General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Behold the ECTOldsmobile-1!

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Behold the ECTOldsmobile-1!

Boy, give a group of Canadians a Custom Cruiser, a few cases of beer and a love for Bill Murray movies and handicrafts and this is what you get:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item19cacf7c2a

[I'd include the images here, too, but I don't know how to grab them from eBay. If you do, PLEASE let me know the secret. It'd save me a TON of time at work...]

With five days to go on the auction the price is under US$1,600 despite 17 bidders. That's less than the Custom Cruiser is worth pre-"Ghostbusterization", so either bidders are making a statement about originality or they don't know what they'd do with it for the 364 days of the year that aren't Oct. 31.

SO, does this gear hurt or help the value? I can understand "clones" and "replicas", but this is neither from 1959 nor is it a Cadillac. [Then again, a quick check of Google Images reveals cars even LESS appropriate, including a Chevy Caprice wagon, a Scion xB and a Subaru Outback to name just a few:

I even found another Oldsmobile-based ECTO-1--again, from Canada!--only in this case it seems to have been based on a hearse conversion rather than a station wagon (and only BARELY passes as an ECTO-1 "tribute"):

Now, seeing as how you can't really use it as a "daily driver" with all that *stuff* all over it and--as much as I love mine--it's not really the sort of collector's dream vehicle you'd keep sheltered in your indoor car collection, so what can you really DO with it?

I'm betting that it won't even be bid high enough to hit the seller's reserve as its rather inauthentic for a "clone" and--based on the dipsticks in the "group" photos--someone piled a LOT of time and money into its creation.

Where do you think the highest bid will fall? Around three grand? Or five? More? (Less?)...
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM
"me somebody" site member

Eh.

I do have soft spot for professional cars, but despite being an Olds guy, if I had to have ONLY one:

Useta be seen in central NJ nearly 20 years back....was run at E-town on occasion.
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM

IDK I kinda like the CC one on ebay.

What was the orginal? It was a 1959 Caddie, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ecto1.jpg (32.3 KB, 10 views)
ecto1-2.jpg (48.7 KB, 11 views)
Ecto1a.jpg (37.6 KB, 10 views)
Etco1.jpg (31.8 KB, 8 views)
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Did any see the ECTO1 Custom Cruiser clamshell wagon in the latest edition of JWO? That was about as close to the Caddy as one could get.

To keep any representation to the movie car, a LARGE wagon had to be used. Those mini wagons just don't cut the slime...
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM
delete

I'll be honest, I prefer the Caprice. The lines mach up better to the original.