General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

71 cutlass convertible trunk lid

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2017, 06:47 PM

71 cutlass convertible trunk lid

ok folks I need your help. I bought a 71 cutlass convertible a few months ago and needed a trunk lid. I was able to pick up a trunk lid locally a few days ago but I believe the trunk lid is from a 4-door cutlass as the upper corners are square where as the upper corners on my convertible trunk lid were rounded. So, obviously it does not fit exactly right seeing how the new trunk lid has square corners, so do i grind the square corners and round them or what do yall recommend.

Thanks in advance
Old October 1st, 2017, 07:29 PM

The trunk lid you bought is from a supreme it will not work you need to find one from a convertible or a four-door. Thanks Brandon
Old October 1st, 2017, 08:14 PM

Brandon is correct, where some people get confused is that a convertible is a supreme but the decklid is the same as the 4-door not the 2 door supreme. I can only imagine how many 4-door deck lids got crushed because not enough people knew they were the same as convertibles
Old October 2nd, 2017, 04:45 AM

Thank you folks
Old October 2nd, 2017, 05:20 AM

If you have the skills rounding the corners of the deck lid is not that big of a deal and it will fit just fine. I would try this first since you already own it rather than starting over looking for a new one. Just my opinion
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by 442Fred
If you have the skills rounding the corners of the deck lid is not that big of a deal and it will fit just fine. I would try this first since you already own it rather than starting over looking for a new one. Just my opinion
442Fred

I guess that would be how one defined the meaning if I have the skills. I have never done that before and the only way I can think of to round the corners is by using a bench grinder and rounding the corners. Bodywork unfortunately is not my specialty.

Let me know
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:54 AM

I meant body work skills it would require you to make a pattern from the old one and then cut the new deck lid to match it. A bench grinder is only going to make a mess out of it.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Sell that trunk lid and buy a correct one. There are far more "convertible" trunk lids on the market - since they are all from four door cars. The notchback Supreme trunklids are more rare. Cutting and welding the corners is a good way to warp the heck out of an otherwise good trunklid. Repros are also available.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:29 AM

Well thankfully the gentlemen I bought it from lives 3 hours away so I spoke to him on the phone and he was very understanding and told me to bring it back and I will get my money back.

Thanks for all the help
Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by sleeton
Well thankfully the gentlemen I bought it from lives 3 hours away so I spoke to him on the phone and he was very understanding and told me to bring it back and I will get my money back.

Thanks for all the help
No that's a stand up guy. Did not know that four door lid was same as conv.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 04:37 PM

The 4 door lid is the same as far as the rounded front corners, but the trim can be completely different. Most do not have the individual O L D S M O B I L E letters that the 71-72 Supremes have and are more like the 70 with the rocket emblem around the key hole and the Cutlass script on the right side.