General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

All metal Power Steering line?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2022, 06:56 PM

All metal Power Steering line?

I am in the midst of having my head gaskets replaced and decided to have my leaking power steering pump replaced at the same time. The parts guy at the shop said he had to special order the pressure line from NAPA because it was very specific to the 1971 cutlass supreme. He said the line was all metal with bends specific to my car. He said he gave my VIN number to order The line. The part is being shipped across the country and who knows how long that will take. I went into Oreillys and checked to see if they had the high pressure line for the car. He showed me the part on the screen and it was a rubber line with metal pressure fittings on the ends. He also said there is no all metal line because the flex of the motor would break it. Is the mechanic full of **** or is there an all metal line involved with replacing the power steering pump?
Old May 16th, 2022, 07:17 PM

There is no all metal power steering line on your/our middle aged Oldsmobiles. The guy @ Oreilly’s is right, go figure. Shop/NAPA guy could be misinterpreting pics, might be a good time to check crossover of part numbers between the two, and other sources as well. See what you can find out so you don’t wait a week for a transmission line to arrive at NAPA. That’s not to say he didn’t order the right part,

Personally, I’d slightly overpay for one from Fusick or other Olds resto biz and rest assured it will be as right as is available, too much part consolidation has occurred over the decades. I gave up even trying to get decent fitting radiator hoses from NAPA, et al. I’d rather get something that fits even if it’s a few bucks more.

​​​​​​….

Last edited by bccan; May 16th, 2022 at 07:30 PM.
Old May 16th, 2022, 07:28 PM
Running On Empty

What happens is someone doesn’t take the time to match correct pictures with correct part numbers in many cases which leads to confusion among automotive parts stores. This used to upset me a great deal. But, I’ll bet dollars to donuts NAPA and the majority of parts stores (not Rock Auto) don’t bank on any significant amount of revenue from 50+ year old vehicles. I’m not saying that’s OK, but it doesn’t **** me off as much any longer and I’ve become super critical of cross referencing original part numbers.
Old May 16th, 2022, 07:36 PM

It was actually the parts guy at the counter of the repair shop, not NAPA, who told me the line was all metal which is worse because he should be The one looking at the part being replaced. The guy at O'Reillys is about 10 years older than at the shop, not to be ageist mind you, but a lot of youngsters think a Cutlass is a Chevy
Old May 16th, 2022, 07:42 PM
Running On Empty

I’ll bet he wasn’t looking at the CSM, the PIM or the OEM parts numbers manuals.
Old May 16th, 2022, 08:01 PM

Here is the O'Reillys part number 13401598. I googled it and it has all the specs and says it fits a 1971 Cutlass Supreme 350 4bbl. I have a 455 in the car now, but the peripherals where all from the original 350.
Old May 16th, 2022, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Donaldbabineau
Here is the O'Reillys part number 13401598. I googled it and it has all the specs and says it fits a 1971 Cutlass Supreme 350 4bbl. I have a 455 in the car now, but the peripherals where all from the original 350.
If you look at that part number on O'Reilly's web site, there is a Compatible Vehicles tab which shows just about every 1971-1972 Oldsmobile vehicle with any engine.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...oldsmobile-442

So I think you're OK.

Last edited by Fun71; May 16th, 2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old May 16th, 2022, 11:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Wow. "Mechanics" and "parts stores" don't have a clue. I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you...
Old May 17th, 2022, 12:22 AM

The line can’t be all metal, there has to be hose in the middle. Problem #1 with all metal is engine vibration/movement will crack a metal line just driving around the block. Problem #2: there has to be some ability to move to allow power steering pump adjustment.

Unless you absolutely have to have a 100% accurate part, use the O’Reilly part. I have done enough Olds engine swaps over the years to know that usually there is enough line to make the hose fit. The power steering pump and gearbox are close enough they the various car line that the line will usually work. The only hang up is the later years when they started to use hose ends with O-rings instead of flare fitting like the early cars.

Old May 17th, 2022, 12:52 AM

I have found that when I go into a parts place, I ask........"Who is the oldest guy here?"
Then, "How old are you ?"
If they answer any number less than 50, I ask "Is anyone working here over 50 ?"
If they have someone over 50, I ask "When do they work again ?"
I get his name, remember it and come back.
Old May 17th, 2022, 02:13 AM

I got nothin'
Old May 17th, 2022, 04:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Let's make this easy. Look in the factory parts book. All 1971-72 RWD Oldsmobiles with V8 used PS pressure hose P/N 7811783. There is no uncertainty about this and engine size doesn't matter. This is why I look up the P/N myself and order that way. RockAuto has about half a dozen different versions of this hose, all about $16. Gates P/N 353730 should be available pretty much everywhere. Clearly the "experts" you are talking to have no clue.

Old May 17th, 2022, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
If you look at that part number on O'Reilly's web site, there is a Compatible Vehicles tab which shows just about every 1971-1972 Oldsmobile vehicle with any engine.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...oldsmobile-442

So I think you're OK.
I saw that and it is consistent with the interchangeably of bracketry and other parts.