General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Amazing Heater

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Thumbs up Amazing Heater

My wife and I just got back from a little cruise in the Olds to get dinner, and boy I tell you the heater in that thing really works! I was cooking in no time, and that's not even on high (haven't replaced high blower relay yet).

It's currently about 32F outside. I was curious to take it for a spin last week when it was around 10 degrees, but the snow made me change my mind. Anyway, I'm impressed, warms up faster and blows hotter than my Toyota's heater and I replaced the heater core in that about 7 months ago.
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:34 PM

I agree with you. These V8 engines really create some good engine heat and the heaters were always strong. I have NEVER had an Olds heater fan on high. Even on low, often my right foot gets too hot and I have to turn the temp down. That was about at 32* also. I bet they are nice up north!

Unfortunately, I did not get around to replacing Lady's core this year, so our tops-down Christmas light cruise this year will be a bit colder. Just the seat heaters, extra clothes, and the plug-in hot drink mug full of hot cocoa!
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:41 PM
1974 DELTA 88

I don't think I'll need high either. I've used the heater a little before, but tonight was the first cold night drive in it. The relay wasn't a huge priority, but I think it's even less now.

Top down Christmas light cruise sounds like a good time. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try it though.

Heated seats... that's a nice touch, was that an Olds option?
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:49 PM

It's a fun ride. Where we go it is very crowded, so it is almost like walking. We put the top up when going to and fro.
We get lots of friendly comments, even from Santa on a scooter.

Originally Posted by AZ455
Heated seats... that's a nice touch, was that an Olds option?
Only in my brochure...
Old December 8th, 2011, 07:01 PM
NOVICE car nut

My wife and I just got back from a little cruise in the Olds to get dinner, and boy I tell you the heater in that thing really works! I was cooking in no time, and that's not even on high (haven't replaced high blower relay yet).

It's currently about 32F outside. I was curious to take it for a spin last week when it was around 10 degrees, but the snow made me change my mind. Anyway, I'm impressed, warms up faster and blows hotter than my Toyota's heater and I replaced the heater core in that about 7 months ago.
I know what you mean , my heater gets so hot my legs start to burn
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mine takes about 3 minutes to start cooking ham n eggs. Can't believe it. The only other car that did this was my 85 Calais.

I used to leave my heater on "heat' and the 'hot' setting - fan at low even in the summer to help keep the engine a little cooler. Should be ok now though, found out the reason it was running hot was the timing. Installing HD cooling and fan shroud next summer.
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Always room for one more

Some heat!

I was very impressed with the heater in my 70 Cutlass, when I bought it way back in 1984. The heater switch was broken so I only had low fan, but even in the depths of a Chicago winter, I'd have to turn the heat down if I was in the car more than a little while. My 70 convertible was the same way.

Mike

Last edited by slantflat; December 8th, 2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Left out a word
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:10 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

All my v8 equipped American cars had geat heaters, even my diesel Olds. The only European car I remember even coming close was a Volvo 245, not really surprising for a car built in Sweden.

When I was a kid my sisters and me were sat in the back seat with a rug over our laps, I don't think the old wrecks of cars my dad could afford were actually equipped with heaters.
A heater used to be an extra cost option on British cars, we didn't have winters like your northern states but it still got damn cold.

Roger.
Old December 9th, 2011, 09:43 AM

My old Caddies, 71 and 72 that I had and my Cutlass can really crank out the heat. Neither of my V8 powered Grand Marquis can crank out heat like those though. The Cutlass is asleep for the winter. I probably won't drive it again till late March.
Old December 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
71 cutlass convertible

The only time I had the heater on my 71 on high was a new year's day ride. It was about 25 and the top was down. Feet were hot but the ears at 55 were cold.

Larry
Old December 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
The only time I had the heater on my 71 on high was a new year's day ride. It was about 25 and the top was down. Feet were hot but the ears at 55 were cold.

Larry
Try using VENT position if you have A/C. It helps some when the top is down. I wish there was a bi-level feature like in the 80's models...

Wow- - thats a bit too cold and too fast with the top down!
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM

I've got a good one for you guys. I had to drive my car 4 blocks last night without a windshield. And it's -3 degrees celcius up here in these parts..

From now on, i appreciate every windshielded car i drive in..
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Cutlass Lover

I love Teepo's heater, lol!! She really cranks out the heat, and I've never had it up on high either. My feet and legs get hot real fast, and I have to turn it down. I love the heaters in these cars!! Much better than the heaters in today's cars.
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
I've got a good one for you guys. I had to drive my car 4 blocks last night without a windshield.
From now on, i appreciate every windshielded car i drive in..
Hehe... Hope you had a ski mask or motorcycle helmet!
Speaking of which, when i first started riding motorcycles, my first ride with the windshield detached was my last. Getting a june bug right between the eyes at 30mph was not my idea of fun. It did teach me to leave the WS on...
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Rob: Those Christmas lights y'all go look at - where are they - up in Sourhern Oklahoma? We gonna' hit some in Juju's little '94 w/top down in East Dallas/West Mesquite. Really some pretty areas.
Aron
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Rob: Those Christmas lights y'all go look at - where are they
No, they are really close to home - Deerfield in Plano.
http://www.deerfieldplano.org/Holiday-Information~250326~616.htm

After going once in 2007, it just turned into an annual event - lots of fun!
Tops down, heat on, hot cocoa in hand, festive dress, and lots of classic Christmas music.
From what I have seen, Lady has always been the lone classic convertible and the only one with the top down!

If you choose to go here, I can send you a handwritten map on the most logical working routes to see the most without backtracking. It takes about an hour and a half.

Old December 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Rob - Think I just added a new activity to my holiday to-do list with the family, thanks for the idea. And yes, old car heaters do work well.
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:01 PM
1974 DELTA 88

The only modern foreign car I have ridden in that compares is my wife's Hyundai. Man that thing will roast me after a while too. I end up shutting off the passenger side vents when I am in there, but my feet are still cooking.

That's the newest vehicle I have ridden in in a long time, so maybe they are all good these days...
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:45 PM

We do the top down Christmas light viewing thing every year also.Feet are warm back of neck is a popsicle, lots of fun, and I am the cup holder on that escapade ...Tedd