General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Can I go from retro to Rocket?

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2011, 12:44 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Can I go from retro to Rocket?

How-D,

I have this stand-up emblem on the nose of my Custom Cruiser:

I'm sure it's wonderful for those who remember when Olds used this logo, but to me it's just OLD.

I can't find a non-sticking-up-emblem "bullnose" piece (one without ANY hole in it as there's a "new" Rocket about four inches lower in the middle of the grille), so I'm wondering if there's a "Rocket" emblem of some kind that will swap right in.

I've seen different ones on different models but don't know if my nose "art" can be traded out for any others.

[That picture, by the way, is of the "bad" side--the other is perfect--so I'm not going to toss it, in case anyone wondered.]

Heck, YOU might be in the market for one of these "classic" spring-loaded deelies to replace your new-style ornament, so trading works, too. I figured if there ever was a place to sort this out, this'd be it...

Drew
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:19 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

This is probably not what your looking for.It sounds as if you want something flat that does not stick up. I wanted to show you this as an option just in case you can't source a flat emblem.
It's a stand up rocket.It looks as if it would be a bolt on replacement for what you have now.
I use it as a hood ornament for my workbench

Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:32 AM

I put a hood ornament from a 78 Cutlass on my 86 Cutlass. My 86 came with the one like what you have on your wagon.
The 78 one is chrome metal with a red inner with just a rocket. Tall and narrow.
I did have to file the spring loop a little to get it to fit though.
I can get a picture later if you are interested.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:07 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Here's a little more info now that I've had a chance to search for images. First off, I'd love to have one of THESE Rockets without it looking stupid...

...but as they would--and as they don't fit with the rest of the trim I have (though the '66 might) and can kill pedestrians (the '51 looks like that's why they designed it that way)--I like the look of this one best so far...

[...though I'm wondering if there was ever an emblem like this that had the red Rocket "busting out" of the frame, like the one you see in the banner up top.]

This one's from a Cutlass, it says, and looks like the one you provided the photo of:

Don't know that I'm sold on the red trim vs. the all-silver, but it's good-looking regardless (though the trim strip they're mounted on doesn't look like it matches well enough).

And yes, IDEALLY for me, if one of these B-Bodies (maybe Chevy?) had the hood center "line" all the way to the nose WITHOUT a stand-up ornament [see '66 in group photo above], I'd go with that.

SO, these are just the ones I could find readily, so if there's something along these lines I didn't include (and you are inclined to do so), let me know.

[Also get ready for my next question, which, if history repeats itself as it has with EVERY CAR I'VE EVER HAD WITH A STANDING ORNAMENT, I'll want to know what to do when the spring and/or mount breaks despite my being "very careful"... ]