General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Another thing I didn't know!

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Another thing I didn't know!

Hey everybody,

Yesterday I locked my keys in the trunk of my car. It is a 67 Olds 442 convertible. I did not have a hidden key on the car, nor did I have an extra set, so needless to say I called AAA and they sent out a locksmith, who told me that the glovebox key and trunk key were the same. I was skeptical about that until he removed the glovebox cylinder and showed me a code which gave him the information to make a key for the trunk. It actually worked. I don't know if this holds true for all GM cars or even for the a body series, but it worked in my case. I will now get a second set made.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 442garage
Hey everybody,

Yesterday I locked my keys in the trunk of my car. It is a 67 Olds 442 convertible. I did not have a hidden key on the car, nor did I have an extra set, so needless to say I called AAA and they sent out a locksmith, who told me that the glovebox key and trunk key were the same. I was skeptical about that until he removed the glovebox cylinder and showed me a code which gave him the information to make a key for the trunk. It actually worked. I don't know if this holds true for all GM cars or even for the a body series, but it worked in my case. I will now get a second set made.
And console lock, I believe.............
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:52 AM

I knew it, I always have a spare set on me - it took 40 years to need but the car wash actually locked the keys in the wagon last month, asked me if I had a spare set, and I just smiled and reached in my pocket.

I have turned in to my grandfather.
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
And console lock, I believe.............
Correct. There were only two keys. Prior to 1971, door and ignition were one, trunk, glovebox, and console were the other. I believe it was the 1971 model year when the door was make the same as the trunk and the ignition was by itself.
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Correct. There were only two keys. Prior to 1971, door and ignition were one, trunk, glovebox, and console were the other. I believe it was the 1971 model year when the door was make the same as the trunk and the ignition was by itself.
As always, Joe you are the guy in the know! Also thanks to W30.

Les
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM

or you can put in an electric trunk release in
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM

You have to be smarter than the tool your using....

You know the back seat pulls out in about 10 minutes and you can reach in with a coat hanger or a telescopic magnetic tool or 1 of those cable type 4 finger tools to reach and grab the key ring.....I'd call a lock smith as an absolute last resort....The back seat and flashlight would have saved you some $$$. It's good to know about the code thats handy to have....I just wonder if that code is on any other piece of literature that comes with the car. Protecto plate or build sheet maybe. Just thinking of a better mousetrap. Oldsdroptop
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM

My '71 is: one key (square) for ignition, door & glove box, the oval one opens the trunk.
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I believe it was the 1971 model year when the door was make the same as the trunk and the ignition was by itself.
per the 71 owner's manual;

Key with square head (stamped "A") - for ignition switch, door locks, and station wagon tailgate.

Key with oval head (stamped "B") for all other locks.

I'm thinking it was 73 when the ignition key became stand alone.
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by oldsdroptop
You know the back seat pulls out in about 10 minutes and you can reach in with a coat hanger or a telescopic magnetic tool or 1 of those cable type 4 finger tools to reach and grab the key ring.....I'd call a lock smith as an absolute last resort....The back seat and flashlight would have saved you some $$$. It's good to know about the code thats handy to have....I just wonder if that code is on any other piece of literature that comes with the car. Protecto plate or build sheet maybe. Just thinking of a better mousetrap. Oldsdroptop
Isn't AAA free though?
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
My '71 is: one key (square) for ignition, door & glove box, the oval one opens the trunk.
Same on my '71.
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM

yeah funny story when I bought this Car a few years back I locked the door and went into a local store and came out and found the round key wouldn't work on the door. (WTF!) I was only a few miles from home and ran back to my house to get my other Car and called the guy I bought the Car from and said hey you didn't tell me the keys didn't work..what Gives? He said did you try the square one? I said why the hell would I do that! He said yeah the Door key was the square one. I excused myself went back to the Car and opened the door. That won't happen again.
Old May 10th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Depending on HOW original your car is, sometimes the knockouts are still in the original key itself, or sometimes they were put on a small split ring seperately. But how many people still have those?

Last edited by mike's88; May 10th, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
per the 71 owner's manual;

Key with square head (stamped "A") - for ignition switch, door locks, and station wagon tailgate.

Key with oval head (stamped "B") for all other locks.

I'm thinking it was 73 when the ignition key became stand alone.
OK, it must be 1972 then. I've never owned a 73.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:09 PM

I had a 73 Monte but the ex got custody. between 73 and 78 it was hit, or hit something, 8 times. I didn't want any part of it..... or her
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Smile

That might be the case with your car, but not mine, I have the battery and a lot of electrical components mounted in the trunk, there are custom panels that I would have to unscrew to access the trunk area, so yes it could be done but not easily, and as was mentioned in another post AAA doesn't cost me anything.