General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Can hand turning Crank while plugs still in cause damage?

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Angry Can hand turning Crank while plugs still in cause damage?

I know this is something stupid I did but here goes. I poured a little AT fluid in each cylinder and replaced the plugs in my spare 455 which sits on an engine dolly. Waited 1/2 hour or so and went back to hand crank the motor to move the liquid around BUT forgot to remove the plugs. Obviously it was really difficult to turn and I was hearing hissing sounds as I turned it one way and then the other never getting anywhere close to a revolution. Anyway as I was reefing with the breaker bar and socket I heard a mulitple cracking sound and that's when it dawned on me the plugs were still in!!! DUH! Not sure what the sound was but I figured it was just the socket slipping off the crank bolt creating the cracking sound but now I'm worried after reading about hydro lock. My friend says I'd need to be superman to break anything but I just want some ressurance from the experts here...I'm beating myself up pretty good over this one fearing I've messed up the internals over stupid forgetfulness. Could I have broken something? Thanks

Last edited by atkinsom; August 29th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Arrrggggg

No, it can be done but will be rather hard to turn as opposed to removing plugs and cranking engine around. Someone may know something I don't but what you are doing by turning by hand is no different than letting the engine turn over via starter. Only difference is your not turning it fast enough to start the engine. That hissing sound you hear is compressed air being pushed out as the motor is turned over. Cranking a motor by way of socket on crankshaft isn't going to hurt it. Now what you pour into it, or anything like that is another ball park.

THe cracking sounds could be the fact the bolt is being tightend and lossened since you said you were going both directions in short turns with no full revolution. Mine did the same thing the other night. If you turned it to the right you are putting tight pressure on the bolt and if you go to turn it in reverse it very well could pop because you are in fact attempting to loosen the crank shaft bolt. Just my .02

Last edited by Creativeindy; August 29th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old August 29th, 2012, 02:47 PM

Cracking was probably the crank bolt TIGHTENING more than it was...The only way you could hurt anything is if you were strong enough to keep rotating the engine at 1,000 or so RPM's while the cylinder was full of water.

In other words, there is no possible way you did anything bad to the engine. Next time take out the plugs and it'll save your back Is the engine rebuilt? Or were you trying to break the rings loose in an old engine? Reason I ask is you can use regular oil if it's rebuilt...the only reason I could think to use ATF is to break stuck pistons.
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Administrator

No damage, but you got a work out that most people would pay for!!
Old August 29th, 2012, 07:15 PM

OK thanks guys...just paranoid I guess as I'm reading and learning as I go along. I'm trying to be more hands on with the car than I was before. The 455 engine is a rebuild with less than 3000 miles on it. The previous owner of the motor (bros. friend) put the motor away 11 years ago after he almost flipped his car...way too much torque for him but perfect for me I hope He had it running before I bought it and it sounded very nice...I'll see if I can dig up the videos I took before I bought it. What a workout though turning the crank with the plugs in...impossible! LOL!
Old August 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by atkinsom
What a workout though turning the crank with the plugs in...impossible! LOL!
Yeah, you were squeezing the oil out through the ring gaps - same principle as a shock absorber:
the harder you push, the harder it resists.

- Eric
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:01 AM

Well here's the video of the motor starting up for the first time after 11 years just before I took it home. First video is first start up so the rockers are clacking a bit but some of that has to do with rocker position the previous owner played with. Second video after it settled down. The previous owner is an old time OLDS guy that really knows his stuff. My brother has tried to explain his little tricks but I'm a little thick. All I know is this motor was pretty nasty in it's day as a street car. I said to him it sounds quiet but he says don't let that deceive you whipper snapper LOL!

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6671/q8q.mp4

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1470/zgu.mp4