General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Broken oil dipstick tube.

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2018, 09:48 AM

Broken oil dipstick tube.

Ok while doing a header swap I broke the dipstick tube off in the block. I tried all the different suggestion's that I could find except the slide hammer, which probably would have worked. So any way the tube is now sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. The question I have is it safe to start the car? What damage can the broken piece cause to the engine? Thanks for your time.
Old May 31st, 2018, 09:54 AM
Administrator

You should not have any problems with it being in the bottom of the pan. Next time you do an oil change use some stiff wire to fish it out.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:02 AM

Thank you that's a relief. It's been challenging switching to shorty headers, now if I can get the new tube in without destroying it I could have my car out this weekend.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:14 AM
Administrator

I think we've all had those "everything goes to crap" moments.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:20 AM

What Tom said....but "IF" you can't actually see the remains of the tube in the block then it most likely fell down into the pan, I mean where else would it go. So, considering the possible cost of the remaining piece of tubing somehow geting caught up in a whipping cranshaft I would drain the oil now and try to fish it out with the wire method or one of the small magnets that's connected to a bendable rod. ..... or drop the pan if that's possible in your chassis. I know that sounds like a lot of work depending on your application but if that little tube got thrown up into a conn rod or piston .......then it would be a helluva lot more work. I hope whatever you do works out...... Dave
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You should not have any problems with it being in the bottom of the pan. Next time you do an oil change use some stiff wire to fish it out.

HUH? The lower end of the tube is like six inches long. Good luck fishing that out through the drain plug hole.

To the OP: Yes, the slide hammer works every time and avoids the headaches that you now have. A bigger hammer is not always the right solution.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:40 AM
Administrator

I thought it was just a couple of inches long. Either way they don't float and will stay at the bottom of the pan.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:45 AM

That’s a scary vision Dave. I’ve decided to drop the oil pan. This is a great forum and thanks to everyone who chimed in.
Arthur
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I thought it was just a couple of inches long.

Old May 31st, 2018, 06:34 PM

had a knock in my chevy motor,so I pulled it out, pulled the pan and found the 4" piece of dipstick I was missing, caught between big end of con rods,every turn it would hit the pan and block. pull the pan.
Old June 1st, 2018, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Townie
Thank you that's a relief. It's been challenging switching to shorty headers, now if I can get the new tube in without destroying it I could have my car out this weekend.
Where did you get the shorty headers?
Old June 2nd, 2018, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, the slide hammer works every time and avoids the headaches that you now have.
So what if it breaks off flush with the block; how could a slide hammer be used?

And if there is a remaining bit, do you grab it with a pair of vise grips and then fasten the slide hammer to the grips?
Old June 2nd, 2018, 09:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
So what if it breaks off flush with the block; how could a slide hammer be used?

Use a self-threading screw that fits tightly in the tube. I've actually made an adapter with the correct size self-threading screw welded head-to-head with a 1/4-20 screw that threads into the end of my slide hammer.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 09:34 AM

Hi Zeeke I bought them from Thornton. Quality is very good. I had to put new motor mounts because the right side was hitting the frame and remove the oil filter housing and dipstick tube which was a whole different issue. I wish I would’ve gotten them to begin with the fit is excellent.

Last edited by Townie; June 2nd, 2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old June 4th, 2018, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Use a self-threading screw that fits tightly in the tube. I've actually made an adapter with the correct size self-threading screw welded head-to-head with a 1/4-20 screw that threads into the end of my slide hammer.
I have a loose dipstick tube on my 4-4-2. Tell me more on this slide hammer technique. Photo encouraged.
Old June 5th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by F-85 4-4-2
I have a loose dipstick tube on my 4-4-2. Tell me more on this slide hammer technique. Photo encouraged.

I'm confused. If the dipstick tube is loose, why do you need a slide hammer to pull it out?
Old June 5th, 2018, 09:44 AM

Doh! I was looking for a way to pop it in fully, not remove it. Probably why I'm not trusted with a slide hammer.
Old June 5th, 2018, 05:24 PM

If the tube isn't all the way in you could overfill your oil. Best way i found to seat the dipstick is with closed end of an open end wrench, have the tube end chilled and the block warm. To the OP, good plan to remove piece, one less thing to worry about, good luck.
Old June 5th, 2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by F-85 4-4-2
Doh! I was looking for a way to pop it in fully, not remove it. Probably why I'm not trusted with a slide hammer.
The last one I installed was so tight that I feared it would bend or break trying to get it into the block. I ended up lightly sanding the fat section to narrow it slightly so it went in easier.
Old June 6th, 2018, 06:53 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Fun71
The last one I installed was so tight that I feared it would bend or break trying to get it into the block. I ended up lightly sanding the fat section to narrow it slightly so it went in easier.
That is how the Supercars Unlimited dipstick tube was to install. The chrome dipstick tubes fit loose like the F85 4-4-2 is experiencing.
Old June 6th, 2018, 07:14 PM

I had to file the ribs on the new dipstick tube to get it to fit in the block. The broken piece is still in the oil pan where it will stay until I can get on the lift again and take the oil pan down. I put a neodymium magnet on the bottom of the oil pan hoping the broken piece will stick to it.
Old June 7th, 2018, 04:50 PM

ne·o·dym·i·um
ˌnēōˈdimēəm/
noun
noun: neodymium; symbol: Nd
  1. the chemical element of atomic number 60, a silvery-white metal of the lanthanide series. Neodymium is a component of misch metal and some other alloys, and its compounds are used in coloring glass and ceramics.