General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Brake Pedal Height

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2017, 05:54 PM

Brake Pedal Height

I noticed when I bought my 1969 442 that the brake pedal sits a good inch or two higher than the clutch pedal. From what I can see it's the original pedal assembly and I can't see any way to adjust it down so it sits at the same height as the clutch.

My brother was over the other day and mentioned that the pedal seemed high to himself well. Does anyone know if I can adjust the height of the pedal? Not sure if it matters but the car has manual drum brakes all around
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lsx442
I noticed when I bought my 1969 442 that the brake pedal sits a good inch or two higher than the clutch pedal. From what I can see it's the original pedal assembly and I can't see any way to adjust it down so it sits at the same height as the clutch.

My brother was over the other day and mentioned that the pedal seemed high to himself well. Does anyone know if I can adjust the height of the pedal? Not sure if it matters but the car has manual drum brakes all around

Are you sure it's not your clutch linkage out of adjustment allowing the clutch pedal to sit too low?
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Administrator

The brake is supposed to be higher than the clutch. Th brake pedal is supposed to be against the rubber stop. There is a small adjustment on the clevis if you want to lower it, but you'll need to pull the booster to do it.

Old October 13th, 2017, 06:18 AM

I've looked at several other A Bodies and haven't noticed them being as high. For the most part they all appear to be fairly level with the clutch pedal. Maybe they weren't original pedal assemblies?

I was wondering if the rod was the wrong length but I would expect it to preload the brakes and I've found no sign of that. I might try adjusting the length of the clevis slightly