General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Barrett -Jackson auction

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Barrett -Jackson auction

The Palm Beach auction is ongoing as I type, and I have a couple of rambling comments. First are the comments the Speed Channel staff made about a very nice 1963 Olds Starfire that sold for about $15,000. Commentator Matt Stone of Motor Trend magazine said that the car wasn't even close to being a collector car . I disagree. The car had only about 69,000 miles, and looked to be very nice indeed. Certainly there are enough Olds fans interested in such a car to justify calling it a collector car. The two members of the stage staff were clueless in describing the car , and I was disappointed in their lack of knowledge. Anyone who drove the early 60s Starfires when they were new knows what very nice automobiles they were.
( I am, of course, biased, since I own a '62 Starfire.)
My other thought concerns the fact that cars at the auction that are termed
" re-creations" usually sell for far less money than a " restored" car. A recreation would be a vehicle that did not have matching numbers for the drivetrain and other major components. However, when I consider the full restorations done on many of the cars, and the fact that they have full interiors that are aftermarket, body parts that are aftermarket, and many internal mechanicals that are aftermarket, they are no more original than the re-creations. I suppose that's what makes an original " survivor" car so special. What you have is all original , and not an attempt to duplicate an original.

Last edited by PetChemMan; April 11th, 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM

i would love to have a starfire. particularly the 62. if it is not a collector car then i want the first non collector car collection
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:29 PM

All those guys want to talk about are chevys, mustanges, Hemi-anything, and british iron. Your lucky if they give any airtime to cars most of us want to see. I have been to their auctions. Lots of great cars you will never see on TV.
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:53 PM

I was in Phoenix in January at BJ. The whole thing seemed like a circus. Finding a nice car...I mean a real nice car was not easy. If those guys told you the real condition of most of the cars up for auction nobody would watch the show. I'm not so sure they know the difference. Most cars looked to be slammed together fast, and the seller looking for some big money.
There are exceptions but 90% were average cars. Starfires like Toro's and Riveras, etc will never be crowd favorites but I enjoy seeing those non mainstream cars the best.
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Originally Posted by MN71W30
I enjoy seeing those non mainstream cars the best.
Which is why I love Oldsmobiles in general. Nobody has them and everyone looks and guesses at what it is.
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:46 AM

I'll admit I always watch these auctions when they're on Speed and it seems like the hosts have become more knowledgeable about the cars.
My complaint is they always take a break when an Olds or Buick hits the block. Granted Vettes and Mustangs might have bigger a following, but a Starfire or Riveria give the coverage variety. Sort of like a buffet that only serves the same 3 or 4 items would get boring real fast. Anyone agree?
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Very few times you will a nice Olds at B-J.
My red Toronado was sold at B-J , back in the Spring of 2005. Please read the link
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:33 AM

I watched last nite to see the 70 442 w-30 conv. 4-spd. sell for around 160k. I think that Olds was well represented with such a beautiful automobile. I think in the coming years Oldsmobiles will become even more popular and desirable at auctions like this. That 442 and others like it at BJ really stood out in my mind but I might be a little bias
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Registered

That Starfire was really nice, good deal IMO if it's nice as it looks. The prices were more realistic this year, good for buyers. A goat just like mine sold for 63K, I'll let mine go for 30K right now.
Those guys know some stuff, I never knew you could get A 4-4-2 four door when you ordered the police package their first year, anybody ever seen one?
Old April 13th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
I'll admit I always watch these auctions when they're on Speed and it seems like the hosts have become more knowledgeable about the cars.
My complaint is they always take a break when an Olds or Buick hits the block. Granted Vettes and Mustangs might have bigger a following, but a Starfire or Riveria give the coverage variety. Sort of like a buffet that only serves the same 3 or 4 items would get boring real fast. Anyone agree?
I do. And I'd like to see it that way with Olds kept in the background. You can see my other comments on this:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post75179