General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:09 PM

Brake Light Problem

I justed installed a tilt steering column and my 72 supreme. Prior to removing the non-tilt column the brake lights worked when I pushed on them. Now they only work if I turn on my light switch. Is there a wire I forgot to plug in? if so what color is it. Thanks for all the input.
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sounds like the signal light switch in the new column is shot.

I think that the later tilt and non-tilt switches may interchange, but I'm not sure.

- Eric
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:23 AM

Just to be clear, when you turn on your headlights, your tail lights work. Now when the headlights are on and you push your brake pedal , do your brake lights work? If not , then you should replace your brake light switch located under the brake pedal assembly. I just had this problem and that fixed it. The switch was about $5.00 I think.
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72cutlassdog
I justed installed a tilt steering column and my 72 supreme. Prior to removing the non-tilt column the brake lights worked when I pushed on them. Now they only work if I turn on my light switch. Is there a wire I forgot to plug in? if so what color is it. Thanks for all the input.
Let's back up. First, the 1157 bulbs in the tail/brake lights have two filaments with a common ground. One filament is illuminated through the parking light circuit, the other is illuminated for brake and turn signals.

When you say the "brake" lights only work with the headlights on, do you mean that the lights really do go off an on when pressing on the brake pedal? Are you sure this is the brake/turn filament and not the tail light filament? Do the turn signals work, both with and without the headlights on? What year tilt column did you get?

I'm guessing that either the pinouts from the turn signal switch in that new column are different or the switch is bad, but without more troubleshooting (and information on the exact symptoms) we can't tell for sure.
Old June 16th, 2013, 04:49 AM

I've had tilts with lots of miles on them. The wires inside tend to get worn and ground or break. Nasty business. My 67 Delta 88 did that. Have to make sure it's the correct year column, perhaps, and that the wires and parts are all in decent shape.
Old June 16th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's been over two days, and the OP has still not responded with a clear description of his problem.

He said, "Prior to removing the non-tilt column the brake lights worked when I pushed on them. Now they only work if I turn on my light switch."

My instinct, ASSuming that he installed the correct column, was that this sounds like a signal light switch problem. (On further thought, the tilt and non-tilt switches can not be the same, as tilt switch levers screw in and non-tilt levers do not).

Joe correctly pointed to the fact that the OP's description was unclear and mentioned the possibility of a pinout discrepancy (though I am under the impression that though there are two plugs, a curved and a straight, there are not any pinout variations within plug shapes).

In fact, he does not tell us:
  • What he "pushed on" to get the brake light to work (or not to work),
  • What "light switch" he needs to turn on to get the brake lights to work, and what setting of that switch makes them work,
  • Whether the brake lights go on immediately when he turns on this "light switch," or whether he then needs to "push on" them afterward,
  • Whether the lights that go on are, in fact, the brake light filaments or the tail light filaments.
We await the answers to these and other questions.

- Eric
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:47 PM

Sorry guys I was gone for a couple of days. My brake lights only come on if I turn on the headlight switch with the tilt column I just installed. I previously had a non-tilt column and everything worked great. It wasn't an Oldsmobile column though, I believe a Buick or Pontiac because "prndl" was on the column itself. When I first try plugin in the switch on top of the new column it didn't fit so I called the guy I deal with at the classic wrecking yard that I known for years very knowledgeable guy. He told me to turn the plugin upside down and it worked. I just find it weird that they don't work now. Just to be clear when I push on the brake pedal, no lights come on at all.

Last edited by 72cutlassdog; June 17th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay, this is a strange problem, because the headlights have nothing to do with the signal / brake lights, and there is no headlight wiring that goes into or through the signal light switch or the column.

Obviously, in diagnosing most problems, the most likely cause is the last thing you did, so I would recommend looking carefully at the column wiring and checking to make sure that the colors on both sides of the plug match up (Pontiac and Olds should use the same color coding).

Next, I would disconnect the plug and test the individual circuits - apply 12V to each lightbulb circuit and check to see whether the correct bulb is illuminated outside the car, also confirm that the taillights illuminate the correct filament in each bulb.
Once you've done all of this, you will have eliminated or found a problem in a light bulb, socket, or ground. If all is well, that pretty much leaves the signal light switch, wires, and plug.

I will say, though, that the symptoms you describe seem to point more to a poorly installed bulb, corroded socket, or bad ground, though.

- Eric
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:12 AM

I'd go back to the original column, and turf this one on the "for sale" pile.
Just one man's opinion.
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:09 PM

I probably will be taking the column back, if I don't get the brake lights to work soon. I did the unthinkable and broke the horn button contact (plastic piece) on accident. Are they easy to replace? What year should I be looking at to take the piece off of a tilt column?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
horn contact.jpg (63.1 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 72cutlassdog; June 18th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 72cutlassdog
I probably will be taking the column back, if I don't get the brake lights to work soon. I did the unthinkable and broke the horn button contact (plastic piece) on accident. Are they easy to replace? What year should I be looking at to take the piece off of a tilt column?
There's no joy in Mudville. Not sure what to say next. I see a coaching opportunity for wiser men than I.
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:40 PM

I would like to thank you all for your responses. The problem has been resolved. I took the tilt column back along with my old non-tilt column. left it with my guy for a day. Not sure what he did, but now my brake lights work when I press on the brakes.
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's one way to fix it.

Glad it works now.

- Eric