General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Brake prop valve leak

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2020 | 12:59 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Brake prop valve leak

Merry Christmas everyone! Been noticing a few drops of brake fluid on garage floor, thought it came from the master cylinder - but power booster was dry. Then looked at prop valve, and noticed it was damp.

From searching threads on CO I’ve learned tightening fittings is important, any other advice/ideas? Posted best photos I could get, may not be helpful. Valve was replaced about a year ago, 1971 442. Thanks in advance for any and all knowledge sharing.

Old December 26th, 2020 | 02:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

The Chinesium brass combo valves are unfortunately notorious for leaking in the last few years. If the leak is internal (as opposed to a flare nut fitting) they can be rebuilt. The seals are pretty must just o-rings.
Old December 26th, 2020 | 03:44 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Thank you Joe. I don’t own a flare nut wrench set and was looking at this from Amazon, do you have a recommendation? Thanks again.

GEARDRIVE Flare Nut Wrench Set, SAE, 3-piece, 3/8'' to 11/16'' , Chrome Vanadium Steel, Organizer Pouch Included
Amazon Amazon
Old December 26th, 2020 | 03:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vCode442
Thank you Joe. I don’t own a flare nut wrench set and was looking at this from Amazon, do you have a recommendation? Thanks again.

GEARDRIVE Flare Nut Wrench Set, SAE, 3-piece, 3/8'' to 11/16'' , Chrome Vanadium Steel, Organizer Pouch Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Y6HT7F...ing=UTF8&psc=1
I have no experience with Gearwrench. I have a set of Craftsman flare nut wrenches that I've owned since right after the earth cooled. I've also picked up a set of Snap-On flare nut crowsfoot (crowsfeet??) wrenches that seem to fit the nuts a lot more tightly and are much less prone to rounding.

Old December 26th, 2020 | 04:16 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Surprisingly found a Craftsman set at Lowe’s for under 20 bucks, not sure if they’re chinesium, or western forge made in USA. Still have full lifetime warranty so why not, I’ll be picking them up tomorrow, thanks again Joe.

Old December 26th, 2020 | 05:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I have two sets of these (Metric & SAE) purchased just prior to the onset of The Cascadia Subduction Zone (CSZ) "megathrust" fault. Absolute lifesavers is what they are.
Amen! I've had a number of situations recently that would have been impossible to access without these. The metric ones I have are Proto, but I don't use them anywhere near as much as my SAE ones, so that's probably fine.
Old December 26th, 2020 | 05:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Since you're going on a shopping event, I'll toss out a couple suggestions you might like to peruse while entertaining yourself in the automotive tools section.
I love shopping for tools. These items are sure to reduce your four-letter word vocabulary.

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-9-4.../dp/B007C6KG18
https://www.ebay.com/p/1011836179
https://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-...e/p-A023241015
I'll second the flex head ratchet. Don't know how I lived without it.
Old December 26th, 2020 | 05:44 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

What are your thoughts on these Norm and Joe? For my purposes I’m leaning towards the Craftsman's from Lowe’s - at a 10th of the price...

Old December 26th, 2020 | 06:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've used Craftsman since I got my first car in high school. All my C-man tools are US made, either bought new when you could or bought used at swap meets. The Snap-on crows foot wrenches are about the only Snap-on tools I have, and I bought those used also at Carlisle a couple of years ago. I can't comment on Chinesium C-man, as I don't have any of those. I wouldn't hesitate to buy new US-made C-man, well, other than I'm cheap and always buy used.
Old December 26th, 2020 | 06:54 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

I hear you guys loud and clear, cheap (low quality) tools can be very costly in the long run. Reminds me of the $50 tattoo that costs $1000 to laser off.

Craftsman from Lowe’s should suffice - and thankful I never got the mascot tattoo that my dorm buddies did.
Old December 26th, 2020 | 10:23 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The main problem with the lesser quality flare wrenches is jaw flex or jaw spring. The better tool steel won't flex(as much).
Unfortunately, there is no way to tell until you use the tool.
I'd also recommend a set of crow's feet. Stubby open ends can be your friend as well.

I'd first inspect the male and female flares before going right at a faulty distribution block.
YouTube that to know what you're looking for. If you need to dig deeper into the brake system you will need the tools mentioned here and above.

I have had good luck with the Gearwrench brand, though not flares. Try to buy USA.

Proto and Armstrong are or at least were 8-10 years ago USA. Not sure now. Some Stanley was USA as well.
Proto wrenches are every bit as good as Snappy and not quite as expensive.
If you can find old well cared for tools from before Corporate America sold out buy them....all of them.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/what-...de-in-the-usa/
https://blog.cheapism.com/diy-usa-to...rica/#slide=25
Old December 27th, 2020 | 05:20 AM

There is only 2 items in my tool box that are Snap-On that I bought new. One is a set of SAE flare nut wrenches, the other is a set of Torx bits. I bought both when I was young and worked as a mechanic. I do think the Snap On flare wrenches were worth the cost. But if I were to need to buy a set today at 64 years old and not a mechanic anymore, I probably would buy Craftsman or the like...
Old December 27th, 2020 | 07:42 AM
Administrator

The only time I buy Snapon is for a specialty tool. The Craftsman tools are fine for the home mechanic and the savings in $$$ you can buy other needed tools.
Old December 27th, 2020 | 09:23 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience, I really appreciate it. When I was 16 in West Chester PA, proud owner of my 72 V Code 442, I was fortunate to have a car guy neighbor, an engineer at Sunoco, and holder of many patents. Brilliant helpful hard-working guy with seven kids, but had time to come over when he saw me under my car and ask me if I need any help.

He had three things I didn’t have: the correct knowledge, the correct tools and the correct experience, and I benefited greatly. He bailed me out often when I was in way over my head - I’ve grown substantially in those 40 years, but still have much to learn. Thank you Ben Keenan, and thank you CO.
Old December 29th, 2020 | 10:21 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Just to wrap it up, was able to tighten this flare nut and had it out for a nice ride with no leak, 70 here today and lots of sun.

Old December 29th, 2020 | 11:00 AM

All these fine people help you out with advise and then you rub their faces in the Dirt about how nice the Weather is where your are at. WELL PLAYED!!!
Old December 29th, 2020 | 11:28 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Originally Posted by Guy Fillinger
All these fine people help you out with advise and then you rub their faces in the Dirt about how nice the Weather is where your are at. WELL PLAYED!!!

Ha! Purely coincidental and unintentional, my apologies.
However, and on the flipside - we all know how our engines prefer cold dense air versus hot humid air.
So remember, all of you in cooler climates, smile as you fire up your motor with the knowledge that it’s breathing much better than ours down here in the hot humid sunny warm climates
Old December 29th, 2020 | 11:33 AM

I got nothing better to do so, I put out these snide comments. Yes I am a Dick!