General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Bolt kits for 350 re-build

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:50 AM

Bolt kits for 350 re-build

I did some research online and searched this site regarding bolt kits for the olds 350. I could not fine anything. I called Summit Racing and they said they didn't have any, and if they didn't they don't make them. I believe him but thought it was worth checking on. Does anyone know of a company that sells a bolt kit for the olds 350's? If not what do you do if you don't want to re-use the old ones? The reason I ask is I tore a good part of a 350 down earlier this year and a lot of the hardware was in bad shape. The current motor I am going to take apart has been sitting for 5-6 years at least and I assume there will be some trouble. I would really like to just have all new hardware for it. I am thinking tear the engine down and just count up the hardware and go buy new ones? I know this isn't just regular hardware so where can you get replacements? Any thoughts would be great, thank you
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:59 AM

Not sure what you're looking for... Everything ?
Major engine fasteners like rod/main/head bolts studs are avail from ARP & OPP (Olds Performance Products).
Things like valve covers, timing cover, exh mani, intake mani bolt kits are available from places like Fusick, ILT, OPP, or fleaBay.
Most everthing else can be bought at your local hardware/farm-fleet store. Its all standard SAE sizes. Just make sure to get the proper grade where required.

If you need the black oxide fasteners (hardware/farm stores usually carry cad plate) there's places like AMK or Fastenal...
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:05 AM

Ya sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant external hardware, the things you can see from the outside. More cosmetics. thanks for the info
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This is one of those questions that hinges on each person's own personal OCD.

In terms of function, you can definitely reuse almost every single fastener, even on a really crappy, rusty motor, just by cleaning up the old ones, and maybe chasing the threads.

In your own case, if I'm not mistaken, you've got three separate engines (the original, which was in a corner of the barn when you got the car, the one that came in the car, which didn't work right, and the one you bought and put into the car), and you should be able to find enough "nice" fasteners on all three to make a full, clean set.

Hardware store fasteners will work just fine, but, if you're the "originalist" type, may not be satisfying, because the markings on the heads of the bolts will be different.

Finally, for the truly obsessive restorer, there's AMK - they have almost everything (but are not cheap), just like the originals. Allen's Fasteners is also a good source, and reasonably priced.

I'd reuse the old ones.

- Eric
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:59 AM

Hardware store fasteners will work just fine, but, if you're the "originalist" type, may not be satisfying, because the markings on the heads of the bolts will be different.

I'd reuse the old ones.
===================
Agreed
Partly because I have many gallons of used fasteners.
Partly because the fit and finish is correct, and the quality unquestionable.

For example, proper rocker cover bolts are hard to find at the hardware store, because the drive is a non-std 3/8" tool size. If you use a 7/16 tool size std issue 1/4 screw, there will not be clearance for the socket. Probably not the smooth flange either.

Use the right stuff- real factory fasteners.

Your knotted wire wheel is your friend.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...FUKd4Aod52gAHA
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM

Ok guys thanks for the tips. I will re-use everything that I can, makes sense.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Use the right stuff- real factory fasteners.

Your knotted wire wheel is your friend.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...FUKd4Aod52gAHA
Agreed. And, once you've degreased/ knocked off most of the rust, throw them in a jar with some vinegar for a few days. I did and it got rust out of threads/crevices. They came out nice & clean...
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Totally Stainless sells complete bolt kits for Olds motors. These are for the external bolts. They have a variety of head styles, from stock to 12-point, to allen.