General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Back glass installation problem

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Back glass installation problem

We've now made four attempts to install the back glass in our 54 88 2 dr. After making several corrections to the window opening and using a different brand of gasket, it seems like the glass is too small.

Does anyone have a 54-56 sedan back glass laying around? What is the height of the glass measured from top to bottom at the center of the glass? I'm curious to see if this could be the problem.

What is the height of the glass for a hardtop? I know they're different, but how much different? Could someone have mistakenly installed a hardtop glass in our sedan? Is that even possible?
Old September 16th, 2012, 08:15 AM

Rubber channel

I don't know if I've ever stumped this group before!

I've found there are apparently only two manufacturers of the rear window channel, gasket, seal, or whatever you choose to call it. One doesn't fit and the other one really doesn't fit. Every installation I have seen on similar models (54-56 Olds or Buick) are all poorly done. Suffice it to say, a couple of them were pretty good considering the rubber they had to work with, but none looked like a factory installation.

Other than Steele or Metro (SuperSoft), does anyone know of another manufacturer? It seems everyone sells one of these two brands. I haven't been able to find anything else. Any ideas?