General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Auto Transport

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Goldiewilson4mayor

Auto Transport

I need to get my newly purchased 67 from Chicago to Saint Louis anyone have a transporter that they had good luck with? Car runs if carb is primed
Old December 13th, 2019, 06:49 PM
Phantom Phixer

I can tell you one NOT to book with .
Took me months to get my car from NM to FL .
https://www.transportreviews.com/Com...e-Auto-Movers/
Old December 13th, 2019, 08:41 PM

transport

A lot of people with very high end cars used Reliable at the MCACN show. There is also Mecum. Alot of the transport Companys are just Booking agents and you do not know if the driver coming to get your car is fly by night or not you are taking a big chance. Imade that misstake when I bought my 2017 corvette from a dealership in Chicago. He pulled up with a 40 foot Fifth Wheel with no side doors. So how did he get in the car? HE CLIMBED IN THROUGH THE WINDOW STEPPED ON THE SEAT WITH HIS DIRTY SHOES TO DRIVE IT OUT OF THE TRAILER!!!!!! this was in January need I say more. Stick with the big names Pay a little more but you will know what your getting.
Old December 13th, 2019, 09:28 PM

I’ve had friends use Reliable with great satisfaction. I used Horseless Carriage to bring our coupe from MD to TX enclosed without issue and respectful. Realize that even the best carriers are likely not going to make it happen in a week. If that is your timeline, then you need to explore options to retrieve it yourself.
Old December 13th, 2019, 10:04 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

It needs to run as they need to shuffle it around in the trailer as they load and unload.
Old December 14th, 2019, 02:52 AM

After searching for over 40 years and finding my grandfather’s 1930 ****** Overland Whippet Deluxe Sedan, which he bought new in Ludington, MI, I used Intercity. I looked at Reliable, but they are the most expensive by far. All other main carriers are about the same. Intercity though is family owned and have all their own trucks - they are not brokers. Was worth the extra $$ to have my car inside enclosed trailer. Intercity drivers take great care and are very communicative every step of the journey. Cannot say enough positive about them. May take some time - a couple weeks - to set pick up date, depending on car auction traffic, but they will easily advise you on what they can and cannot do. As stated, car to transport usually must run - inquire with carrier. Also, be very cautious about who you choose - as said, most are brokers, who can be ok, but need specific insight on who to request, as can be a nightmare - used one once and never again (on delivery, they left the car out in the open with the keys in it and called no one!). Best to spend the extra $$ and get the car delivered without any worries, as many of the brokers cause you spend much extra time trying to track them down and/or to get clarifications/ issues addressed.
Old December 14th, 2019, 06:58 AM

I had my car shipped across country using Passport a few years ago. It worked out very well. One of their attributes is your car stays on the same carrier it was loaded on to. No on and off trucks at regional hubs. They gave me a site were I could track the truck through the entire journey--perhaps they all do that? It took a few days longer than anticipated but that was OK for my situation. The driver was great. They are relatively small and after the completion the president called to ask if I was satisfied. This was a few years ago and things change--hopefully today they still provide that same level of service.
Old December 16th, 2019, 09:02 PM

I'm in the Chicago suburbs and used Montway Transportation. Yes, they're a broker but prices were reasonable and the drivers were professional with decent rigs. Also, open transport is cheaper.
Old December 17th, 2019, 08:23 AM

That was who I used and they sent me the FOOL that moved my car. I'm not saying that all the independent movers are like the one I ended up with that book through booking agents. You have no accountability, the booking agent gets their money and they are gone!!! and you deal with the mover. I'm happy you had a good experience. With the Name brand Movers like intercity and the rest you have someone you can go to if you are not happy with the service you received. I learned my lesson!!! I'll bet you Dollars to Donuts that I'm not the only one that had a problem. Whats great about the Forum is you can ask for advice and get different opinions and then they can make their own decisions.