General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Alternator bracket fitment question.

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2024 | 01:03 PM

Alternator bracket fitment question.

I recently got this 455 Oldsmobile for my birthday in February. I want to make some period correct alternator brackets. The one is an exact match as my 350olds in my 77 buick lesabre. My 350 olds just has the front bracket. Is there a way to use both of these brackets? The rear is for the 455 olds. Front one said it was in the ebay listing but they don’t line up. All help is appreciated and welcomed.also the 455 will have A/C, using what is in the car now.

Last edited by DasBuick77; April 17th, 2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old April 17th, 2024 | 06:13 PM

Essentially, you have two different brackets that are each part of a different style "multi-bracket" set. The rear bracket you have is part of a 2-braket set, and you are missing the front bracket that looks like the one below.

The set looks like this:

The front bracket that you have is part of a different style 3-braket set. You are missing the lower 2 brackets that look like the ones below.

The set looks like this:

The problem is that you do not have the lower adjustment section for either set, so you cannot use only what you have pictured. You will need to buy the missing parts for one of the sets.

Old April 17th, 2024 | 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
Essentially, you have two different brackets that are each part of a different style "multi-bracket" set. The rear bracket you have is part of a 2-braket set, and you are missing the front bracket that looks like the one below.

The set looks like this:

The front bracket that you have is part of a different style 3-braket set. You are missing the lower 2 brackets that look like the ones below.

The set looks like this:

The problem is that you do not have the lower adjustment section for either set, so you cannot use only what you have pictured. You will need to buy the missing parts for one of the sets.
thank you for your help and pictures to help me and others make sure they get the correct parts. The items i have currently are a result of a several weeks of searching on eBay. For that front bracket i have the lower one but not the back one that’s on my 350 olds in my 1977 buick lesabre.

Hope i can find the rest of whichever one i want to use, but my biggest issue is will the current PS bracket on my 350 work with that H/C setup on the 455?
Old April 17th, 2024 | 06:39 PM

Post some pics of your current P/S brackets to be sure, but they should work with either of the alternator bracket versions. What model and year car is the 455 going into? Or, are you putting the 455 into your 77 Buick? If the 455 is replacing the 350 in the Buick, you should be able to transfer all the brackets over. I believe the 2-bracket style alternator brackets were used from 68-71, and the 3-bracket style was used from 72-76.