General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Add AC & Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2017, 06:12 PM

Question Add AC & Power Steering

My 69 442 was born without ac or power steering and when it was restored it was put back to the way it rolls off the assembly line.

I'd like to add AC and PS to the car. Can someone tell me what all I'll need to get to make this happen? I know I'll need pulleys and brackets but I'm not sure where to start looking.
Old July 27th, 2017, 06:39 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

if you have a factory non-AC car you'll essentially need to start from scratch with an aftermarket retro-fit system such as Classic Auto Air or Vintage Air - factory AC firewall and duct work is different from non-AC and original equipment won't readily interchange. Expect $$$$ investment

as to adding power steering, that's much simpler. you need the pump bracket, mounting hardware, proper groove pulleys for pump and crank, correct pitman arm, rag joint, your choice of factory-fit pumps, proper pressure hose and return line and steering gears (many sources available for these, both remanufactured originals and new higher performance items). this is a fairly cheap upgrade depending on what you decide on for pump and gearbox.

Steering parts are standard A-body stuff, same for all 68-72 GM - available thru any decent auto parts store. ebay, numerous online vendors, board members, etc. If you want a great, complete direct-replacement kit (less bracket), check the CPP (classic performance parts) website for their 500 series kit.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...o/CPP68PSK.htm

you can buy the p/s parts in kit form (with new or remanufactured pump/gearbox units) with everything included, possibly even with the correct brackets (but if not, many board members will likely have them available for sale).

Last edited by 70sgeek; July 27th, 2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:16 PM

I have most of the PS & Alt brackets, The pump has the wrong pulley but the pump and brackets are right. Let me know, Thanks

Johnny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
000_2490.JPG (853.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg
000_2505.JPG (1.57 MB, 3 views)
Old July 28th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Power steering is easy. Retrofit of the stock A/C pretty much requires disassembly of the car. Front end sheet metal has to come off, dash has to come off, etc. The only cost effective way to do this is to purchase a complete A/C parts car.
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Power steering is easy. Retrofit of the stock A/C pretty much requires disassembly of the car. Front end sheet metal has to come off, dash has to come off, etc. The only cost effective way to do this is to purchase a complete A/C parts car.

MANY years ago I did the factory A/C retrofit on a 69 Cutlass. I used a 68 Cutlass as a donor and just swapped everything car to car. As I recall the only firewall issue was enlarging some openings, having the donor car sitting there is a major help. I replaced the compressor and expansion valve and paid to get it evacuated and charged, it worked fine. Today you would have to think about R-134 conversion and probably replace more parts to be safe.
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Don R.
As I recall the only firewall issue was enlarging some openings,
Correct. The A/C openings in the firewall encompass the heater-only openings, so you can simply cut them larger. The problem is pulling all the front sheet metal and the dash to get access.
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:43 AM

Would a Vintage Air or similar kit be easier than sourcing all of the OE parts? It seems like for ~$1500 I can get a VintageAir system. I think I still provide my own crank pulley
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lsx442
Would a Vintage Air or similar kit be easier than sourcing all of the OE parts? It seems like for ~$1500 I can get a VintageAir system. I think I still provide my own crank pulley
If all you want is to add A/C, an under-dash unit is even easier and less expensive.

Old July 28th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Joe I hadn't thought of that system but I will look into it. I had a friend with an F100 with a kit like that and it seemed to work really well.

Driving in this 100 degree weather without ac is tough. I don't know how I did it when I was youngster

Just a follow up question a will AC & PS brackets from a 77 Olds 350 motor work on my 69 400?