General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Buckets to Bench?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:24 PM

Buckets to Bench?

It's apparent that it's easier to find a Cutlass/442 (or any A body) with buckets rather than a front bench. Many of the cars made with a bench have been converted to buckets +/- console. I know there are still some out there with a bench, but it pales compared to the selection with buckets.

I need a bench seat in front. What's entailed in converting a car with buckets to a bench, and how much would this cost?

It looks like a basic bench seat can be found for a couple hundred bucks - and would then need to buy new covers, possibly foam. But what else is involved?

I realize that if it's a console shift automatic, that it would take transmission/steering column changes - so that seems cost prohibitive. That leaves manuals.

If it has a console, and the console is removed, does that usually mean new carpet? I guess some trim/boot piece would then be needed for the shifter?

Has anyone done this? I guess it can't be too difficult, but I know it goes against the grain, as the switch to -- and not from -- buckets is common.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:47 PM

I think first you should tell us exactly what year and model, and then we can tell you who to see, or sell/swap what you seek. It can be done, but just about every year has it's own little differences, so knowing what you have/need will be a step in the right direction. Not all of the "conversions" were 100% correct, so you might not need to change the column, speedo, etc.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:54 PM

'69 post coupe in mid MI has a bench seat

dirt cheap
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:55 PM

I don't have a specific year/model yet. 1965 to 1971. A - Body Convertible

(minus Buick - simply because I've already had both a '65 Skylark and a '70 GS455 recently, so am done with that make for now.)