General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Aftermarket gauges for 307

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM

Aftermarket gauges for 307

Since this is partly engine related, partly electrical, even I guess partly interior, since that is where the gauges will be placed, I didn't know where to place this thread.

Ok, I have 3 Cobalt full-sweep, electric gauges, Volts, Oil Pressure and Water temperature. My Delta does not have the extra factory gauges, and since I am driving my car longer distances, I want to be able to keep an eye on it.

I would like to install them but keep my warning lights fully functional.

I have been told there are numerous points on the engine where I can insert the water temp sensor, but can anyone tell me where a good one is located, other than the location of the factory sensor?

For the oil pressure, I have been told I could use a "T", but can someone tell me exactly what to look for in a store? And do I just put the T in the block, and then the warning light and gauge sensors into the T?
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by car_designer
Since this is partly engine related, partly electrical, even I guess partly interior, since that is where the gauges will be placed, I didn't know where to place this thread.

Ok, I have 3 Cobalt full-sweep, electric gauges, Volts, Oil Pressure and Water temperature. My Delta does not have the extra factory gauges, and since I am driving my car longer distances, I want to be able to keep an eye on it.

I would like to install them but keep my warning lights fully functional.

I have been told there are numerous points on the engine where I can insert the water temp sensor, but can anyone tell me where a good one is located, other than the location of the factory sensor?

For the oil pressure, I have been told I could use a "T", but can someone tell me exactly what to look for in a store? And do I just put the T in the block, and then the warning light and gauge sensors into the T?
The oil pressure sender is easy. You need a 1/8 NPT nipple (about 1" or 1.5" long) and a 1/8 NPT tee. You want all three ends of the tee to be female thread. I put the nipple in one end of the tee, the gauge sender in the other end, and the idiot light sender in the middle. Unscrew the stock sender from the front of the block (to the driver's side of the oil fill tube) and screw the nipple in place there. Be sure to use teflon tape or other sealer on the pipe threads.

The water temp is a different problem. The temp sender must be in the flow, so you can't just use a tee. If you're still using the stock computer on the 307, there are two senders in the water crossover at the front of the intake. The outboard sender is needed to operate the computer. The sender closer to the thermostat is the one that operates the gauge or the idiot light. The factory gauge pack uses a special sender that includes both the variable resistor for the gauge and the switch for the chime package (or idiot light). Unfortunately, the resistance of this sender may not be correct for your aftermarket gauges. If your intake has a threaded bung another sender on the other side of the thermostat, you could use that, but usually this is used by the fuel evaporation system thremo vacuum switch. The other option is the sender at the back driver's side of the intake that operates the EFE system. If you are not using the EFE, the gauge sender can go there. Failing all else, there are aftermarket fittings that go in the upper radiator hose and have a threaded bung for a sender.
Old March 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM

I forgot to mention, mine is a Canadian car, so no computer.
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by car_designer
I forgot to mention, mine is a Canadian car, so no computer.
In that case there should be a threaded bung in the water crossover at the front of the intake on the driver's side where the temp sensor for the computer would be installed. If so, remove the plug and insert your gauge sender there.