General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Blinker switch

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Blinker switch

Hey Guys
I Got HER HOME
Her bing My 66 Dynamic 88

Straight down to it then
The turn sigal lever was laying in the floor board, so i,m guess before i even pull the aftermarket wheel off , it,s a good bet the switch is KAPUT

Has anyone any idea where i,m likly to get a new switch for the colum ?
I found a Universal Switch on ebay i may have to use in the mean time , but iff possible i would like the orig one fixed/replaced

any idea,s
do any off the other cars use the same switch on the colum ?

Regards
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Oldsdruid

You might find one on ebay, or thru some of the vintage parts suppliers, but be ready to pay out the wazoo for it. They're convinced those switches are 24k gold.

Then, the kicker. You have one of those cars that could use either a Guide or Boyne made switch. They're not interchangeable; the whole upper column assembly is different between them. So you have to figure out which switch you have. Easiest way I know to tell is the Guide switch has screws holding the bearing in, the Boyne has rivets. Some Boynes are blue. Another one of them things nobody knows why they did it, but most Boyne equipped cars were Jetaway (P R N D L) transmission from what I've seen.

I think you'd come out cheaper finding a complete steering column with a good switch from a junkyard and transplanting it into your car. That would also be simpler than tearing down the column. You also have the option then of finding a tilt (1965) or Tilt-Telescopic (1966) column if you like. A column from any 1965-66 88 or 98 with the same transmission will bolt in.

However- if you want the switch only, group 2.895, part # 911051 65-66 except tilt wheel or cornering lamps is the Guide switch. Boyne switch is p/n 387115.

Joe Padavano has a Hollander interchange manual covering these years. He may be able to tell you what other GM cars used the same switches. Pontiac would be my first guess. Maybe a TurboHydraMatic equipped Buick.

Then there's always the possibility somebody just didn't put the lever back in when they put the aftermarket steering wheel on. We should all be so lucky.

Previous Owner's Stamp. Those three words explain a lot of the messes we find on our cars.

Last edited by rocketraider; August 30th, 2008 at 09:14 AM.