fire, then the cables and terminals at the battery might be quite hot as well. It's possible that a quick disconnect will be too hot to touch or won't operate.

I once watched a stock-class dragracer scramble to try to resolve a short circuit when his starter cable melted then welded itself to a header pipe. Using a wrench to disconnect the battery -- while the battery is heating up exponentially due to the dead short -- sounds like a good way to get a face full of acid.

I'm thinking that one of the best emergency tools to have on hand is a large pair of "dikes" aka diagonal cutter or wire cutter. I know that's the first tool the fire department uses when they are called to an accident scene. For most shorts, the only wire you have to cut is the fusible link coming off the battery + terminal. If that doesn't stop it, you can choose betwen the thick positive or negative cables.

Last edited by BlackGold; August 11th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Just remember that if the battery is supplying enough current to start a fire, then the cables and terminals at the battery might be quite hot as well. It's possible that a quick disconnect will be too hot to touch or won't operate.

I once watched a stock-class dragracer scramble to try to resolve a short circuit when his starter cable melted then welded itself to a header pipe. Using a wrench to disconnect the battery -- while the battery is heating up exponentially due to the dead short -- sounds like a good way to get a face full of acid.

I'm thinking that one of the best emergency tools to have on hand is a large pair of "dikes" aka diagonal cutter or wire cutter. I know that's the first tool the fire department uses when they are called to an accident scene. For most shorts, the only wire you have to cut is the fusible link coming off the battery + terminal. If that doesn't stop it, you can choose betwen the thick positive or negative cables.
Great idea! A set of heavy duty wire cutters are going in my cars with tht extinguisher. Where do you guys keep your extinquishers?