General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

For Canadian Members

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Dr.Olds Illegitimate Son

For Canadian Members

Hello fellow Canucks.

Where do you order your restoration parts from up here ? Any recommendation ? Who to stay away from ?

I've ordered from the US which is easy except most are shipeed UPS ground and UPS wants a $35 brokrage fee which I have a hard time choking down.

Brent
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:11 AM

Recommendation...Early Birds is quick and as a bonus, they send what you order.As for ones to stay away from...Ultimate Performance in Mallorytown.I ordered a rad cradle for a 70 W31 and they sent me a unit for a 68-69 GTO.When I called them (long distance, no 800 no.) they told me it was compatible and was the same as the one in a 70 Cutlass.Well, they both are "black!" That is the only thing they have in common.
It cost me $312. and they have refunded $255. so far. I am still trying to get the remainder back, but it's difficult as they won't return my calls. BTW, It cost me $115. to ship it back! Stay well away from them!
I also ordered a lower dash repair panel from the Parts Place near Chicago.For $72 plus $40 something in brokerage fees,taxes and whatever, I am now the proud owner of a dash repair panel for a 69 El Camino! (It probably fits a Camino...cause it sure as hell doesn't fit a Cutlass!)
Hope this helps a bit.
Bunser...burned in Ontario.
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:05 PM

I have a65 Dynamic 88 convertible. I've gotten a few trim parts from NOS in Kamoka ON. No online catolog at www.nosreproductions.com but nice, helpfiull guys on the phone (1-800-667-6200).
I've also purchased parts from www.usapartssupply.com with no problem.
There are tons of outlets for Culass parts around.
Mike
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:59 AM

Hello there, I have good Luck with fusicks those boys are great, USA parts supply has done good by me just about three weeks ago I weny down to Elburn Illinois and picked up a 442 bumper and the tips and a few other bits and pieces from the boys at the Parts Place they were very helpful and there stuff was very good quality... Sorry about the El Camino dashpad didn't they offer to do something... ??? Oh ya they boys there at the Parts place had all sorts of used centre consoles (4 Speed) for 66,67 442s and a bunch of other interesting parts...
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Thumbs down

re Parts Place: I paid $79 +$48 shipping for a total of $127. I could've shipped it back (approx. $50) and gotten approx. $60 back,(25% handling charge deducted.) I would then be out approx. $117 versus $127. It just wasn't worth the time and effort.I'm sorry, but I just can't believe a place as big as Parts Place doesn't know the difference between a 70 Cutlass dash and a 69 El Camino dash.They're just not similar by any stretch of the imagination! Glad you had good luck with them! I will not be dealing with them again.(Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me!)

Last edited by Bunser; March 17th, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM

And I thought some Aussie wreckers were bad !

Bunser,
That's a shocker... and you guys pay such huge $$ to ship stuff you'd think they gold plate it as part of the service.

I won an original 67 Olds workshop manual on ebay that turned out to be in Canada... for only US$18 ... I thought "What a bargain" ... then the shipping to Australia was nearly US$100 !

It actually turned out cheaper for me to get it sent to someone in the U.S.of A. and then sent from there to me here.

luckily the Canadian seller was just as shocked as me and let the whole thing go.

All the best from Down Under
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:53 AM

It may have just been a mistake.... they happen all the time, however they should pick up the entire cost of return and to send you a new one... That is what fusicks has done for me in the past.. As a matter of fact they let keep the part that they sent, and sent me the new one free of charge.. Fusicks is #1 for part and service..

Last edited by 66olds; March 14th, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Fusicks is pretty good, if you can cough up the price they want for their stuff! I've learned if you want the part and you're pressed for time, you just pay and bite the bullet.I went to Carlisle a couple of weeks ago looking for parts and came home with a few.Not many Olds parts vendors there.I tried for two days to buy a used rear axle rubber snubber,(don't ask!)I got skinned on an Olds clock!(never again though!)
Year One is not too bad, I just wish they would remove the parts that they no longer carry from their bloody online catalogue and update their prices! Apart from that, they are all right I guess.Happy shopping everybody!
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Hi Maverick,There is a good guy in London,Ont.He does'nt have a web site only a phone # or fax #.His phone# is 519-666-1430,His fax # is 519-666-0518.The name is
D.J. AUTOMOTIVE--THE OLDSMOBILE CONNECTION.
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM

He is a buddy of mine.... nice fella...
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Maverick,
I've got a 1972 Cutlass S. Believe it or not, it WAS my fathers Oldsmobile - bought new in 72. I've restored the body and fittings with NOS back in 1986. The interior is original and still cherry (honest to God) doesn't look like it's ever been sat in. Lucky me, everything's more than 2 or 3 times more now.
Anyway, about where to get parts....
Probably like everyone, I buy a lot from the states. Most of it comes from ebay because there's no apparent shortage of cars being dismantled; and there seems to be a lot of hidden treasures surfacing as NOS from bygone days. There are a few places in Canada that you can get parts, but shipping via Greyhound or Canada Post isn't really any cheaper.

As far as aftermarket suppliers, I've had real good results from Fusicks (dj442), Parts Place, Tamraz, Year One, and OPG. You really have to shop their catalogues though because they highball and lowball in the wierdest ways. One thing about some of the aftermarket plastic parts...they may look right, but may not fit exactly. I do not endorse BAP and have boycotted them for the past 3 years because they charged me $US45.00 for shipping on 2 separate purchases. It was supposed to go UPS expedited 4-5 day service (oversize). Got them 1 month later via USPS air parcel post for 17.55. When I called for an explanation or a refund, they refused and accused me of trying to extort money. Some of their prices are competitive, most are too high when compared to others. Anyway, you can choose for yourself.

About shipping...If you can get the seller to ship USPS that's great because they don't usually get hung up in customs. Some of the US shippers will declare the shipping value for less so it doesn't go to Canada customs; but that's between you and the seller. You run a risk if it gets lost or isn't registered. But some of the bigger stuff isn't practical to send any other way except courier. It doesn't matter which one, they ALL will charge you a brokerage in addition to customs. I don't like it either. I bought a used OEM Rallye pac gauge for 295 (great deal). Shipping, Customs and brokerage cost me over 100 bucks. Unfortunately that's just the cost of doing business and overall the part adds to the restoration because it's authentic. Considering the price of oil nowadays, I don't think it's going to get better.

Sorry to be such a windbag. If this info helps, good on ya!! If you're looking for something specific, I do a lot of web browsing. Drop me a line; I might know where to look.

Allan R
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM

A few months ago, I said early-birds sent what you ordered. Well, to clarify, on a $45. order, they sent what I ordered.On $450. order, they sent the wrong %%$#$^&%^%^ gas tank. I've e-mailed them today to see what, if anything they are going to do.( My guess is, I pay to ship the wrong tank back, and then, I get to pay shipping on the correct tank!)I shall post their response.
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bunser
A few months ago, I said early-birds sent what you ordered. Well, to clarify, on a $45. order, they sent what I ordered.On $450. order, they sent the wrong %%$#$^&%^%^ gas tank. I've e-mailed them today to see what, if anything they are going to do.( My guess is, I pay to ship the wrong tank back, and then, I get to pay shipping on the correct tank!)I shall post their response.

Easy there big fella!!
Yup, I'd be upset if the order got screwed up too. But give them a chance to do you right before you go to ballistic.

If it's their mistake, I expect they will have you ship it back collect, or they will reimburse your shipping. Good companies don't make you pay for their mistakes.

If they have an 800 number, call them and explain the problem, but stay cool about it. When calmer heads prevail, you usually get the best results. Put yourself on the other end of the email or phone call and pretend that you have to deal with the upset customer. Helps you appreciate both sides better.

I hope that all goes well and that everything works out great. If they did a good job on your first order, I'm betting they will try to resolve this in a manner that is mutally beneficial.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM

I talked to "issy" at "early-chickens"...(his words, not mine,) about the wrong gas tank they sent. He said, that they would order another tank from their supplier and ship it out.When the new,correct tank shows up, I am to give the old tank, (packed in it's original box,) to the courier who will return it to "early-chickens."
Sounds easy enough, we'll see how it works out.I shall endeavour to update when the transaction is complete.

PS
Thanks for the words of wisdom Al. It's nice when a cooler head offers their sage advice to the frustrated and beaten down consumer.

Last edited by Bunser; October 22nd, 2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: too numerous to mention.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM

Anybody know where is the best place to buy carpet for a 64 starfire?
I am near Hamilton Ontario?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:08 AM

www.nosreproductions.com

Komoka is just outside of London.They should be able to help you out.
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Did you know you can do your own brokerage without paying someone else. I did it when I bought a hood from the US. I called Canada Customs, went to the airport, filled out a form and signed it. I paid the GST, Alberta has no provincial tax and Canada has no duty with parts made in the USA so that was it. It all depends on if you have the time. If you do, do it yourself, if not, then you pay someone to do it for you.
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:47 AM
69CuttyS

Originally Posted by 442much
I called Canada Customs, went to the airport, filled out a form and signed it.
So if it's shipped by truck, you'd have to go to the point of entry?
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:05 AM

The Parts Place is good. However, when it comes to certain body pieces, you have to be careful what you're ordering. For instance, they're the ONLY place that has the proper chrome arm rest backing plates to put on your door panels. They also have the correct 442 battery cable routing tube. So, they're not worthless.

Problem is, they try to sell body pieces as "for" your car, when it's not--it fits some other GM car. And you basically have to beat it out of them that it's not correct. For instance, their 4-core radiator mounts being sold are not correct for a 68-69 Cutlass/442. They should be 4" and the ones being sold as "correct" are 5 or 5.5". In any event, they do this because proper replacements aren't made and I guess they assume you'd rather have something to work with. It doesn't excuse it, it's just an explanation.

In the end, all of the parts carriers seem to do this. Fusick's is good because they are exclusively Oldsmobile. Plus, depending where in CA you are, it's fairly close.

Tom

p.s. By the way, no one makes the proper dash pieces for an Olds. I just went through this with my 442. Not fun.
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
So if it's shipped by truck, you'd have to go to the point of entry?
No. Mine was shipped by truck and I'm a 6 hour drive north of Montana. They took it to the airport.