General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Argggg!

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Argggg!

dropped off my trans the other day at a reputable trans shop to have it gone thru so i have no problems after i drop motor/trans onto frame. i talked with the manager/owner and told him go thru it and replace anything that looks questionable but dont paint it or bust it. i made it clear that it was for my frame off numbers matching restoration and not to switch it out or lose it. well i went to pick it up today and while i was paying the bill they loaded into my truck for me............ when i went back to my truck and took a peek at it i almost fell over. those stupid $hitbirds spray bombed it with what appears to be krylon chrome rattle can and i mean sprayed everything. i hope i can save my OG tag that WAS in nice shape though a little faded. sheesh some people.
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:37 PM

It Kind Of Hurts!

Charlie: Damn it all anyway! I hate when that happens.
The only thing you can do is take a deep breath and thank god that the guys at the, "reputable trans shop" didn't screw things up worse.
The old saying rings true... If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.
I'm sure, even though it was a trusted place of business, you wanted to be there watching and offering your advise, while they worked on your tranny. Too many other things to do, etc., etc.
At least the paint can be taken off with not too much trouble. The case will sure look a lot cleaner.

As for my '67 Delta 88 Custom... It's one step forward, two steps back.

When my car was at the tranny shop, I was hoping that they would have intuitively known that I wanted them to paint the rusty tranny oil pan. For some reason, they didn't pick up my thoughts.

Good luck with the rest of your restoration.

Last edited by Jaybird; April 12th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:52 PM

thanks for the words of encouragement jaybird! well i put the trans on a engine stand and with about two cans worth of carb clean and some rags and a brush it looks great except the trans tag lost all its ink{ no i did not spray carb clean on it first}. need to replace pan bolts and see if i can locate a new tag through GM . does anyone repop these? after some carb clean fumes and some pain pills for my back i am feeling much better about it lol. i posted some new pics on my resto in the major builds pic and i have a few more to post up. car is waiting for me to get the engine/tranny back in so we can drop body and start spraying paint.

charlie,,,
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Bummer, dude... Glad you got most the paint off though. Hope they did good on the rebuild though!
At least be glad you got your original unit back. I have heard of some being secretly exchanged. The owners get them home and realized the numbers cast in them were different.
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Bummer, dude... Glad you got most the paint off though. Hope they did good on the rebuild though!
At least be glad you got your original unit back. I have heard of some being secretly exchanged. The owners get them home and realized the numbers cast in them were different.
i have used them in the past with no problems, go figure. around here the ole switcharoo is something i always watch very closely!
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jeez, after laid it out clear as day, they still did that? Must not have ears that work. I'd ask them to foot the clean up cost of that rattle can paint job. I'll remember that if I have mine done. Make sure it says "Do not paint or alter exterior of trans - customer request" I sure hope your rebuild is worth it.
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:10 PM

Go back and fire bomb the place. When mine was rebuilt last... they painted it all black. Joy.
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:41 AM

While a bit late now, I've always learned to have special requests written on the service ticket, in large bold letters. This way it's on them, if they screwed up. Also, if wanting to save any tags, I always mask them myself with really thick tape myself, to protect not only from paint, but shop scrapes too. Good idea, making note of the tag numbers before doing this.
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:00 AM

The tag is repopped, however you will have to use a stamp set to add your old tag's data. I would keep the original..
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:57 AM
1974 DELTA 88

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
This is true. Maybe because you mentioned you needed your original trans back.

It is very common for trans shops to swap yours out with a previously rebuilt trans of the same model they have on the shelf. Then yours gets rebuilt and goes in it's place for the next guy with the same model.