General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

argon gas flow meter question

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2016, 08:17 AM

argon gas flow meter question

Anybody know if a flow meter for Nitrogen flows the same as Argon meter? The one with the ball that floats inside of the tube.
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:22 AM

I dont think so they have different specific gravity. So they would not read correctly.
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:48 AM

Nitrogen has an atomic mass of 14.01 and Argon has a mass of 39.95. Does this mean the meter would read approximately 2.3 times more than if flowing Argon? The nitrogen being less weight than Argon.
Old March 28th, 2016, 09:31 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

NO as mentioned each is calibrated differently for each type of gas. You need an argon controller for argon. The read is not linear depending on what type of controller you have. Are you using a Brooks, Parker, Teledyne or Omega mass flow controller?? If so refer to they're literature or tech line for more specific help.
EDIT:
Scratch what I just said....Just re-read your thread. Your using a simple flow regulator. It sounds like its for Mig/Tig welding? It should work with C25 and straight argon. Your not measuring a mass just a volume of flow. It should work. Best to contact the manufacturer of the regulator or welder for more specific info as a general answer may not apply? Your local welding supply will have the right answers as well.

Last edited by droldsmorland; March 28th, 2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old March 28th, 2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
NO as mentioned each is calibrated differently for each type of gas. You need an argon controller for argon. The read is not linear depending on what type of controller you have. Are you using a Brooks, Parker, Teledyne or Omega mass flow controller?? If so refer to they're literature or tech line for more specific help.
EDIT:
Scratch what I just said....Just re-read your thread. Your using a simple flow regulator. It sounds like its for Mig/Tig welding? It should work with C25 and straight argon. Your not measuring a mass just a volume of flow. It should work. Best to contact the manufacturer of the regulator or welder for more specific info as a general answer may not apply? Your local welding supply will have the right answers as well.
Yes, I will use it for C25 for TIG and MIG also. Just wanted to know if the molecular size would be different enough to make a difference. I'll hook it up and if my tungsten turns blue, i don't have enough flow.
Old March 29th, 2016, 09:58 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Within reason flow is flow. Yes always go with a visual test run when changing gasses. Make sure the thoriaded tungsten is nice and sharp. Dont use a dirty grinding wheel to sharpen it. It will impregnates contaminates into the rod causing weld problems. Buy a dedicated rod sharpener or use a fresh wheel. You should be OK with the stock flow meter with most gas mixes. Do inquire at Miller or Lincoln just for safety as I dont know all.
Old March 29th, 2016, 01:07 PM

Look here.
Old March 29th, 2016, 07:25 PM

Another factor is, I'm using this flow meter on C25 mix so I will just have to experiment. I'm sure 25% C02 will make a difference too.
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:50 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

It shouldn't be a prob, I do the gas juggle all the time. Just dial it in until your makin bacon. The best tool Ive purchased in a while is the Miller 211. Auto-Set the dam thing and go, takes most of the guess work out of the equation. Runs a tight bead even on 120VAC.
Old March 30th, 2016, 06:12 AM

I've got a Syncrowave 250. Had it for years doing aluminum, just now needing to weld mild steel and stainless.
Old March 30th, 2016, 03:06 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

SS is a pleasure I dont have the knack for aluminum.