General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

auctions

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2012, 08:12 PM

auctions

I am looking for a 56 olds s88 and thought about going to a mecum or kruse auction.What do you think of 3 or 4 people pushing cars on the trunks instead of driving them out? Don't they get dented? When i worked at a gm dealer in the 70's,we pushed in a 70 skylark with no carb and someone pushed in the lid and the manager had to call the owner who came down to see the damage,,,replaced it with a new lid.i am surprised people are allowed to push on those old cars.Anyone know of a 56 s88 good enough to drive as is? thanks
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM

That may happen but considering how many times i see cars being pushed im sure they are careful. Ive been to a few auctions and am always amazed at the stupid high prices that some cars go for but also realize that many of the cars go for half what it would take to fix another car like that
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:50 PM

I have a friend who bought a '65 Mustang convertible from a Mecum auction. It was their Kissimmee, Florida auction earlier this year, and he wasn't present at the time. His brother, who lives in the area (my friend lives in Ohio), attended and did the bidding for him. My friend paid about $16,000 for the car, had it transported back to Ohio with no problem, and loves every bit of it.

Auctions like these are certainly one way to go, and I wouldn't worry at all about the cars being pushed. I'm sure there's a reason for this (keep exhaust fumes from building up?), and I'm sure that these auction houses will not dent a car someone just paid $100,000 for. They wouldn't be in business long if they did.

If there's a car that you like, decide what you think it's worth, bid accordingly, and don't get carried away.
Old July 5th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Administrator

I prefer the Mecum auction over Kruze.