General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

‘76 vs ‘77 cutlass supreme

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2020, 10:07 AM

‘76 vs ‘77 cutlass supreme

Hello,
I was looking at buying or restoring a 1976 cutlass supreme like the old my dad had. I was able to find a 1977 on sale and it looks the same from outside and mostly inside. does anyone if the frame/ exterior is in fact the same btw the two models? What is the different btw the two? Basically I was thinking of getting the ‘77 because it’s in better shape and has the interior color fabric (burgundy) , whereas the ‘76 I would have to swap the interior .

thoughts?
Old April 12th, 2020, 10:25 AM

I loved my 77 Supreme, but aftermarket support was... lacking. If I buy another it will be as close to good condition as I can find. Broken grilles are common and can be difficult to replace, among other things. I would buy the one in better shape.
Old April 12th, 2020, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
I loved my 77 Supreme, but aftermarket support was... lacking. If I buy another it will be as close to good condition as I can find. Broken grilles are common and can be difficult to replace, among other things. I would buy the one in better shape.
thx curvewrecker for feedback. It makes sense to me. I want the car to feel like the old car my dad drove so if 77 is same look in and out then it’s a better option since it’s in better shape. I didn’t know it’s same ..
Old April 12th, 2020, 12:05 PM

73-77 Cutlasses are known as the Forgotten Years. It was all I could do to find undamaged replacement parts for things like Grilles, bumper fillers, Interior pieces, etc. Mechanical repairs were easy enough but cosmetic upgrades and repairs were very difficult and expensive. There is a forum dedicated to these cars, and I found it to be a very helpful and friendly place.

http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/
Old April 12th, 2020, 01:30 PM

73-77 Cutlasses are known as the Forgotten Years. It was all I could do to find undamaged replacement parts for things like Grilles, bumper fillers, Interior pieces, etc. Mechanical repairs were easy enough but cosmetic upgrades and repairs were very difficult and expensive. There is a forum dedicated to these cars, and I found it to be a very helpful and friendly place.

http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/
thank you!
Old April 12th, 2020, 02:25 PM

The exteriors are the same with the grilles being different

The interiors are almost identical as well with the passenger vents and the horn pad being the outliers.

The other thing is starting in 1977 GM went to 85 mph speedometers from the 120's that they had previously.
Old April 12th, 2020, 03:10 PM

Very subtle different rear tail light housings but if not for the grill not many people know the difference when it drives by . I’ve owned both saw no difference in ride ,handling ,driving etc. 76 was the last year for the 455 , and I do like the 120 speedo in my 76. I had a broken grill In my 76 and finally found a nice driver quality grill , but have yet to see an nos grill come up for either . So as stated above good parts are hard to come by , but they’re still out there .
Old April 12th, 2020, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
The exteriors are the same with the grilles being different

The interiors are almost identical as well with the passenger vents and the horn pad being the outliers.

The other thing is starting in 1977 GM went to 85 mph speedometers from the 120's that they had previously.
hmm that is very helpful. I’m torn because my dads 76 had burgundy interior and the 76 I found is tan and would be difficult to swap interior. Whereas ‘77 had the burgundy interior and in good shape. I would just have to change the paint to white . My dad had the white on burgundy combo on his ‘76.

Old April 12th, 2020, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
Very subtle different rear tail light housings but if not for the grill not many people know the difference when it drives by . I’ve owned both saw no difference in ride ,handling ,driving etc. 76 was the last year for the 455 , and I do like the 120 speedo in my 76. I had a broken grill In my 76 and finally found a nice driver quality grill , but have yet to see an nos grill come up for either . So as stated above good parts are hard to come by , but they’re still out there .
Good to know quality of ride is similar. Of course I would like to have a ‘76 to match what my dad had. But if difference are very minor I don’t really want to get the tan on tan ‘76 and trying swapping interior etc. For me interior is a deal breaker. It’s got to be the burgundy or won’t feel the same.

Last edited by Kramer; April 12th, 2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old April 12th, 2020, 03:53 PM

I would always pick the one with the least mount of rust , including the underbody and frame saves as lot of time and money.living in the northeast rust is my arch enemy
Old April 12th, 2020, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
I would always pick the one with the least mount of rust , including the underbody and frame saves as lot of time and money.living in the northeast rust is my arch enemy
you are right. I live in Toronto, Canada winter can destroy cars!
Old April 12th, 2020, 04:12 PM

It was easier to have my 77 repainted than it was to upgrade the faded and worn interior. Mine was a Wisconsin car with light (by local standards) rust.
Old April 12th, 2020, 04:21 PM

it was easier to have my 77 repainted than it was to upgrade the faded and worn interior. Mine was a wisconsin car with light (by local standards) rust.
👌🏼
How can I confirm the actual paint colour used on my dads ‘76? I have the VIN still , would that help?
Old April 12th, 2020, 04:27 PM

If you have a picture of the original color a local auto paint shop should be able to come up with a base/clear that is close to exact. My car was silver, and I ended up using a Honda color (if I recall correctly).
Old April 12th, 2020, 04:38 PM
Bfg

I have had both. The dash pads used different materials with the 73 thru 76 using a thicker vinyl than the 77. The 77’s were more prone to cracking.
Old April 12th, 2020, 04:49 PM

if you have a picture of the original color a local auto paint shop should be able to come up with a base/clear that is close to exact. My car was silver, and i ended up using a honda color (if i recall correctly).
👌🏼
Old April 12th, 2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bfg
I have had both. The dash pads used different materials with the 73 thru 76 using a thicker vinyl than the 77. The 77’s were more prone to cracking.
I see. Many thx for comment!
Old April 12th, 2020, 05:32 PM

As noted the 76 dash is significantly different. Everything else is basically the same. Minor styling changes in 77. Parts are available. just need to know were to look. The, what I like to call the shiny stuff, is hardest to find. Mechanical items are reasonably common. I finished restoring mine about 5 years ago. Took me along time to find some stuff. Had a very complete no rust car. Lots of time and effort to get every part bumper to bumper like new again.
Start with a car in the best possible shape and rebuild, repaint, or re-plate. Some items are very difficult to find. Grilles, bumper rub strips, AC vents, console parts, dash parts, etc. I look for 4 years for a NOS shifter ****. There is one part I have been looking for more than 6 years.The console woodgrain around the shifter. Everything in the interior is like new. except that! looks out of place all dull and worn. One day I will find a NOS one.
If you look at my avtar, that is a painting by Len Casillo he did for me in 2009. He was the original chief of design for the Colonnade body styling. Very proud of that one.
Mike
Old April 12th, 2020, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mike77
As noted the 76 dash is significantly different. Everything else is basically the same. Minor styling changes in 77. Parts are available. just need to know were to look. The, what I like to call the shiny stuff, is hardest to find. Mechanical items are reasonably common. I finished restoring mine about 5 years ago. Took me along time to find some stuff. Had a very complete no rust car. Lots of time and effort to get every part bumper to bumper like new again.
Start with a car in the best possible shape and rebuild, repaint, or re-plate. Some items are very difficult to find. Grilles, bumper rub strips, AC vents, console parts, dash parts, etc. I look for 4 years for a NOS shifter ****. There is one part I have been looking for more than 6 years.The console woodgrain around the shifter. Everything in the interior is like new. except that! looks out of place all dull and worn. One day I will find a NOS one.
If you look at my avtar, that is a painting by Len Casillo he did for me in 2009. He was the original chief of design for the Colonnade body styling. Very proud of that one.
Mike
wow sourcing sounds challenging, definitely something I need to consider. Thx for feedback.