General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Aluminum 215 identification?

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM

Aluminum 215 identification?

Hello,

Can anybody help me ID this engine? I assumed (and was told when I bought it) that it was an Olds 215 because of the valve covers (logo and slanted). However, I cannot find any stampings on the front of the passenger head where they are supposed to be. Instead I am seeing a stamping on the block, which is where Pontiac and Buick engines were stamped. Can anybody help shed some light on this?

IMAG03441.jpg

Thanks.
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

It looks like a 1961 2bbl motor from the intake, assuming that's original.
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Any thoughts on the lack of stamped #'s on the heads? They can't be buick heads or the valve covers wouldn't fit, right? I checked the front and rear of both pass and drivers side heads, no stampings visible.
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by olds70supreme
Any thoughts on the lack of stamped #'s on the heads? They can't be buick heads or the valve covers wouldn't fit, right? I checked the front and rear of both pass and drivers side heads, no stampings visible.

The BOP 215 was sold to Land Rover sometime in the 60"s.The heads and block could be out of a Rover.They never should have never sold it.......
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM

check the other end of the driver side head. if they were off the engine at some point maybe someone put them on opposite sides. other than that someone would have likely changed the head. i had a 62 Dynamic 88 and had a cracked head on the one that had the numbers. i replaced it with a head that didn't have numbers.
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM

That is definetly an Olds motor .The engine ID numbers are on the front of the right cylinder head.
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

According to the 62 CSM the stamping on the 215 block is a production number only. Take a look at page 226. It has a fig showing the engine number location. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_1-2.pdf Don't know if this helps much.

some other 215 links
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/GM...tification.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine
http://www.tpocr.com/oldsec.html
Old February 11th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sammy
The BOP 215 was sold to Land Rover sometime in the 60"s.The heads and block could be out of a Rover.They never should have never sold it.......
The Olds version of the 215 used a unique block and heads. The Olds heads used a five bolt valve cover with the valve cover gasket surface parallel to the deck surface. The Buick/Rover versions use a four bolt valve cover and the gasket surface is not parallel to the deck. Also the Olds motors have six head bolts around each cylinder, the Buford has five (Rovers used five and later four). The engine in the photos is unquestionably an Olds 215.