General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Adam-12

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM

Adam-12

Does anybody out there watch Adam-12? I watch it at least 5 times a week just to see the cars in the background. I find myself turning a 20 minute episode (minus commercials) into at least 30 to 40 minutes as I keep hitting the rewind button to look at the cars.

I was watching an episode titled "G.T.A." which is about a car theft ring. The story line is around a scrap dealer who has cars stolen and abandoned. He waits a couple of days then sends out one of his tow trucks to recover the abandoned car. While watching a 64 Cutlass Convertible met its end as it went through a car shredder and the next thing you see is bits and pieces coming out the other end. It didn't make it to it's 12th B-day as this episode came out in 75.
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by FTW65W29
Does anybody out there watch Adam-12? I watch it at least 5 times a week just to see the cars in the background. I find myself turning a 20 minute episode (minus commercials) into at least 30 to 40 minutes as I keep hitting the rewind button to look at the cars.
I've watched it for this reason, too, along with the late '60s version of Dragnet. Lots of outdoor road scenes. I do remember one scene where Friday and Gannon were on a stakeout in their car, and so we were getting lots of scenes from the camera sitting on their dash looking backwards. Parked on the street right behind them was an early '60s Starfire.

But one thing you immediately notice is how often you see the same outdoor road footage used over and over, especially on Adam-12.

There was an episode of the Cosby Show that was a treat for Olds fans. It was the episode where daughter Denise has gotten her driver's license and wants to buy car. At first Dad is reluctant but eventually helps her negotiate with the seller. The car they bought was a '62 or '63 Starfire, and we did get a few nice glimpses of it. That show was very "interior" focused, with almost no outdoor scenes, but they did drag the car onto the set in the Huxtable's "backyard."
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Registered

My Vista Cruiser was purchased new by a Los Angeles cop and he kept it until '93. Sat waiting for a resto since '93 in a heated garage in Wisconsin until I got it.
I watch Adam-12 sometimes but never see it parked in employee parking.
A big Adam-12 fan on another site said they drive by an Olds dealer in a few episodes and one was sitting there like mine, I wonder???

I did get to meet Reed and Malloy when they were appearing at the Cleveland Autorama back in the day.
Now they get some lame soap opera actor nobody has ever heard of or would even care about if they did.
Old December 20th, 2009, 06:34 AM

there is an episode of Magnum PI that shows a black SX in the background while Thomas (or maybe one of his buddies, I can't remember) is subduing a bad guy while rolling around on the street. RTV has helped bring back car watching.

Old December 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Where are you guys watching these shows, like what network. In mass there are no re-runs of these old shows.
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Registered

Yu can watch Adam-12 online, Emergency! and Dragnet too.

http://www.hulu.com/adam-12
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I've watched it for this reason, too, along with the late '60s version of Dragnet. Lots of outdoor road scenes. I do remember one scene where Friday and Gannon were on a stakeout in their car, and so we were getting lots of scenes from the camera sitting on their dash looking backwards. Parked on the street right behind them was an early '60s Starfire.

But one thing you immediately notice is how often you see the same outdoor road footage used over and over, especially on Adam-12.

There was an episode of the Cosby Show that was a treat for Olds fans. It was the episode where daughter Denise has gotten her driver's license and wants to buy car. At first Dad is reluctant but eventually helps her negotiate with the seller. The car they bought was a '62 or '63 Starfire, and we did get a few nice glimpses of it. That show was very "interior" focused, with almost no outdoor scenes, but they did drag the car onto the set in the Huxtable's "backyard."
Its a maroon 1962 example, and Daddy Huxable buys it for $850!

It is very painful for me to watch the Cosby Show (yes that episode) and Ironsides too (first season, cira 1967, ther is a light blue 63 98 sport coupe), and the second of Chips too (brown 63 Starfire ragtop , inside shots).
My Dad had a light blue 63 Starfire for almost 20 years (had to sell , not becasue he wanted to). Still burns me up, think about it .
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up

I remeber seeing that show in reruns, back in the late 70s! I was a little back then, and remeber when Pete M , gets his brand new 1974 AMC MAtdor run into.
Loved that show (and any Jack Webb show for that matter)
Of cousre I remeber seeing the Adamm-12 chacters on Dragnet, and the polit epsiode of Emeregy (1972).
It came to me, that the very same 1972 polit show of Emeregy had route 66 written all over it!
Neslon Riddle who wrote the theme song to Rt 66, also did that show too !
Bobby Troupe wrote wrote the song"Get your Kicks on Rt 66", play one of the doctors on that show(grey haried dude)!
Pete M./Martin M (Adam 12 ) is on there chatting with the blonde nurse (Jack Webb's wife in real life), starred in Rt 66, back in the 1960s.

Last edited by toro68; December 20th, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
there is an episode of Magnum PI that shows a black SX in the background while Thomas (or maybe one of his buddies, I can't remember) is subduing a bad guy while rolling around on the street. RTV has helped bring back car watching.

Polit show, part 2 I saw it, The rear quarter window is shot out.
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jpc647
Where are you guys watching these shows, like what network. In mass there are no re-runs of these old shows.
They turn in up in a number of places. The internet is one, as Bluevista points out, but then you have to be sitting at your computer (and have a broadband connection) to watch.

I can watch both right now on the "Retro TV Network," which is one of the digital side channels offered by one of the network affiliates in Columbus, Ohio. At least, that's where it turns up on my Time Warner cable system. Channel 995 every weekday at 5 and 5:30 p.m. There are other channels, too, the will have them from time time, like the American Life TV network and TV One. TV Land used to broadcast both extensively, but I haven't seen them there in a while.

I doubt you'll find them over-the-air, unless, like I say, your local station broadcasts extra digital signals. These would be numbered "point" something. For example, the NBC affiliate in Columbus is on channel 4, but you can also find programming on channel 4.1, 4.2, etc. One of those is just a 24-hour weather station. Other stations do this, too, to different degrees. It depends on the station.
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
RTV has helped bring back car watching.

And here I thought I was the only one...

Whenever one of these shows is on, I'm always telling my wife "look at that car".
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:02 PM

I just want to mention, the " Who Won" episode(1972) has a 1967 Olds Delmont 88 LAPD squad car. Plus its about drag racing.
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Registered

I have Time-Warner, I'll have to see if I can get it.
I may already have it and not know it too.

I was looking at an "Emergency!" series site and a guy was talking about fire truck engines in relation to car engines of the time.

I never knew...

"To compare most North American cars at that time had engines ranging from 200 cu in (found in the Ford Maverick, Valiants, and similar sized cars) to 450 cu. (found in Oldsmobile Delta 88's, Cadillacs and Lincoln Continentals, and also in muscle cars such as the Barracuda, Corvette, Mustang, Mustang/Shelby, and Camero"

I want one of those 450 CID Bacaruda engines.
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:46 PM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks for the link for Adam-12, have not seen that in years. That's why I liked watching the Rockford Files and the fugitive. Great stories, great cars and chase scenes.
Old December 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Gearhead

I love that show. I've been watching it on Hulu. Did you see the episode with the orange '70 GTO? That was the same car used in the movie Two Lane Blacktop.

Here's a picture of the Adam-12 wagon I used to have. It was a tribute to Sgt. Mac.

plymouthwagon2.jpg
Old December 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM

Used to watch reruns of "Bewitched" for the same reasons, to see what Chevy Darrin was driving.
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM
Official Tire Kicker

ADam 12 and all those old shows are great for a nostalgic look at life back then and watching all our cars on the road driving normally every day.
In one episode of Streets Of San Francisco there was a scene were Michael Douglas parks his car right next to 69 Hurst/Olds and the camera pans out and you can see the entire car for a couple of seconds.

Last edited by Willidog; December 21st, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
GM Enthusiast

Now I'm watching Hulu thanks to you. Even my 3 year old likes the old car scenes. He already has good taste.