General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Best way to Ship from Canada to USA?

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2014, 07:28 PM

Best way to Ship from Canada to USA?

Can anybody advise me on the best/most economical way of sending used (vintage) parts from Canada to the USA? Anything I need to be aware of such as customs requirements to ensure the item makes it to the destination in a safe and timely manner?
Old July 15th, 2014, 08:17 PM

Not sure but one thing is for sure,I'm done shipping into Canada.
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Not sure but one thing is for sure,I'm done shipping into Canada.
Dare I ask, or do I wanna know?
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:54 PM

Canada post to USPS has worked well for me.
Old July 15th, 2014, 10:38 PM

ill vouch for canada post,same coming the other way usps
Old July 15th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Hookers under Hood

The postal service is a little slow but tracking is great and reliable for the price. Fed-ex is more $ but will get to its destination quicker.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Dare I ask, or do I wanna know?
I sent a $100 66 Olds 4V air cleaner to Nove Scotia and I played by what I thought was the rules and got a $50 + duty bill from FedEx after it was delivered. The total shipping bill was as much or a little more than the price of the cleaner. Luckily the buyer after asking him paid the bill. Too much hassle for me,so I'm out of the Canada shipping business. I will send a letter but nothing that requires a duty form.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:43 AM

I sent a $100 66 Olds 4V air cleaner to Nove Scotia and I played by what I thought was the rules and got a $50 + duty bill from FedEx after it was delivered. The total shipping bill was as much or a little more than the price of the cleaner. Luckily the buyer after asking him paid the bill. Too much hassle for me,so I'm out of the Canada shipping business. I will send a letter but nothing that requires a duty form.
Yeah, it can get pricey if it's not done "right", but there are work arounds. When buying new parts from the US, we can pretty much double the initial price before we get it in our hands.

Parts for "antique" cars are supposed to be duty free but you can still be on the hook for brokerage fees at the border unless you're able to receive it on the US side and do your own brokerage/declaration.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:54 AM

Yeah, it can get pricey if it's not done "right", but there are work arounds. When buying new parts from the US, we can pretty much double the initial price before we get it in our hands.

Parts for "antique" cars are supposed to be duty free but you can still be on the hook for brokerage fees at the border unless you're able to receive it on the US side and do your own brokerage/declaration.
I did it right,I put the value @ $100 to insure it and I get a $50+ duty bill? I'm sorry but I choose not to ship to Canada again. If that makes me a bad guy,well I'm a bad guy.
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:57 AM

I did it right,I put the value @ $100 to insure it and I get a $50+ duty bill? I'm sorry but I choose not to ship to Canada again. If that makes me a bad guy,well I'm a bad guy.
I'm not judging here...same reason why I usually don't mail order parts from the US. My first experience with it cost me a couple hundred bucks I wasn't expecting!
Old July 16th, 2014, 12:06 PM

I'm not judging here...same reason why I usually don't mail order parts from the US. My first experience with it cost me a couple hundred bucks I wasn't expecting!
Naw man,I didn't say or take it that way. There's just too many variables when shipping International. I just sent a package for a member here to Australia last week. He wanted to buy some stuff and the vendor(s) wouldn't ship to him. I told him to have it shipped to me and I would send it to him which I did. The USPS said I couldn't put a tracking # on it because once it leaves the USA,it's out of their control. I hope he gets it and I have the receipt to prove shipment. I didn't charge him for it other than the shipping charges,just trying to help a guy out.
Old July 16th, 2014, 05:43 PM

You are not paying a duty bill for Canada. There is no "duty" on a vintage part. There is a GST tax of 7%. Plus usually a sales tax of 5-6% for the province you are shipping to. What you ARE paying for is the "fee" by the brokerage company to basically fill in a form. Yes you get gouged for that. Just ship your part like it a letter and fill in a import declaration. Do it all the time no fee's
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:02 PM

i bought a $ 125 flywheel out of seatle, close, as the crow flies, shipping was $110 and another $42 duty, cod at my door. very expensive flywheel, not to mention losing the first $200 thru paypal.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike77
You are not paying a duty bill for Canada. There is no "duty" on a vintage part. There is a GST tax of 7%. Plus usually a sales tax of 5-6% for the province you are shipping to. What you ARE paying for is the "fee" by the brokerage company to basically fill in a form. Yes you get gouged for that. Just ship your part like it a letter and fill in a import declaration. Do it all the time no fee's
Call it whatever you like but FedEx billed me for another $50 + AFTER the package was delivered. My FedEx account is backed with a credit card and I can't stop them from taking the fees. Like I said,I don't need to sell any part bad enough to ship International again,end of story.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Call it whatever you like but FedEx billed me for another $50 + AFTER the package was delivered. My FedEx account is backed with a credit card and I can't stop them from taking the fees. Like I said,I don't need to sell any part bad enough to ship International again,end of story.
That's okay, we Canadians will drive down and get them....
I got searched at the border on my return from Alabama...Canadian customs could not believe I went down for 3 days to buy Olds parts and of course I did not keep any receipts that proved I was there and for how long...

Last edited by sammy; July 16th, 2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Addition
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Canada post to USPS has worked well for me.
X2...but, a dash I sent stateside arrived broken....I am still trying to get the insurance money from Canada Post....been over a year
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
That's okay, we Canadians will drive down and get them....
I got searched at the border on my return from Alabama...Canadian customs could not believe I went down for 3 days to buy Olds parts and of course I did not keep any receipts that proved I was there and for how long...
I will agree you will travel. As you know I have a lot of Canadian friends and have absolutely nothing against Canadians but shipping there ain't worth the hassle. You price a part and get a shipping price from FedEx and you think that's it and after the delivery,they hit you again. I can't deal with that myself,it's not worth the headache. Come back anytime Ted,it was a pleasure meeting you and the family.
Old July 17th, 2014, 05:45 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Can't beat Canada/USPS for the price as long as your not in a hurry.

I've never had a problem before bringing anything in from the US. I find it very strange that Fedex charged the shipper the brokerage fees. Usually they get that from the receiver on the other end before handing over the package. Its most likely because you have an actual account with them.

If you went in as a normal "Joe Blow" they would have had no other choice but to get it from the receiver.
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:48 PM

Some followup for anyone interested.

I got quotes on a package measuring 35" x 19" x 4" and weighing 3 pounds. Canada post was nearly $50 for shipping to Texas.

Fedex was about $22, and included all brokerage fees. Recipient should get a customs invoice about a week after delivery for any duties.

Package turned out to weigh 6 lbs instead of 3, and there's a small premium on delivery to a residential address...so total was just over $28 by FedEx, still cheaper than the postal service. All in all, relatively painless.

Next time I might try UPS or Purolator for a comparison.