General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Aussie rebuild

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 12:45 AM

Aussie rebuild

I'm wanting to increase performance in my 69 442 400ci th400, 3.42 rearend, 9.5 :1 compression, 2.5 inch exhaust with cross over and 15" rims with 27" tyres, stock engine. NO, im not going for a 455, so dont even suggest it After reading a few threads, many people say that its important to find an engine builder that has Olds experience. Well here in AUS there aint any I have contacted a couple and they both said that its only an engine and only difference is different bore / stroke. Dumb huh. What should i be telling these people to pay attention to when they rebuild the engine? One of the engine re builders (FATAZ) does Trans am engines and races them here. I'm thinking he must know whats what. Looking at a package combo
Stock rebuilt quadrajet
New cam JM20 -22 or JM 22 - 25 ??? Mondello
Roller lifters RT-680 Mechanical Roller Lifters Mondello
Roller rockers HS S50026A
SK-245-D springs Mondello
Intake to suit hot air choke ????????
New timing chain ???????
VT-581 Valley Tray mondello
Stock exhaust manifold or headers?????????
Edelbrock performer heads. Ported or unported????????????
Anything else or am i barking up the wrong tree?????????????
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:22 AM

First - stay away from Mondello, since Joe sold it, they've turned into a profit only store, and are selling garbage, imported, chinesium parts!!
Punch Mondello into the search box, and read some of the comments!!
There are some excellent books/articles about building an Olds motor. Get one and give it to the builder - everyone likes to learn!
There are many guys on here that can recommend a cam and dependable valve train advise, and I'm sure they'll chime in!
I had the same combo on my '69 - how'd you get to 9.5 compression?
Mine was 10.25 from the factory!
Edelbrock heads must be blueprinted to your combo, to get the best power.
Block should be zero decked also, as the factory left the pistons as much as.020 in the hole!
The books will give you some better advise.
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the reply firstly Damn, what a shame about Mondello, i definitively dont want those parts coming from some where, where they make cheap parts. Give me USA or Aussie made parts any day. Any suggestions on the best book to buy for the info on engine rebuilding? I have the Bill Trevato (How to build MAX v- PERFORMANCE NOLDSMOBILE V-8s) book, but maybe this is not really the right one? The 9.5 comp is due to the old owners increasing the head gasket to lower comp. They said it was due to the fuel that they were using. Its actually just a guess. Sorry I should have done a compression test . I use 98 Ron petrol and throw in a bottle of octane boost . I do this as i used to occasionally get some pinging. I wish a few other guys would give me their 10 cents worth but as of yet its just you and me But i am very grateful that you chimed in. Thanks

Last edited by ralsy; May 14th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM

The only place I can honestly recommend is probably the furthest away from you, in Wisc.
Check out Rocket Racing at www.rocketracingperformance.com and look over his catalog.
You could also call John @ 262-706-3277 - he'll put you on the right track!
He's got his own heads and intake that're supposed to put edelbrocks to shame!
If that's a numbers matching motor, you might want to set it aside, and get something complete, dyno tested, and ready to bolt-in!