General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone Going to Woodward ave cruise in?

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
1 of the few 88's in Cinc

Anyone Going to Woodward ave cruise in?

I read in my Hagerty mag that there is a yearly cruise-in along Woodward ave in Mich held on the third Saturday in August. The street runs from downtown metro Detroit out to Pontiac. Its about 16 total miles. It is supposed to be a one day event but may last a few days. I have never been there but was thinking about a road trip from my Cincinnati home with my 66 delta 88 convertible. Should take about 4.5 hrs and be just under 300 miles.

The article mentioned grid lock because of the number of cars that may be on the street and with it being august there is a concern regarding overheating.
And parking can be an issue and an expense I suppose.

Anyway, Has anyone ever been to this event?
Is anyone else thinking of going?

Before leaving, I am going to do the usual like oil change, new thermostat and coolant and check brakes, belts etc. but wanted to know if there was any advice from anyone who has been there before.

Thanks and Regards
Joe
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:34 AM

Bring chairs and umbrellas and find a parking space near Thirteen Mile Road or there abouts....two million people and about ten thousand cars...from Eleven Mile Road to Pontiac and return was about 3/4 tank of gas...you need two or three sets of eyes to see 'almost' everything...the stores along the street also have a lot of sales going on...cops all over the place-do not smoke your tires! Each mile has a cop out-post and there are any immagineable vehicles in service, including APC's have fun on your run...
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Bring chairs and umbrellas and find a parking space near Thirteen Mile Road or there abouts....two million people and about ten thousand cars...from Eleven Mile Road to Pontiac and return was about 3/4 tank of gas...you need two or three sets of eyes to see 'almost' everything...the stores along the street also have a lot of sales going on...cops all over the place-do not smoke your tires! Each mile has a cop out-post and there are any immagineable vehicles in service, including APC's have fun on your run...
When is this happening this year??
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:31 AM
1 of the few 88's in Cinc

Chequenman...The date for the woodward ave cruise-in is August 20th. But from what I have read it may be a 3 to 5 day event starting Friday the 19. The web site for the event is http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/
I plan to drive up from Cincinnati.

CincyDelta
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:43 AM

it has gotten to the point that the nights leading up to the event are thought of as better than the Saturday event itself. Lots of cruising along that steet the nights before. But if you can find a group who parks their cars in one of the lots you can park there, and walk the strip on Saturday while you watch the cars go by.

On Saturday it s crazy, estimates range at over 1mm people and 40,000 cars so the cruising is bumper to bumper slow. I've done it a few years and the THursday and Friday nights are the most one, a casual cruise in. The second time I went I left after a few hours on Saturday it was just too crowded on the road and the sidewalk.

If its your first time - stay for Saturday - there is nothing like it in the world.
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Someone hasnt heard of the Dreamcruise by now?

Anyway, Ive been to them all. Even the first when you could park where you wanted and could do burnouts all night long. Saw two pro mods go off from 13 mile at the first cruise.

The cruise scene has already started and will get bigger each weekend up until the official date. Two weeks out is usually packed with cars. The week of is a disaster, gridlocked traffic and people everywhere. Yes, the week before is now just like cruise Saturday.

This weekend is the Telegraph Cruise, dreamcruise for the westsiders. After that its officially Woodward every night around here.

Parking is only a pain if you want the 13 mile area (Royal Oak). South and especially north, its not hard to find a free spot. Downtown Pontiac also has a big cruise parking lot. Up there the cops dont do anything about burnouts. It gets pretty crazy in Pontiac.

Last edited by TK-65; July 20th, 2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:31 AM

It's always crazy in Pontiac
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Someone hasnt heard of the Dreamcruise by now?

Anyway, Ive been to them all. Even the first when you could park where you wanted and could do burnouts all night long. Saw two pro mods go off from 13 mile at the first cruise.

The cruise scene has already started and will get bigger each weekend up until the official date. Two weeks out is usually packed with cars. The week of is a disaster, gridlocked traffic and people everywhere. Yes, the week before is now just like cruise Saturday.

This weekend is the Telegraph Cruise, dreamcruise for the westsiders. After that its officially Woodward every night around here.

Parking is only a pain if you want the 13 mile area (Royal Oak). South and especially north, its not hard to find a free spot. Downtown Pontiac also has a big cruise parking lot. Up there the cops dont do anything about burnouts. It gets pretty crazy in Pontiac.
TK -- I'm a comin' this year!! ( without lettering on car!) LOL. Hope to meet up with ya!!
TV
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I live in Rochester Michigan about 10 miles from downtown Royal Oak and 3 miles North of Pontiac.There is so much going on that week.Flint has a Return to The Bricks.Which is similar to the Dream Cruise and from what have heard "just as nice"..If anyone needs info on SAFE and affordable lodging send me a PM.
Just to let you know Yellowstatue...10,000 cars Canadian ..equals 40,000 US.
Just joking.they say it is over 50,000 cars each year.and @1.5 million people.
Saturday thru Wednesday are the easist and best days to participate..
After that it turns into a parking lot.
I am taking the whole week of and have some great connections here .
Give me a call .I would like to meet up with you.
Ron Roth
586-556-1234
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM

Back to the Bricks stopped letting cars in two years ago at 5am. Its an option but youll need to get there a day before to get a spot.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
TK -- I'm a comin' this year!! ( without lettering on car!) LOL. Hope to meet up with ya!!
TV

If you need anything Tweed, let me know. I know all the spots and where to be and not to be.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM

I almost forgot, if anyone wants to see the crowds this thing draws.
Google map/street view Woodward Ave from 10 mile up. You can go north and south to see the crowds.

Last edited by TK-65; July 20th, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Thanks --- comin with a friend that has a really sharp 56 T-Bird -- We go cruisin around here together.
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:12 AM

Can't find a 2013 thread so I'll resurrect this one. I plan on planting my behind on the corner of Woodward and Huron up in Pontiac with the Michigan Widetrackers in front of the Oakland press parking lot again this year. Sucking fumes, killing braincells and feeling the thunder.
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Professur
Can't find a 2013 thread so I'll resurrect this one.
Nothing stops you from creating a new thread on your own, and that would probably be better than posting in a two-year-old one.