General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

best manual

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM

best manual

I have just aquired a 1970 cutlass convertable from california. I was wondering what is the best manual to buy for tearing down, rebuilding and servicing the car?
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM

factory assembly manual. you can get them at year one or fusick. this would be best for a car tear down. for servicing the factory manual is nice. they make them reproduction now at the same two places.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM

The Chassis Service Manual is the one I use the most. You can purchase reprints or watch ebay and find one of the year you have. John
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

There are three manuals. The Chassis Service Manual is the most important one to get. It covers all the mechanical and electrical systems, including engine, trans, brakes, suspension, and wiring. The Fisher Body Manual covers the body parts including glass, doors, convertible top, and interior. The assembly manual is probably the least useful unless you plan to do a complete, absolutely correct restoration.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
Captain of my ship

dido

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There are three manuals. The Chassis Service Manual is the most important one to get. It covers all the mechanical and electrical systems, including engine, trans, brakes, suspension, and wiring. The Fisher Body Manual covers the body parts including glass, doors, convertible top, and interior. The assembly manual is probably the least useful unless you plan to do a complete, absolutely correct restoration.
X2 on the chassis service manual and the fisher body manual. The guy from whom I purchased my car had both for the 1969 98 as well as 88 and toronado. This service manual has made it possible for me to tear dowm my motor , which is not too hard , but it makes it possible to put it back together properly with all the torque specs for bolts . The fisher body manual will help if you want to remove body panels, door panels , fix wiring for power seats etc. You can find some originals on ebay , or buy the reproductions as stated before. either way you can't go wrong having them and they should be your first investment in your car.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:25 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
X3 That covers the basics. Course once I started getting various manuals, I couldn't stop, and now they number in the hundreds.
Here's most, but not all of just the shop manuals!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
09.24.06 007.jpg (71.2 KB, 12 views)
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Captain of my ship

Talking Holy crap

Those look like originals so I assume you got a lot of them via the internet? Do you have all the cars to go with the manuals
Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Those look like originals so I assume you got a lot of them via the internet? Do you have all the cars to go with the manuals
Got them from all over, I'd say the majority came from an ex dealer in IL. I have every year from '65 through the '90s (with 2+ of some years), so no, I don't have a car for all of them by far!! "Just" 5 cars.....
http://wmachines.shubes.net/
Old April 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by wmachine
X3 That covers the basics. Course once I started getting various manuals, I couldn't stop, and now they number in the hundreds.
Here's most, but not all of just the shop manuals!

I'm tearing the front end off my 70 442 and replace t he heater core, under hood wiring harnesses, replace gaskets and seals on the engine ...
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Captain of my ship

Olds

Originally Posted by wmachine
Got them from all over, I'd say the majority came from an ex dealer in IL. I have every year from '65 through the '90s (with 2+ of some years), so no, I don't have a car for all of them by far!! "Just" 5 cars.....
http://wmachines.shubes.net/
Pretty cool site you got. I have to say that I love the 67 - 442. That is one sweet looking car and I am sure it is as fast as it looks. This is my first Olds and my second big block , my first being a 1972 Pontiac grand Prix with a 454. The great thing about that car was you could smoke the tires until they blew if you wanted. I can remember sitting at a red light with cars beside me and behind me , so I pulled a brake burn until the light turned green. When it did ,and it was hard to see, I let go of the brake and when I looked back with my 3 buddies in the car to see the smoke all the cars were still sitting at the light. They were having trouble seeing I guess