General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Best quality battery

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Best quality battery

I purchased a new battery two years ago and it is now no good. (wasn't top quality to start with!)
I have a 64 olds dynamic 88...what id the best brand and how many cold cranking amps should I have at min.
The problems with my starter has been linked to my bad battery, as soon as someone placed their battery in the car the problems went away. a month later we switched back to mine and the starter problem (sticking starter) came back.
Any thoughts
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM

I always bought the AC Delco batteries for my vehicles and still do. But for the Olds I had hot start issues with my AC Delco battery. Didnt help that it was 6 years old. But I went with an Interstate battery. I went with the most cranking amps which is 1000 and cold cranking amps at 880. No more hot start issues.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Up to a couple years ago, I found them all to be crapshoots. I have had the cheapo 45mo store brands last for 6 years and the top-line Diehard to last two. I have seen vice versa.
I just look at it as paying for how long a warranty I want. I typically go for something with a 2 year free replacement warranty and take my chances. My Ford's finally croaked late last year, a low-line Oreillys brand that lasted - get this - 7 and a half years. I replaced it with Lady's old top-post and it is 5 years old, going strong.

Batteries that have been bought within the past year or two when the price doubled, often die in a year or two. This is my observation of 3 that I know about. One of them is one I got for the '86 and move it to Lady when the side post cables were installed. If i leave the charger off, it will be dead in a week. A couple friends had the same issue.

Only time I would pay top dollar is if I wanted the original style Delcos for show, but they would be lucky to last 5 years.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM

deltran tender long live the r 59
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by navvet
I purchased a new battery two years ago and it is now no good. (wasn't top quality to start with!)
I have a 64 olds dynamic 88...what id the best brand and how many cold cranking amps should I have at min.
The problems with my starter has been linked to my bad battery, as soon as someone placed their battery in the car the problems went away. a month later we switched back to mine and the starter problem (sticking starter) came back.
Any thoughts
One - 2 years is nothing for a battery. Take it back and even if they pro-rate it you should be able to get a replacement for next to nothing. I have
4 year free replacement on mine. Just to make sure though, I bought extra time for 19.00. It's now covered for 10 years free replacement. Went with 1000 CCA which is overkill for my car. I guess I'm gonna have to keep the car another 9 years now.....

4-year free replacement, 10-year total limited warranty
Extended warranty available - Get up to 10 years free replacement coverage (see in-store for details)
Includes 4-year Power Assist roadside boost assistance
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:29 PM

I think all batteries come from the same 3 battery makers.

I have tried more then a few but now I'm only buying Costco batteries
I like their free replacement warranty which is fairly good.

I tried Walmart's MAXX batteries because of the price and warranty but
let me tell you I've killed so many of those it's not even funny after 2 years .

Just be sure to use a well known battery tender to keep the battery from sulfating.
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM

I go with either Autozone or Advance Auto gold 3 year free replacement batteries. Cheaper ordering these online, and picking up at the local store later. Have an Advance Auto gold in my car for $80 bucks. Can't beat Interstates, or even Delco's from the dealer, as very competitive lately. Truth is, most of these are all made by the same company, with different labels on them. Really more about how old the stock is, and most are really stepping up on keeping things fresh. Have friends owning repair shops, and Interstates making deliveries twice a week, all seal wrapped and date coded. When not driving the car much, I put a Ctek 3300 charger/maintainer on it, as really nothing better. Some think Optimas are the cats meow, but don't bother with them myself.
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM

One thing to remember is if you ever run the battery down by leaving the lights on or whatever, the lifespan will be reduced a lot. This kind of cycling kills them. If it is ever over or undercharged, life will be reduced, too. Keeping them topped off at just the right level will help a lot.

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
I tried Walmart's MAXX batteries because of the price and warranty but
let me tell you I've killed so many of those it's not even funny after 2 years .
I have one of those that was pulled from lady and is now in the Ford. 5 years old and going. One thing about these is that you have to check and add water. I added some once long ago.
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
One thing to remember is if you ever run the battery down by leaving the lights on or whatever, the lifespan will be reduced a lot. This kind of cycling kills them. If it is ever over or undercharged, life will be reduced, too. Keeping them topped off at just the right level will help a lot.

I have one of those that was pulled from lady and is now in the Ford. 5 years old and going. One thing about these is that you have to check and add water. I added some once long ago.
Got that right, as once a batteries drained down to total zero, it's a goner.
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Consumer Reports usually gives WallyMart batteries good marks. I've have good luck with them in a variety of cars & boats.
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:34 PM

Optima hands down...cost is a little more but it's worth it. I pulled mine out and put it on a shelf for 7 months waiting to go back in after car was painted and engine was reinstalled...it cranked right up no problem.

I will never use another battery.
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Mak

+1 on the Optima... had my last red-top for over 8 years... sat for over 6 months severals times with no problems.
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Consumer Reports usually gives WallyMart batteries good marks. I've have good luck with them in a variety of cars & boats.
For longevity or initial quality ??
Consumer reports does give different kinds of reports.

I see it ranks Walmart as #3 in 2009 but Kirkland is "the best buy".
http://www.6mt.net/forum/g35-coupe/3...y-ratings.html

Another site but not sure where they compiled their data.
http://www.bestcovery.com/best-car-battery-for-value

Deka is the new(er) 4th battery manufacturer who makes Walmart batteries.
Either way, glad your guys luck was better then ours.
4 different vehicles, we don't use them anymore.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 9th, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No doubt Optima is the best. I had one in a Porsche for ten years, including periods of over a year of storage, and never had a problem with it. Still started the car when I sold it.

If you're not prepared to shell out that kind of dough (and I won't, for a regular car), then Consumer Reports has rated the WalMart batteries highly, and they're not expensive, relatively speaking. Kirkland is good, but you've got to be a member of Costco to buy one, and they're not always nearby (none in Maine, f'rinstance).

As Rob said, never forget that lead-acid batteries like to be fully charged at all times (the opposite of NiCd's, NiMH's, and Li-ions, which like to be periodically drained fully and then recharged ). They will last longest in daily drivers where they are recharged every day, and shortest if they sit. A "battery tender" is a must on any car you don't drive much, unless you've got an elephant's memory, and can put a trickle charger on them once a week or so. The two things that reduce a lead-acid battery's life are depth of discharge and time at depth of discharge, so the faster you can charge them back up after they discharge, the better off you'll be - if you're having problems starting and kill the battery, don't say, "I'll recharge it when I go out there tomorrow" - do it NOW and it will save your battery.

- Eric
Old February 9th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Oldsdruid

Any good name-brand battery should work fine in your car. Get the highest CCA you can. Put it on the charger before you put it in the car- you do not know how long it has sat on the shelf. If the car is not driven at least weekly, get a Battery Tender or similar float charger for it.

Your problem with that 64 is finding a battery that will fit properly, and no matter what the battery chart says about a Group 24 being the direct replacement, IT IS NOT. Likewise for a 65-69 FSC- the 24 IS NOT THE RIGHT BATTERY. Those take a 27.

A Group 60K is what it came with; unfortunately now only available as a high-dollar reproduction battery. A Group 29NF (50s-60s Ford style) is usually readily available and is the closest thing you'll find to proper fit, though a Group 51 (Honda style) will fit in the battery tray OK, just smaller than the 60 or 29.

Deka is not a new name in batteries. They've been around forever (here, at least) and make a good quality product as does Exide.

I do not like Johnson Controls batteries. A catastrophic multi-million dollar failure at my job may influence that. When the AC power failed and the emergency equipment came on, those four month old latest-and-greatest JC gel batteries **** the bed and I had to watch a hot turbine-generator coast to standstill with no oil pressure to its babbitt bearings.

Here's something to help you dimension-wise. http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html
Old February 9th, 2012, 04:41 AM

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/ I put one in my 66 lemans looks great .

I have two of these deltrans I like them I can see its on and still have the cover on the car . I use this on my car , mower and bobcat.
Old February 9th, 2012, 04:43 AM

I have had good luck with Delco, some last 8 years.. The right size Delco batteries can sometimes be ordered to fit your car, but as Glen says it may not be available, I'm not an authority. I did order the right one/size for a couple of my cars, including the blue 66. They don't cost much more than Autozone batteries where I live. And IMO, no battery looks better in your GM car than a Delco, even though it is not as the original style. Those yellow, red, blue batteries, or logos with titanium or whatever just don't look as nice as seeing the Delco logo in your GM car, again just my opinion. I have an Optima red top in/on my car trailer to run the jack and winch and break away switch, it is great, I like it, but not in my old car.
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:17 AM

i just replaced the motorcraft batteries in my '97 powerstroke that were installed in '03. i bought a pair of interstate megatrons.
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
A "battery tender" is a must on any car you don't drive much, unless you've got an elephant's memory, and can put a trickle charger on them once a week or so.
A small cheap 1-2A charger on a timer works great. Run it 3-4 hours a day (or 24 hours a week); been doing this for years. Don't need an expensive microprocessor controlled tender...

Originally Posted by 66luvr
And IMO, no battery looks better in your GM car than a Delco, even though it is not as the original style.
I very much agree. I may spring for one for Lady later on. Only thing better is the repros, but too costly for a driver.
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Lansing built

battery

I have very good luck with Delcos I have the original in my Alero still going great factory build date on car is 11-10-03, Also had top of the line luck from Autozone Gold, installed in my 70 Supreme 875 cca receipt date 4-20-2000 still cranking the 350 with no problems. Interstate seems to be the top pick around the AG industry, equipment tends to sit most of the year before use.

Regards, Pat
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM

I've bought my last Optima. They are better than conventional batteries, but I LOVE the "AGM" type battery in my Falcon. I've had it over 3 years now.

My AGM is form PowerMaster, and cost less than $180. It is rated at just 575CCA, but it has 2000+ "impulse" amps. What does that actually mean??? My motor is 427 cubic inches, compression ratio is about 10.4:1, and it puts 492hp to the wheels (car is over 3900lbs, and has trap speeds typically around 121mph) - the battery has NEVER had any problem starting the car. After 5 hours on the highway at 80+mph in 100+ degree outside temps, and heat soaking for 15 minutes during a fuel stop, it STILL cranked over just as easy as it does any other time.

AGM are about 20 pounds lighter than an Optima, and MUCH smaller.

Lee
Old February 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM

My mechanic has been pushing me to buy an Interstate with high CCA. But I am leaning towards the Optima. Will a 880-1000 CCA fit in my 64 Olds or will it be to big no matter the brand?