General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone know....

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2015, 06:21 PM

Anyone know....

I got my 455 (396021 F) delivered to my garage today for the same price that I agreed to pick it up 4 hrs away, that really made my day!!!! What a heavy pig of a motor!!! Mine is complete with everything carb to pan including all accessories like AC. Anyway, as I sit here with my back aching, I was wondering about my motor. It appears original and complete and is sporting "G" heads which tells me it's a '71 motor. So my next curiosity is wondering what it came out of. After some reading I'm THINKING it came out of a Toronado. It's wearing blue paint and I THINK the oil pan is looking quite large. (Not sure if there's numbers to verify how many quarts it is but appears to be a bit deeper than I'd expect.
This all being said, I'm going to ASSUME it's a '71 455 from a Toronado with the "G" heads (can't read the little area under #1 plug because it's covered by a bracket.)
Anyway, I'm wondering what the STOCK HP rating is. I've seen all sorts of numbers online. Quite a range... Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?
Old May 1st, 2015, 06:32 PM

Here's a thread with oil pan pictures in it. Scroll down to the second series of three oil pan pictures and the one on the left is from a Toronado. Also, if you have the exhaust manifolds on it the Toro goes back and somewhat up/out. Most manifolds go downward. They also don't have the crossover on the passengerside manifold. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-oil-pans.html
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:31 AM

Put it this way, I've read anywhere from like 230-360 hp. When I looked up HP ratings from a Toronado of that year it says 350hp. (Remember, I'm assuming that it's a Toranado motor at this point)

Maybe to help narrow down the motor, on the DS, the exhaust comes out of the manifold and runs under the motor and goes into the PS manifold where it would come out as a single exhaust. Does that help narrow it down at all? I'll take a look at the pan a little later today. Boz